Sheriff's Departments + MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLWilson

Hello All,

Just a little curious and thought I'de see who might reply.....

Does anyone have any idea regarding which Ohio County Sheriff's Departments have completely switched (if any have) to the Ojio MARCS system for their communications?

We have a new sheriff that will be taking office here in January. He is interested in trying to find grant monies to equip the entire agancy with MARCS mobiles....

I think its an excellent idea. Leave the VHF Hi mobiles installed to. Give capabilities to talk with everyone else in the county that doesn't have MARCS (yet)....

Steve/KB8FAR (Gallia County)....

hoser147

Steve probably the closest here would be Putnam Co. so far. Mercer is slated to go online with MARCS soon, as is Lima and Allen Co. Auglaize SO is supposed to but its not looking so till spring, the last I talked with the Sheriff he wanted to wait till the EF Johnson Radio's were approved. Which the last MARCs newsletter stated they had been. Mercer is using it part time, and they have a tower that was donated to MARCs which is supposed to come down in December and then the new one will go up. I will keep ya posted on any further activity on it up here.........Hoser
http://www.oit.ohio.gov/SDD/Marcs/PDFs/Newsletter14.pdf
http://www.oit.ohio.gov/SDD/Marcs/MARCSNewsletter.aspx

Last edited:

SLWilson

OmniLink....Motorola

Steve probably the closest here would be Putnam Co. so far....the last I talked with the Sheriff he wanted to wait till the EF Johnson Radio's were approved.... Which the last MARCs newsletter stated they had been. Mercer is using it part time, and they have a tower that was donated to MARCs which is supposed to come down in December and then the new one will go up. I will keep ya posted on any further activity on it up here.........Hoser
I was talking to one of the MARCS programmers about the E.F. Johnson stuff....Not too long ago....

They were having issues with the Omnilink feature (a MOTO patented item) .....As I understand it, EF can't get that right....Maybe it has been fixed, but, some agencies (like FD's and local PD's) were already using them. But, they would only affiliate with towers in a certain area of the state, NOT the whole state....So....

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

hoser147

Its possible that coming from an IT person that its more reliable than the Newsletter, this is from there, and your information is fresher.Lol "Successful Test of EF Johnson Radios On June 24, 2008 staff and administration from the MARCS Office
conducted rigorous testing of upgraded EF Johnson portable and mobile radios on MARCS. The purpose of the test was to
determine effectiveness and efficiency in which the radios could affiliate with MARCS tower sites time from a radio cold start,
and to test radio performance and functionality when changing talk groups. Audio quality was exceptional and the radios
passed all the technical requirements for operation on the MARCS network. The field test of these devices was considered a
success. The success can be contributed to several years of teamwork between the state of Ohio and the manufacturer"

Last edited:

KD8CHP

Premium Subscriber
Adams County is in the process. Will be sometime in Q1 09.

Status
Not open for further replies.