Walmart "Straight Talk" Cell Phone Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Walmart to Launch Straight Talk Exclusively, Nationwide | Reuters

The news sounds pretty good so far. Can anyone think of any downside? $30-$45/ month for a cell phone is great.

Todd

I don't do a lot of talking on the phone so I use tracfone which costs me $20 to $40 for a card that lasts 3 months that rolls over if you buy a new card in the 3 month period. Anytime I need to Call a toll-free 800 number I use SKYPE at home or on the laptop so I don't use any cell phone minutes.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
From what I'm gathering, No. The $30 plan has 1000 minutes/ 1000 texts and 30MB web, and the $45 plan is unlimited for everything.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I say "plan", but that's probably incorrect. It's more like a minute card that you purchase each month. No contracts.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I don't do a lot of talking on the phone so I use tracfone which costs me $20 to $40 for a card that lasts 3 months that rolls over if you buy a new card in the 3 month period. Anytime I need to Call a toll-free 800 number I use SKYPE at home or on the laptop so I don't use any cell phone minutes.

Cool. I guess I was typing when you were.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do you know if they allow you to keep your current cell number? I hate talking on the phone at all,but I have a cell I carry for work and emergencies,long distance etc.
It's a pre-paid through sprint which I shut off the gps on. The wal mart plan sounds cool but not if I have to get another phone with gps on it.
N9ZAS

WouffHong

Fugeddaboutit....

After sweating through a conversation with a (nice) lady in south FL, but with an accent that was horrible, I ferretted out some information, finally, and am staying with my current 30-buck ATT one.

You HAVE TO buy one ot THEIR phones - No SIM-card changes.- no exceptions. :-(

i.e.- You can transfer your number, but not the phone.

You lose ALL unused time or volume every month - no rollovers.

Their web page "Contact Us" help line (877-430-2355) is useless for questions not covered on the web page, but only for activating or existing customer tech problems. I had to work hard to get even a tiny bit of information as a prospective customer. She, at least was pleasant and deviated slightly from her "script" without hanging up (as a previous one did) when I needed to ask about additional fees, although the answers were not helpful.

The ATT verbal help and web page IS pretty good, so guess I'll hang in there.. :)

jes' my personal feeling/opinion.. :D

Wouff

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"After sweating through a conversation with a (nice) lady in south FL, but with an accent that was horrible..."
How do you know she was in Florida? I'll bet you she was in south India or Sri Lanka!

"I ferreted out some information, finally..."
Ain't that the case? They're extremely polite but if it's not in the script they're totally clueless, they're paid to read to you, thinking is out of the question.

"...and am staying with my current 30-buck ATT one."
That's usually the case after much frustration, either drop the "service" or don't sign up in the first place. It's bad enough they're mindless but when the tongue is rolling around marbles in the mouth you just want to SCREAM.

firefighter89

I was shopping around for a new phone company last year. I finally went with Boost Mobile (owned by Sprint/Nextel). It's $50 a month, unlimited everything. So far no problems, great service in my area.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I've been using boost for like a year but went to the 50 a month like 6 months had no problems expect on 9/11 when the towers went down.

WouffHong

Call results..

Ref: FL - That's where their offices are and I lived in FL for 20+ years and knew the accent - just felt I needn't specify it here! :wink: -- Also have successfully ID'ed Indian, Manila and assorted other &^^*&% out-sourced accents. :roll:

The offer of the 30 Meg Web usage was the only tempting thing - I like Weather-related sites like WUNDERGROUND and NWS Radars, and would suck up 30 MB pretty quickly. :-(

Have NO use for texting and average use in prime-time has been 100-150 minutes/month, so my personal case dictates staying with ATT - ALSO: As I found out when I talked to them, they have a special rate for us low-use Seniors of $29.99/month for 200 Min. prime-time/500 Min. off-prime nationwide and that'll work for me. ;) ALSO found out they can turn off ALL incoming Text messages (I get spam) with the exception of the free administrative ones !

These are financially tough times, so cut where ye' may..

Da Senior Wouff :cool:

"After sweating through a conversation with a (nice) lady in south FL, but with an accent that was horrible..."
How do you know she was in Florida? I'll bet you she was in south India or Sri Lanka!

"I ferreted out some information, finally..."
Ain't that the case? They're extremely polite but if it's not in the script they're totally clueless, they're paid to read to you, thinking is out of the question.

"...and am staying with my current 30-buck ATT one."
That's usually the case after much frustration, either drop the "service" or don't sign up in the first place. It's bad enough they're mindless but when the tongue is rolling around marbles in the mouth you just want to SCREAM.

Last edited:

knightrider

My family and I use the Boost, and is the best bet so far for the money and amount of service. My XYL and I are active with Skywarn, and receive both text and voice messages from the NWS. We used to text a lot back and forth, but now use the WT service. As was mentioned, for $50.00 each, we have unlimited text, voice, and internet. It is a little spotty at home sometimes, but we live in a rural area, and in a mobile home. We have a 15 year old daughter who uses the text almost non-stop, so what we don't use she more than makes up for. We were using the T-Mobile pre-paid, and the service was excellent, but just too costly for what we do with them, and daughter was always out of time on her phone. We still keep the T-Mobile as backups, in case there is absolutely no signal here on the Boost. We got tired of being robbed by SBC/ATT for basic service, and regular low speed internet, and did away with the land line based stuff. We are Ham's, so we can get a message out if needed, and I am still with the local FD, so I have access to help there. If Sprint/Nextel would put a few towers along this part of a U.S. Highway, like they did the State highway, service would be near perfect. The only drawback to Boost, is when the time is up, it's up!! With the T-mobile, the minutes roll over, and are good for a year from the last "reload".

Synclaire

Straight Talk User

Am a owner of Straight Talk cellular and have saved in over 6 month around $425 sounds incredible but isn't. I was throwing my money away in contract cell companies for 2 years, and if I went over minutes, a $400 dollar bill for overage. Is a relief to have a pre-paid cellphone that you manage the minutes you use according to the daily use. The $45 a month unlimited is nice but I do not use my cellphone a lot since I work from home. Walmart now has new models at a reasonable price. What is good for some persons, maybe is not for the other but I switch and I am relax and relief.

Synclaire

Am back to again talk about Straight Talk. In another site I was called dumb for asking a question about how to and was impressed that nobody answer back to the lame comment. I found out on my own the question that I asked about Straight Talk and switching the landline to a Straight Talk since I've had this company for 6 months and have no complaints. I went back to Wal-mart were they sell Straight Talk and asked again to a representative about the landline. If someone will like to place a nice comment about this, please do so. I appreciate it. So far my savings started when I switched to Straight Talk.

Astrak

I don't think you'll be able to switch your landline over to a prepaid type cellphone. You may be able to talk to the company that provides your landline service about forwarding calls to you your cell phone.

Synclaire

@Astrak

Thank you for the information. I did indeed spoke to ST and like you stated it won't be use like a landline, but rather like a regular cellphone but using my landline phone number. I just have to disconnect service from my original landline company and before I disconnect call Straight Talk and they will transfer the house number to the ST cellphone. I appreciate your prompt response and hope my answer to your comment was understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.