PSR 500 on MARCS/Motorboating

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Anyone noticing their PSR 500 making "motorboat" noises since the last 2 firmware upgrades. When I got mine around Easter, it rarely, if ever motorboated. If I was in a bad spot, or the radio was too close to my cell phone when I was talking...it would, but those instances are easy explained.

I've noticed here lately, and much more frequently since I installed v1.6 that it's doing it.

Anyone else?

hoser147

I caught just a little bit on MARCs. IMHO I think 1.6 is better, but It seems that the sensitivity isn't as good before I could get Post 57 not since upgrading even left it loggin and nothin............Hoser

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
No problems noticed here. Is there any chance that even though you may have strong signals for the CCs and VCs, you may have some interference locally where you are scanning that is providing enough of a signal on those frequencies to interfere with proper P25 decode?

I see this often when I have my scanner in the near vicinity of one of my computers - If I tune to the voice channels of a few of the MARCS sites I can hear the noise on those frequencies when there are no MARCS transmissions. Then, when a transmission occurs and that signal mixes with the local interference, I end up getting the motorboating -- even though the MARCS signal itself, absent any interference, is more than adequate for a decode.

Mike

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
No problems noticed here. Is there any chance that even though you may have strong signals for the CCs and VCs, you may have some interference locally where you are scanning that is providing enough of a signal on those frequencies to interfere with proper P25 decode?

I see this often when I have my scanner in the near vicinity of one of my computers - If I tune to the voice channels of a few of the MARCS sites I can hear the noise on those frequencies when there are no MARCS transmissions. Then, when a transmission occurs and that signal mixes with the local interference, I end up getting the motorboating -- even though the MARCS signal itself, absent any interference, is more than adequate for a decode.

I've never noticed anything like this normally, although I do have a few spots in my immediate area where Nextel interference does cause problems including screwed up voice transmissions.

Fortunately, the rebanding clock has started ticking here (my boss and I just filed the RFPF we've been slaving over since January). Columbus is about to file theirs, so changes might start happening around here around Q2-2009, and hopefully eliminate a lot of this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.