How do I set up my own AM or FM broadcast radio station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hi,
How do I set up a simple, modest, beginner's style AM or FM broadcast band pirate radio base station? One good enough to cover just a few miles or so (maybe several miles at the most) in range? Also; what are the rules that such station operators go by? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I moved the thread to a somewhat more appropriate forum...sort of...

And advertising you are doing this AND having your callsign posted might not be a real good idea...but that's just me.

cmdrwill

§15.209 Radiated emission limits;

No more than 150 microvolts per meter at three meters.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi,
How do I set up a simple, modest, beginner's style AM or FM broadcast band pirate radio base station? One good enough to cover just a few miles or so (maybe several miles at the most) in range? Also; what are the rules that such station operators go by? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Wait.

You put your amateur call sign, which will give anyone who wants to look it up a general location of where you are.
You say you want to run a "pirate" radio station.
And you ask about what rules you should follow.

Seriously?

As cmdrwill said, Part 15 is what you need to look at if you want to do this and not get busted. You won't get a "few miles" from part 15.
If you want to ignore the rules, then run whatever the heck you want to. Lots of Chinese companies selling FM transmitters on e-Bay.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
We use an RVR TEX300LCD/S LPFM transmitter each year at the Evanston, IL Fourth of July Fireworks on the lakefront to broadcast the music and commentary along the lakefront area. A special use permit is obtained from the FCC for this very time-limited event.

bharvey2

There are some forms of unlicensed AM or FM stations that are permitted. (Well, maybe stations isn't the right word) I don't recall the exact distance but they're limited to a few hundred feet or less. Some examples are adapters that plug in to your Walkman (okay don't laugh, work with me guys) and transmit on an FM frequency and are received by your car radio. I suspect that the OP wants to go bigger than this but as far as I know, nothing larger would be license free.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Hi, i'm a licensed ham radio operator, how do I...

"set up a simple, modest, beginner's style AM or FM broadcast band pirate radio base station ……………………………………. good enough to cover just a few miles or so (maybe several miles at the most) in range...……….."

In all honesty, I almost fell out of my chair.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Let the OP do whatever he wants. I could use the company...

nanZor

I simply think the original ops question was just poor wording, when in the end he's asking about what the rules are vs being a pirate. Perhaps in an attempt not to get roped into buying low-power crap that is definitely NOT part-15 compliant, or how to modify them so they are.

One real-world issue, is that even if you are squeaky-clean part-15 compliant, you may get tagged anyway, so be careful:

https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/distinguish-pirates-from-part-15-operators

But props for asking about the rules. Poor initial wording set off most amateur alarms, but I understand the real intent of the question.

In the end, if you want to go out beyond part-15 coverage areas, then the only option left is *licensed* LPFM.

Take a look at my local LPFM'er, KHUG as an example:

https://signalscv.com/2017/12/khug-looks-bring-scv-sound-community-rock-blues-radio-station/

Holy smokes! I just discovered another LPFM'er here in my backyard - country KZNQ. Good example:

https://www.qcountryscv.com/onair

If you take the time to *do it right*, you can provide a service to the community and not be an ignorant pest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.