Hazmat 101 Worthington Fire + C.O.S.T (Central Ohio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmartinfan

Banned
In case if anyone missed these two new/newer trucks in the central Ohio area
2385163419_a15981fda4_o.jpg

2343170223_0f38a9c1c7_o.jpg

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
mmartinfan said:
In case if anyone missed these two new/newer trucks in the central Ohio area

The Chicago look sure is getting popular around here. All we need now are the port (red) and starboard (green) lights on the front of the trucks, and on the front of the firehouses as well.

Someday....

hoser147

Actually in history Green lights on station houses was a NYPD thing in the days of the coppers. Really dont know why the black tops on the rigs, it is bound to make it hotter in there on a sunny day...............Hoser

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
hoser147 said:
Actually in history Green lights on station houses was a NYPD thing in the days of the coppers. Really dont know why the black tops on the rigs, it is bound to make it hotter in there on a sunny day...............Hoser

Incorrect, as far as Chicago is concerned.

The red and green lights in Chicago apparently date back to a Chief or Commissioner who had ties to the maritime industry, or perhaps the Navy. He was familiar with the port and starboard lights on ships, liked them, and decreed that they be installed on everything in the CFD. Now they're a tradition.

Supposedly, the black tops date back to the horse-drawn days, when black tarps were fastened over the top of some of the rigs.

Unfortunately we won't see red and green lights on anything here, as green is used to denote the command post at an incident...

hoser147

Might be incorrect as far as Chicago is concerned but I was refering to your statement of green lights on station houses. That all began when the first NYPD officers were appointed. They put green lights out to denote that an officer lived or was stationed there and the word copper was from the fact that they wore copper badges and it started in the Dutch community in New York Just a History FYI. I was aware of Chicago using Red and Green on their Apparatus as a tradition but didn't know how that came about. I was well into the fire service when the Green lights came about denoting command vehicle. Hoser

CVPI4Ever said:
Uhhhhhh...What?

Means its hidden somewhere in the city, like how they hide bomb trucks so knowbody knows where they are at.

I love history, and its pretty interesting, and i have always wondered why chicago had the green lights. Yup, none around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.