RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 8:23 PM

Wink probation officers frequencies in nc

i live in caswell co nc and noticed that the probation officers carry some kind of two way radios anyone have any ideas what the frequencies are. are maybe where i might find them need ideas please help
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2008, 9:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

This is not a "statewide" freq for probation officers if that is what you are asking. Most prob officers use the local law channels, usually the county sheriff's channel. We ( I am one in Lenoir County) are on the Lenoir Co TRS and we have our own talk group, this is rare.
Car numbers? Who knows! Since we are on the local system we have to follow the local car numbering plan.

In Wake Co they use NEXTEL for prob. So as you can see there is no set rule. I would suggest just listen. Prob is not going to say much as we know our "customers" have scanners too. The best time to listen is in the afternoon and evening.

Hope this answers your questions.

Rohn
Old 02-07-2008, 6:36 AM

iam no genius but there seems to me there sould be more
Old 02-07-2008, 7:25 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I am in Rocky Mount and the Probtion Officers carry 800 MHZ trunked radios that are on our system. They use all of our Law Channels. They also have VHF Mobiles in their cars, so they can talk with Nash and Edgecombe Counites.
Old 02-07-2008, 8:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

what do you mean "more" ? we use local law channels and cell phones or nextel in some counties. our transport cars may have low band "DOP" radios (div of prisons). in counties where they are not trunked the local "DCC" (Div of Community Corrections) ie; "probation parole officers" may have mobiles, again on the local law channels.

I am not keeping anything from you, this is how it is.

DOC (Dept of Corrections) has no plans to go on the VIPER. We dont even know if the radios we have will be replaced when they "wear out." We were told that when it comes time to replace radios they will be for DOC use........... only.

Rohn
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2008, 7:12 AM
Cat Herder
Database Admin

In line with what Rohn said below, Onslow County Probation has access to KIN418 (Sheriff Dispatch) but for the extremely low volume that is observed, I would say that it is a backup communications. As everyone else has said, no standard really...

Your mileage may vary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohnsRadio
This is not a "statewide" freq for probation officers if that is what you are asking. Most prob officers use the local law channels, usually the county sheriff's channel. We ( I am one in Lenoir County) are on the Lenoir Co TRS and we have our own talk group, this is rare.
Car numbers? Who knows! Since we are on the local system we have to follow the local car numbering plan.

In Wake Co they use NEXTEL for prob. So as you can see there is no set rule. I would suggest just listen. Prob is not going to say much as we know our "customers" have scanners too. The best time to listen is in the afternoon and evening.

Hope this answers your questions.

Rohn
Statewide NC RR.com Database administrator
CFP933
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Pro-96
Pro-97
And others that I got roaming around the house
Old 02-11-2008, 12:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Try monitoring this frequency and see what happens:

154.655 Mhz

This is the frequency that is licensed to the NCDOC as a prison yard/grounds channel.

I do not know if they use it outside the prison or not.

It is worth a try.

David
Old 02-11-2008, 7:58 PM

>> 154.655 Mhz

correction ... 154.665. Be advised, though, it is also used throughout S.C. for the SLED repeaters statewide.
Old 02-12-2008, 5:49 PM
DB Administrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I haven't heard a peep on 154.665 in Upstate SC in more than 2 years. Before that their transmission on this channel were encrypted, but I haven't heard the encrypted noise any time recently.
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2008, 9:26 PM

Default NC Prob & Parole freqs

In Alamance County, they use 158.745, which is licensed to Alamance County and not the state.
I listen regular to Caswell County Sheriff, I cant recall ever hearing prob & parole officers, on either the dispatch freq (453.325) the Mutual Aid Freq (453.700) or on Yanceyvilles PD Freq (460.075).
For what its worth, the Caswell Sheriffs Office numbers run in the 100's, with the Sheriffs Auxiliary usually being in the 150's and up. Yanceyville PD numbers have the letter "C" in front of their numbers (ie C3). Also, some of the SHP Troopers have SO radios. They are D440-D449.
For NCDOC at Dan River Work Farm, they have a repeater with good coverage on 155.835 and the Caswell Prison has a repeater on 154.875, but its coverage is not as good as the one at Dan River.

David Hartman,
Danville, VA
Old 02-20-2008, 6:24 AM

ok not to get to far off topic i have never picked up the h/p in nc but idk y
Old 02-21-2008, 5:32 AM

Default NCHP because

THe HP uses a voter system not a repeater system (At least on Low Band). The high bands work great!!!...If you need a boat anchor...And 800..well that's a whole new ball of wax...Until Viper, the Shp has not had the "best" radio equipment in the state...That's been the Wildlife-SBI's honor.
Old 02-21-2008, 6:03 AM

so how would you pick up the h/p?
Old 02-21-2008, 9:30 PM

Default hp

You can hear Base-to-Car (Odd Channels) without too much problem....Car-to-Base and Car-to-Car you have to be fairly close...or have a tall antenna...
Old 02-22-2008, 6:25 AM

yea this summer ima get a better antenna and put it on a like 20' pole. think that would pick up the signal better
Sponsored links