RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Off Topic Wireless

Off Topic Wireless - If it receives or transmits and it doesn't fit in anywhere else, WayneH will probably move it here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 11:17 PM

Perhaps they are using cell phones/texting, or MDTs.
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2017, 11:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
In the woods near a tree stand, this would not cause too much concern. In an urban area, in Nervous 'Merika,, well see for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hmcf1mHVoU
He isn't in "Merika", and he said it was an outdoor area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_lonny
Location is "out of the way" I have checked and they have some bushes on public land which are close to their admin office.
Something camouflage would fit right in hidden in "some bushes".
Old 01-10-2017, 11:42 PM

Sounds like quite an undertaking to me just to gather some elusive coms. I am not that ambitious (or nosey enough) to go to those extremes. I guess I will say good luck to you. I hope your friends don't read about you in the paper. Just my opinion.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_lonny View Post
Great idea and exactly the sort of response I was looking for.
I must ask, what is the company? And where are they I'll do some digging and see what I can find

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 6:54 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I applaud the OP for being one of those Die-Hard Scannists who DO spend the time to SEEK and SEARCH out the information that ultimately does populate the RRDB and Wiki. Without those efforts No One would have PL, TG, DPL, NAC, DMR info. You won't find any of that information in the FCC DB

Now as to the method, years ago (Pre 2001) this would have been a nice plan, now...it does open the situation up to other issues. I even remember a Fox-Hunt where the Bomb Squad almost detonated the Ammo Case, so be careful and maybe this is one to move on from for now, until a better monitoring situation can be found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu81fitter View Post
Sounds like quite an undertaking to me just to gather some elusive coms. I am not that ambitious (or nosey enough) to go to those extremes. I guess I will say good luck to you. I hope your friends don't read about you in the paper. Just my opinion.
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2017, 7:32 AM

I feel bad for the OP being subjected to all our paranoia here in the the U S, and I wonder how the responding posters feel about Foxhunts? A bunch of people running around in cars with big antenna sticking out of them. You should have seen some of the reactions when myself and another tech in uniform were searching for an interfering signal. Next time we go in soft clothes.
The big G is now making us so afraid to do anything that might give the appearance of doing something that might be mistaked for the big T. They would rather we do all our communications on something they can listen to record and go through. I suspect in the not too distant future we will no longer be able to own or use personal radio devices like so many other countries. All communications will be through G sanctioned vendors with no expectation of privacy.

Quote"I applaud the OP for being one of those Die-Hard Scannists who DO spend the time to SEEK and SEARCH out the information that ultimately does populate the RRDB and Wiki. Without those efforts No One would have PL, TG, DPL, NAC, DMR info. You won't find any of that information in the FCC DB.

Thumbs up on this, plus most don't realize the only reason anyone can monitor a trunked system today is because some smart people( I believe it was a group from MIT) who sat in a van for hours at a time decoding and deciphering the data streams.Not because a vendor gave up the info.

The best advice I can give is what has already been suggested, or parking a vehicle somewhere nearby on public property with an antenna pointed at the building.

Last edited by radioman2001; 01-11-2017 at 7:36 AM..
Old 01-11-2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman2001 View Post
I feel bad for the OP being subjected to all our paranoia here in the the U S, and I wonder how the responding posters feel about Foxhunts? A bunch of people running around in cars with big antenna sticking out of them. You should have seen some of the reactions when myself and another tech in uniform were searching for an interfering signal. Next time we go in soft clothes.
The big G is now making us so afraid to do anything that might give the appearance of doing something that might be mistaked for the big T. They would rather we do all our communications on something they can listen to record and go through. I suspect in the not too distant future we will no longer be able to own or use personal radio devices like so many other countries. All communications will be through G sanctioned vendors with no expectation of privacy.

Quote"I applaud the OP for being one of those Die-Hard Scannists who DO spend the time to SEEK and SEARCH out the information that ultimately does populate the RRDB and Wiki. Without those efforts No One would have PL, TG, DPL, NAC, DMR info. You won't find any of that information in the FCC DB.

Thumbs up on this, plus most don't realize the only reason anyone can monitor a trunked system today is because some smart people( I believe it was a group from MIT) who sat in a van for hours at a time decoding and deciphering the data streams.Not because a vendor gave up the info.

The best advice I can give is what has already been suggested, or parking a vehicle somewhere nearby on public property with an antenna pointed at the building.
Thank you for the support.

We used to run fox hunts here with some good results and interesting stories to go along with them.

A local fast food place were using a VHF frequency for the drive thru which we had trouble locating so three of us rocked up, purchased some food and sat for an hour with multiple radios trying to find the frequency.

These couple of articles really outline what I am doing (I didn't write either of these):
http://www.scanningtasmania.org/rfdetective
http://www.scanningtasmania.org/stealthscan
Old 01-11-2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecps92 View Post
I applaud the OP for being one of those Die-Hard Scannists who DO spend the time to SEEK and SEARCH out the information that ultimately does populate the RRDB and Wiki. Without those efforts No One would have PL, TG, DPL, NAC, DMR info. You won't find any of that information in the FCC DB
Thank you, glad somebody gets it.

As a side. I did a very early morning recon of this location, the bushes that were out the front last time I drove past have now gone, so hiding the scanner in a case is now not going to work

I will have to find another way to find out what frequency (if any) they are using.
Old 01-11-2017, 4:02 PM

Radioman:

There was a time when Japan had a cellular mobile teleohone system that was prorietary and run by the Govt of Japan. The US was on the cusp of a trade agreement with Japan which would have allowed any US company access to sell phones on the system. Motorola wanted to be the first to develop a phone, however no specifications had been released. So Motorola sent two engineers to japan with some clandestine test equipment. The engineers rented a limo with a phone and paid the driver to take them sightseeing. This enabled the engineers to record all the control channel data including the cellular hand off protocals.
Old 01-11-2017, 4:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Seem to be bad links, when accessed from the US of A
Quote:
Thank you for the support.

We used to run fox hunts here with some good results and interesting stories to go along with them.

A local fast food place were using a VHF frequency for the drive thru which we had trouble locating so three of us rocked up, purchased some food and sat for an hour with multiple radios trying to find the frequency.

These couple of articles really outline what I am doing (I didn't write either of these):
http://www.scanningtasmania.org/rfdetective
http://www.scanningtasmania.org/stealthscan
Old 01-11-2017, 7:14 PM
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Links open fine for me.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 01-11-2017, 8:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post
Links open fine for me.
Interesting, I get 403 errors on them...
Old 01-11-2017, 8:51 PM
Moderator---not censor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
Interesting, I get 403 errors on them...
I do as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by KevinC; 01-11-2017 at 8:56 PM..
Old 01-11-2017, 8:53 PM

same here apparently the pages are being blocked by some security service or big brother.
Old 01-11-2017, 9:07 PM

Not my site so nothing I can do about it...
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2017, 9:10 PM

tried Internet Explorer and Google Chrome, same results as Firefox.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:16 PM

Your best bet is to use an RTL-SDR with sdr# and watch areas of the spectrum you think might be in use. You'll need to be somewhat close. Then just watch for the spikes of any nearby signals and investigate as needed.

Or buy an old work van, stencil "Joe's Heating & Cooling 555-1212" on it and outfit the inside of it with SIGINT equipment.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAir View Post
Or buy an old work van, stencil "Joe's Heating & Cooling 555-1212" on it and outfit the inside of it with SIGINT equipment.
Not a bad idea... I have access to a few different vehicles which might be suitable.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Not a bad idea... I have access to a few different vehicles which might be suitable.
sounds like me when i was a kid (not saying your childish) me and my best friend would pick a "target" could be a business , a person or what ever and watch it study it learn all we could about it like being a detective it was a lot of fun.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:31 AM

Please allow me to elaborate. I have no problem searching out frequencies. I have done it in my local area to try to monitor new things. BUT, I don't think I would try to "hide in the bushes" and set up some kind of "covert" receiver to pick up coms.