RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Off Topic Wireless

Off Topic Wireless - If it receives or transmits and it doesn't fit in anywhere else, WayneH will probably move it here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 11:35 PM

this smells like a fishy idea, best bet is not to do it, and do not attempt to at all, you may get in big trouble
Old 01-09-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forts View Post
So you think leaving an unattended package at their property would be a good idea then? How do you plan on explaining to them what you are doing if you are spotted placing or retrieving the package? This has incredibly bad idea written all over it.

Get a yagi antenna and scope it out from a distance.
It will be hidden in some bushes OUTSIDE their property on the nature strip. I would not trespass on to their property to do this.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
So you think leaving an unattended package at their property would be a good idea then? How do you plan on explaining to them what you are doing if you are spotted placing or retrieving the package? This has incredibly bad idea written all over it.

Get a yagi antenna and scope it out from a distance.
Best idea all around!
Old 01-09-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_lonny View Post
It will be hidden in some bushes OUTSIDE their property on the nature strip. I would not trespass on to their property to do this.
Do what the real spies do:

http://improvements.scene7.com/is/image/Improvements/T_WithoutZoom?$PDPmain$&$src=b-410363_main
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 PM
Mentor
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

That's why I said AT their property, not ON it. Doesn't change the fact that you could be spotted in the process.

Is the bush area public property? If so go for a stroll and discretely have your scanner on you.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
Do what the real spies do:

http://improvements.scene7.com/is/image/Improvements/T_WithoutZoom?$PDPmain$&$src=b-410363_main
That is a great idea and the sort of advice I was looking for.

Quote:
That's why I said AT their property, not ON it. Doesn't change the fact that you could be spotted in the process.

Is the bush area public property? If so go for a stroll and discretely have your scanner on you.
My plan was to set up the scanner during the early hours of the morning when nobody is around and then come back the next night to check it and what results it has found. It is not an area I would be able to stroll around during the day without looking out of place, that is the reason I am wanting to do it this way. It would be MUCH easier to park my car and spend some time sitting their during the day but due to the area it would look VERY out of place and raise a lot of questions.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:40 AM

I've got a bad feeling about this...

If you've got to go sneaking around, hiding equipment, and then retrieving said equipment without being detected, probably shouldn't be doing it at all.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyFlyer View Post

If you've got to go sneaking around, hiding equipment, and then retrieving said equipment without being detected, probably shouldn't be doing it at all.
The things we do to locate those "elusive" frequencies. If I run this for a week and don't get any hits, I am comfortable they are not using radios at all.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:

From his website, at least we know he isn't spying on the Tasmania Police! Really He is not!

"Sunday, 7 February 2016
Listening to Tasmania Police
This post is to make something very clear to EVERYBODY who visits my blog. I have NO INTEREST in scanning the Tasmania Police, I have no equipment capable of listening to them and no desire to do so. If you are looking for information related to scanning them please check out this excellent page: "
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:

Mysterious spy cameras collecting data at post offices | FOX31 Denver
Old 01-10-2017, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
From his website, at least we know he isn't spying on the Tasmania Police! Really He is not!

"Sunday, 7 February 2016
Listening to Tasmania Police
This post is to make something very clear to EVERYBODY who visits my blog. I have NO INTEREST in scanning the Tasmania Police, I have no equipment capable of listening to them and no desire to do so. If you are looking for information related to scanning them please check out this excellent page: "
I am not sure what that has to do with anything? They use a 800MHz EDACS trunking network, it is well documented and nothing about it hidden.

I am trying to locate the VHF / UHF frequency that is being used by a local business when the frequency they have used in the past has gone dead.
Old 01-10-2017, 1:04 AM

Quote:
I am not sure what that has to do with anything? They use a 800MHz EDACS trunking network, it is well documented and nothing about it hidden.

I am trying to locate the VHF / UHF frequency that is being used by a local business when the frequency they have used in the past has gone dead.
I was just surprised there are any radios in Tasmania!
Old 01-10-2017, 1:06 AM

Thats cool actually I often though about making some sort of remote repeater so that I could scan the FRS channels in busy parts of town and beam them back to me. Sort of an RF translator 462 to 900 MHz band,
Old 01-10-2017, 1:15 AM

it would be nice if you could get time sharing on an nsa satellite. ..i wonder how feasible it would be to mount the scanner onto a drone. please tell us the general type of business your trying to monitor. why don't you just go there and act like your applying for a job? keep in mind close call and spectrum sweeper doesn't monitor every frequency you can scan, skips over 380mhz for example
Old 01-10-2017, 1:19 AM

In the TV show Mr. Robot, the hacker Elliot sends a special WiFi router in a Fed X package to any company he wants to hack. It is addressed to a fictitious employee so it sits on the reception desk for a couple days as it collects log in data from wireless users in the building. Then he swoops in, identifies himself as the new employee and collects the package.
Old 01-10-2017, 9:09 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Not a smart idea---with all that happening and you REALLY want to do that,REALLY?
Old 01-10-2017, 9:32 AM
Moderator---not censor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Please post links to your local media outlets and when you plan on doing this.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:42 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I also need to do this "unattended" which was my reason for setting up a radio and leaving it.
I'm reading a lot of wants and no actual needs. If the property adjoining is public, then you have every right to be there. Unfold a chair and sit there and listen. The fact that you don't want to be seen by anyone at this 'company' implies way more intent than just casual monitoring and frequency identification.

Oh and here is the source of that Denver USPS camera for anyone interested: HyperFire Cable Box | Reconyx
Old 01-10-2017, 12:09 PM

Good example. However, Law Enforcement has a legit need to conduct such "cloak and dagger" type operations from time to time. Now whether or not this particular operation was legit is for another thread.

It's one thing to search publicly available databases for frequencies and licenses and then listen to whatever is out there, but to have to go to extraordinary lengths to determine frequencies in use just to satisfy your curiosity is totally another. Unless the OP is conducting some sort of investigation on a company that may be conducting nefarious types of business, I think it's best to just forget the whole thing.

It's antics like this that paint the hobby in a negative light.
Old 01-10-2017, 3:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

In this country, unidentified packages found lying around generally get blown up by the local bomb squad. If that's what you want for your scanner, be my guest. That said, I suspect there's a lot more to your story than you're willing to share with us. So, while there may be many forum members more than qualified to help you, I'd think it best for them to resist the temptation to do so.