Cellular phone signal boost options

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
Good morning, I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I figured that this might be a good start and if anyone thought there was a better place that they would move it accordingly.

A good friend recently moved to a rural area, and is getting spotty at best cellular phone signal reception. He has tried working with the service provider, but they have been of no help. He is trying different providers to see if he can get any better service, and that has been hit and miss (mostly miss). He is close; just needs to boost the signal a bit.

He has 4 G towers around his location, but between distance, foliage, etc. only occasionally is able to get a stable 4 G signal (and at time any decent signal at all). One thing in his favor is that he is on top of a hill with a clear shot in all directions.

I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience in beam / directional antennas and/or cellular repeater systems, and how it has worked for them, as well see if anyone might have any recommendations.

I would truly appreciate any insight that you might have, and we are open to any suggestions.

Thanks for any input that you might be able to lend.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
If the intent is to improve cellular voice call service, and he already has an Internet connection (DSL, cable modem, etc.)... then the best thing to do is obtain a femotcell from the carrier. Verizon calls them "Network Extender", AT&T "MicroCell", and other names from other carriers. But the generic name is femotcell, and basically it's a mini cell site right inside your dwelling. It uses your Internet connection for backhaul to your cellular provider. It is fully supported by the carrier you obtain it from, there are no licensing/legal issues with its use, and no external antenna installations or wall penetrations are required. You simply plug it into your cable modem or DSL router.

w2xq

Mentor
Ibid. What he said. Same problems with lack of a decent cellular signal, and a femotcell solved the connection issue. FWIW, I have the router and the femotcell on a APC UPS that keeps the cell phone and tablet on line for up to 6-8 hours when the electric goes out.

SCPD

QRT
cell phone amplifiers

We have had good results with amps made by zBoost.
We have been using the ZB545 for 3G, and another model (I don't see it on their website) for the 4G.
Both have worked well.
Take a look at their website. As long as your friend has a bar or two outside on his phone, the amp will bring it up another bar or two. But it won't work if you got no signal outside to start with.

They do sell directional antennas, but we don't use them.

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
If the intent is to improve cellular voice call service, and he already has an Internet connection (DSL, cable modem, etc.)... then the best thing to do is obtain a femotcell from the carrier. Verizon calls them "Network Extender", AT&T "MicroCell", and other names from other carriers. But the generic name is femotcell, and basically it's a mini cell site right inside your dwelling. It uses your Internet connection for backhaul to your cellular provider. It is fully supported by the carrier you obtain it from, there are no licensing/legal issues with its use, and no external antenna installations or wall penetrations are required. You simply plug it into your cable modem or DSL router.

I agree with a network extender (have had excellent luck with them), but the second half of this problem that I failed to mention is that there is no broad band internet available in the area. So, I am trying to be able to boost the 4 G signal to to provide viable internet access as well.

Thanks for the response!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The bi-directional amplifiers are your best bet, then.
Put a yagi antenna on the roof pointed at the local cell site. Run LMR-400 or better down into the house. Mount the BDA and use a small antenna inside the house. UPS is a good idea.
The BDA's work well if there is some signal there to work with. Sounds like his location should make this a good working solution.

DisasterGuy

One important thing to keep in mind regarding signal boosters is that they require carrier approval and must be properly engineered in the installation. Otherwise they can easily create intermod and other issues to the network.

I deal with non-consumer BDAs mostly but can tell you that there are new rules effective this year for consumer BDAs. Verizon provides a blanket approval for new 2014 BDAs that are FCC approved provided that you register it with them online.

Stick with a quality BDA that carries a 2014 FCC approval and install it with plenty of isolation between the indoor and outdoor antennas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DisasterGuy

I believe most of zBoost's BDAs are certified as consumer boosters. You do however need to register them with the carriers that they pass. I typically deal with non-consumer boosters though where the rules are a bit different. There is plenty of info available on the FCc's site on boosters.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
One important thing to keep in mind regarding signal boosters is that they require carrier approval and must be properly engineered in the installation. Otherwise they can easily create intermod and other issues to the network.

I deal with non-consumer BDAs mostly but can tell you that there are new rules effective this year for consumer BDAs. Verizon provides a blanket approval for new 2014 BDAs that are FCC approved provided that you register it with them online.

Stick with a quality BDA that carries a 2014 FCC approval and install it with plenty of isolation between the indoor and outdoor antennas.

I believe most of zBoost's BDAs are certified as consumer boosters. You do however need to register them with the carriers that they pass. I typically deal with non-consumer boosters though where the rules are a bit different. There is plenty of info available on the FCc's site on boosters.

Ok, I can chime in now that someone else has "broken the ice" and I won't be accused of being the radio police. :D

Please, please, please get an "approved" BDA, register it, do a quality install and PLEASE isolate the server and donor antenna.

While I thoroughly enjoy hunting down interference and have made a career out of it the last 15 or so years, the harm these BDA's can cause FAR outweigh my fun finding them.

And while we're on the subject, whatever you do, NEVER get ticked off and use a cell phone jammer. These things are nasty. Tracked one down just this week being used by a teacher that was upset with students using phones in his class, It took out all cell phones, GPS, Siruus/XM and 7/800 Public Safety for about 1/2 mile around the school...bad stuff.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
And while we're on the subject, whatever you do, NEVER get ticked off and use a cell phone jammer. These things are nasty. Tracked one down just this week being used by a teacher that was upset with students using phones in his class, It took out all cell phones, GPS, Siruus/XM and 7/800 Public Safety for about 1/2 mile around the school...bad stuff.

That teacher needs a lesson in the form of an NAL from the FCC. I have no sympathy for selfish turds who violate Federal law and place public safety in jeopardy with these illegal wideband noisemakers. Make em' pay up.

We use a BlackBox DAS at my facility. Works VERY well, but it was professionally installed by the vendor, and with full permission of the two carriers being repeated.

BDA/DAS require skilled people to install, configure, optimize and maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.