Ashtabula County Sheriff Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi, I live in Cherry Valley in Ashtabula County. While scanning the Astabula Sheriff's Office, I have run across some questions:

1. It seems I am missing much of the conversationss while listening to dispatch on 155.55. Based on calls heard, there are large pieces of conversations missing. I listen to channel 2 on 155.625 also, but there is never any traffic. The rest of the traffic must be going on a different frequency.

2. The units/ dispatch often call a series of number, such as 23393.

After listening to a couple of days of these series of numbers, here's what I think they mean...

23- Previous code/ status of unit ( 23= off air to eat)
3- District (3 appears to be Orwell, while 4 appears to be Ashtabula)
93 - Actual car/ unit number.

Does anyone have any further info on these 2 issues?

Thanks a bunch,

TomJD.

N8IAA

Hi, I live in Cherry Valley in Ashtabula County. While scanning the Astabula Sheriff's Office, I have run across some questions:

1. It seems I am missing much of the conversationss while listening to dispatch on 155.55. Based on calls heard, there are large pieces of conversations missing. I listen to channel 2 on 155.625 also, but there is never any traffic. The rest of the traffic must be going on a different frequency.

2. The units/ dispatch often call a series of number, such as 23393.

After listening to a couple of days of these series of numbers, here's what I think they mean...

23- Previous code/ status of unit ( 23= off air to eat)
3- District (3 appears to be Orwell, while 4 appears to be Ashtabula)
93 - Actual car/ unit number.

Does anyone have any further info on these 2 issues?

Thanks a bunch,

TomJD.

Hello TomJD. If you are listening to the main dispatch of 155.55/ 192.8pl, there is a direct(simplex frequency) using the same freq and pl. You are probably hearing dispatch and not the car, or, visversa. That means dispatch is on a tower(easier to hear) while the car, unless close, will not be heard. Take a look at the database hear on radio reference and see the freqs for the county.
The truth will set you free!
Larry

Nasby

Really you should be hearing BOTH sides of the conversation on 155.550. The system is on a repeater. I stay in Rock Creek and have no problem with both sides of the conversation. Keep your scanner locked on 155.550 to be sure (don't scan) you area actually missing both sides of the transmission.

What you will often hear is the dispatcher say "230,152." The number 230 always designates the sheriff's dispatcher in Jefferson. The number 152 is the police unit number the dispatcher is calling (152 for Roaming Shores, 400 units for Ashtabula Sheriff cars, etc.) When an officer calls the dispatcher in Jefferson, the radio traffic will be something like, "152,230 (Unit 152 is calling 230/dispatch)."

For a list of police radio units, click on the "database" section of radioreference, then click on the state of Ohio, then click Ashtabula County. Then click on the "files" section in the upper left corner of the page. Then click "police units."
Good Luck!!

SCPD

QRT
Thanks so much to alkl for the great information. This makes everything I have been hearing make so much more sense!

Truly appreciated!

Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.