800 MHz Yagi w/Hamilton County TRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnCowboy

2 questions:

1) Anyone have any noticable improvement with a yagi for this system? I ordered the Wilson cell yagi back over the summer and it's been sitting around this office! Just curious if anyone has noticed any noticable improvement and whether they aimed it AT the closest tower or away. I'm about 1-2 miles from a tower. Need to work on getting this thing up and running if it's a help.

2) The antenna terminates in a female N connector... I have usually hooked up my other antennas with RG 6 but have heard chatter about LN400? or something like that? would that be noticably better than the RG6 and does that cable terminate in N connectors and/or any suggestion as to how to get from that N connector on the antenna to the BNC on the Pro-96??

Not a technical wizard here... took antenna to Hamilton - R & L electronics and they had multiple adapters that could be put together to get from an N to PL259 I think and then I have an F to BNC if using RG6... up for suggestions! :)

scannerfreak

Database Admin
The stock antenna should hit that tower with no problems at all. I really don't see a yagi making any improvement since you're that close.

Not true. HAMCO's system is a P25 simulcast system. Using a Yagi pointed at one tower will greatly eliminate the scanner receiving multiple signals from the other towers and thus greatly improving performance. I have a Wilson and love it. I say go for it.

The cable you are talking about is LMR400. Search the forums here and you'll find lots of info. Most places you order from can put N connectors on the cable for you.

LawnCowboy

thank you

thanks freak! so (without having to spend an hour searching forums cuz I'm lazy and tired at the moment) is the 400 cable gonna be a noticable improvement compared to RG6 with respect to the price too? I suppose if not, I can get my local guy to solder some connectors on RG6 that can match up.

have you found pointing at one tower limits your ability to get OTHER things such as MARCS, SAFE-T or regular VHF, UHF? (knowing that the antenna is more designed for the 800-900 range of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.