Post your phone # scammer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I was thinking that this would be a good place for people on Radioreference.com to post phone #s of the scammers who call your cell phone, home phone claiming you owe something. There are Android apps out there like (Mr. NUMBER) that can do this but let's make this a live thread.

Today I have a woman named Chase
(949) 398-4639 who calls and says I opened a online loan. I have set her # to be auto phoned by random phone #s every hour. Don't know how long that will last before there IP phone is changed out.

If it's one thing I hate is scammers using software to pull up your address, old email and last 4 digits of SSN to try to con you into giving them your credit card information.

Let's keep this thread going.

ecps92

Sadly, you have now contributed to :roll: spamming by programming a calling back to the same #, that is likely a POOR unsuspecting business owner, whose phone # was spoofed in the first place. :mad:

There are plenty of public web sites where you can report the phone #'s of spammers

NONE of these spammers use their real phone #'s they take from others :cool:
I was thinking that this would be a good place for people on Radioreference.com to post phone #s of the scammers who call your cell phone, home phone claiming you owe something. There are Android apps out there like (Mr. NUMBER) that can do this but let's make this a live thread.

(949) 398-4639 who calls and says I opened a online loan. I have set her # to be auto phoned by random phone #s every hour. Don't know how long that will last before there IP phone is changed out.

If it's one thing I hate is scammers using software to pull up your address, old email and last 4 digits of SSN to try to con you into giving them your credit card information.

QDP2012

A simple Google-search will list a lot of websites dedicated to awareness and proper response to phone-scams. Those sites seem like a much better option than a single thread on a radio-hobby website.

One opinion,

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
As ecps92 points out, numbers can be spoofed. So, the number you see will not be the actual one that is calling.

I never answer long distance numbers that I don't know. I check them on 1-800notes before I call back. 1-800 NOTES | Find out who called you It's a pretty good service. Users usually log scammers phone numbers and post comments on their experiences with the numbers.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

There's really no point. As mentioned the phone numbers you see come up aren't real. Simply don't answer numbers which you don't have stored already. Its very easy to spoof a phone number. There's even a free android app allowing anyone to do it. :wink: 73, n9zas

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I thought it would be fun to actually see how many people here daily get hit with the calls. I was wrong. Can a admin lock this thread, or delete it.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I don't get daily calls, but I do win the odd cruise... I get lots of pitches from strangers offering to reduce my credit card interest rates and sometimes Microsoft calls me up to tell my my computer is leaking onto the internet. (I don't carry a credit card balance and I use Linux) :)

gewecke

Banned
I thought it would be fun to actually see how many people here daily get hit with the calls. I was wrong. Can a admin lock this thread, or delete it.
There are apps available to prevent these calls from even allowing your phone to ring for those of us smart enough to use them. Its never fun for anyone to be hacked or spammed. Most of us on this forum are not gullible enough to allow those calls to have any effect on us. :wink: 73, n9zas

Evgeni

Some idiot keeps using an autodialer with a different caller Id on me and when you pick up they hang up.

"Card Holder Services" also calls and hangs up.

You can't even have fun with these kinds of callers.

bharvey2

I have multiple phone numbers (2 home, 2 cell, Google Voice, etc.) so I probably get 20 plus unsolicited phone calls a day I was getting so many at one time that I've had to set up extensive black lists in my services. I've black listed entire area codes in Pennsylvania because I was getting so many. They're just relentless. And no, I don't owe anyone money.

gewecke

Banned
Some idiot keeps using an autodialer with a different caller Id on me and when you pick up they hang up.

"Card Holder Services" also calls and hangs up.

You can't even have fun with these kinds of callers.
simply don't answer. :wink: 73, n9zas

wbswetnam

No calls from the IRS

Last week my father got a robotic-sounding phone call purportedly from the IRS, telling him "The IRS has filed suit against you, call us immediately at 1-876-XXX-XXXX", which turns out to be in Jamaica. They didn't say his name or give a reference number, just "You must call us urgently." Fortunately he suspected a scam and he didn't return the call.

Remember, if the IRS calls you or sends you an email, and you're surprised, then it isn't the IRS. The IRS does all of its correspondence by US postal mail.

gewecke

Banned
Last week my father got a robotic-sounding phone call purportedly from the IRS, telling him "The IRS has filed suit against you, call us immediately at 1-876-XXX-XXXX", which turns out to be in Jamaica. They didn't say his name or give a reference number, just "You must call us urgently." Fortunately he suspected a scam and he didn't return the call.

Remember, if the IRS calls you or sends you an email, and you're surprised, then it isn't the IRS. The IRS does all of its correspondence by US postal mail.
As said if you don't recognize the number, don't answer. Problem solved! :). 73, n9zas

bharvey2

I get a few of those calls a week. As noted, the IRS communicates via USPS. No phone calls, emails or texts with emojis in them!

Status
Not open for further replies.