UK - 'Police detector' monitors emergency radio transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDP2012

"A Dutch company has introduced a detection system that can alert drivers if a police officer or other emergency services official is using a two-way radio nearby.

Blu Eye monitors frequencies used by the encrypted TETRA encrypted communications networks used by government agencies in Europe. It doesn’t allow the user to listen in to transmissions, which is illegal and would require advanced decryption capabilities, but can detect a radio in operation up to one kilometer away.

...a version is in the works that is compatible with the P25 protocol used by U.S. emergency services and could be on sale as early as next year" -- FoxNews.com

'Police detector' monitors emergency radio transmissions -- FoxNews.com

D

DaveNF2G

Nothing new here. At least one American radar detector manufacturer used to market a police detection feature that worked in exactly the same way about 30 years ago.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Police Infuriated About New “Cop Detecting” Device

Not sure where this should be posted ,...but I dont think its really that new of an idea ,..I guess its basically like taking the antenna off a scanning rx that is programmed to go through emerg services input frequencies,...its not decrypting anything ,..merely just showing that there is a nearby signal being generated ,..

Police Infuriated About New “Cop Detecting” Device That Warns People When a Cop is Near | The Free Thought Project

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Three threads merged and moved to Off Topic Wireless.

f2shooter, if you have to apologize for hijacking a thread, then you already realize what you're doing is wrong. Please post your Florida question in the Florida forum. Thanks.

Last edited:

rapidcharger

That's funny how a country that monitors people so closely with surveillance cameras amongst other things gets so unhappy when the people want to know where they are.

I think it's cool but of little usefulness. If a cop is on the side of the road doing speed enforcement, chances are they aren't talking a whole lot on the radio. Then again if it's registering RSA pings it might be. Of course, 1km might not sound like a lot on a long, lonesome highway, and it's not, in an urban environment that could put the cop at virtually anywhere.

I'd say this gadget has already been made obsolete by apps such as Waze where you can see more or less right where the cop is and judge whether there is indeed a cop there by the typical traffic slow downs that usually ensue. Sometimes people even post pictures of them.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
That's funny how a country that monitors people so closely with surveillance cameras amongst other things gets so unhappy when the people want to know where they are.

I think it's cool but of little usefulness. If a cop is on the side of the road doing speed enforcement, chances are they aren't talking a whole lot on the radio. Then again if it's registering RSA pings it might be. Of course, 1km might not sound like a lot on a long, lonesome highway, and it's not, in an urban environment that could put the cop at virtually anywhere.

I'd say this gadget has already been made obsolete by apps such as Waze where you can see more or less right where the cop is and judge whether there is indeed a cop there by the typical traffic slow downs that usually ensue. Sometimes people even post pictures of them.

I also see an issue in this. My state agency often does not use their radios. Troopers will place themselves out on a stop via MDT. The only communication that may come up is when the dispatcher requests a safety check. Too late for detection in this instance...

I second the Waze app. I use it every time I drive whether I need directions or not. It almost renders my radar detector useless. I contribute as often as I can. Highly recommended.

Good for those states that don't allow scanner radios, like Florida.

All you need is your amateur radio license and you're exempt.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
this is awesome

Hey those MDTs generate radio traffic too even if it's an unintelligent buzz. And the ability to detect the presence of a cell phone in a wooded area where no other humans should be would be helpful too. In fact it would be helpful to law enforcement as well for detecting marijuana growers, methamphetamine labs, poachers and the like in wooded areas where no people should be. It could also detect those deer cameras that are using cell phone freqs.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey those MDTs generate radio traffic too even if it's an unintelligent buzz. And the ability to detect the presence of a cell phone in a wooded area where no other humans should be would be helpful too. In fact it would be helpful to law enforcement as well for detecting marijuana growers, methamphetamine labs, poachers and the like in wooded areas where no people should be. It could also detect those deer cameras that are using cell phone freqs.

IR is the only signal those cameras emit to help the camera see an image to shoot a photo... Can you specify a model which actually transmits to a cell phone?

At any rate if they produce a detector which works with P25 signals I might be interested.

n9zas

ChetsJug

http://cobrairadar.com/

this gadget has already been made obsolete by apps such as Waze.

Any truck stop has the Cobra iRadar. Smartphone software lets you see where other members have had their radar detectors go off. You don't need to be running your detector

Waze is good because people who SEE the cop make a hand type an entry. iRadar is showing actual radar use by auto reporting getting hit by a radar beam.

Both have holes in the system called: there are not always a iRadar or Wase member on all roads at all times. But according to the stats I've seen, membership in both are growing at an astounding rate. Waze is a free app... iRadar, you have to buy a detector.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

It sounds like a near field receiver. It could be picking up the local police, or it could be picking up a firefighter, or dog catcher, or sanitation truck, or sewer repairman, or any other municipal employee with a radio.

John
Peoria, AZ

tj20

It sounds like a near field receiver. It could be picking up the local police, or it could be picking up a firefighter, or dog catcher, or sanitation truck, or sewer repairman, or any other municipal employee with a radio.

John
Peoria, AZ

That is exactly what I was thinking. Cops are getting mad over nothing. It might work out on the open road with no other rf. In the city you are going to slam on your breaks when the dog catcher next to you says on the radio he is going to lunch.

p1879

Tetra Emergency vehicle sensor-UK controversy

The British press is reporting about a device that warns of nearby emergency service mobile units. It responds to signals emitted by Tetra radio units. One article in the Daily Telegraph has some quotes that may ring familiar to scanner listeners in other places-in general a sense that only lawbreakers would be interested in the receiver.
here is the link to information on the techno-toy:

Target Blu Eye warns you for emergency services

p1879

Status
Not open for further replies.