Jefferson County "J-COM" TRS Agency scheme help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mylan

Feed Provider
There have been a couple of threads lately dealing with numbering schemes for various counties and it just dawned on me that I am clueless about the way J-Com is set up and I would love to gain the knowledge of any and all numbering schemes or channel usages etc....... The only thing I know so far is the station numbering as per the list found on this website...

How then are those station numbers applied to the actual police and fire units, and what channels does each department or agency use because the talkgroup list is rather vague...
For instance some channels are self explanatory as to the agency using it (like Steubenville Police, Wintersville Police, drug task force etc...) but what about div1, div2, div3.....tac1, tac2, tac3 who uses which ones and when.....

And then there's the matter of how the police officers identify themselves when they call in? like say Wells Twp. Police or Empire Police or Toronto police.... Do the officers go by unit numbers, by their beat, or by vehicle or station number and is there a consistency with this throughout the county?
For example in Belmont County, all police departments use the same officer scheme (department XX-ofifcer XX) whereas in Ohio County, WV, the county police agencies use that xx-xx format but the City of Wheeling police go by patrol beat....

Do all agencies on the system go through J-Com.... because in Belmont, some departments go through central dispatch while others have their own dispatcher.

AND NOW ON THE JEFFERSON CO. FIRE & EMS SIDE---------

Is there any countywide organization to the unit numbering of the fire and ems' apparatus or even the firefighters themselves? ............ Once again, Down in Belmont County, the only thing that is consistent is the station number. The fire trucks and ambulances are then all haphazardly numbered with no consistency whatsoever as THIS LINK shows.
That list is an excellent reference; Does Jefferson County have a list like that?

I probably could have asked this question in one simple sentence but I like to dragggg ittt ouuuut and make it as detaillled and confuuuusing as I posssibllly can...

Any advice or information provided will be greatly appreciated and put to good thought!

STA75

Jefferson 911

Let me try to help some here. The county is divided into three divisions. Div. 1 is Nothern county. Div. 2 is center county. Div. 3 is Southern county. I am not sure what the boundries are. When a station is paged out, you hear the station number paged. For example if station 75 is paged out, you will hear them page station "75". Then station 75's engine (7511) would come on the air and respond.

All stations on the system are assigned a numeric identifier , and can be identified by the first two numerals of their identifier. the third numeral identefies the type of unit.
Example: 0 Office 1 Fire engine 2 Ladder Truck 3 Rescue Truck
4 Brush Truck 5 Tanker Truck 6 BLS Ambulance 7 Als Amb.
The fourth numeral is chosen by the individuals agency. Some departments us the first 10 numbers as officers number XX01 is the chief and so on.
As far as the police goes it's station number then the car id . Toronto and Steubenville police are self dispatched.
If then don't have a private talk group the would go to the law Talkgroup for the area of the county they are in . Hope this helps Rick

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
To add to what Rick said (and with previous help from Rick to figure these things out), here is a link that gives a 'view' of the potential footprint of the agencies and their divisions. This is not absolute, i.e. not near 100% accurate - But I think it's close enough.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U....345497,-80.680847&spn=0.514956,1.235962&z=10

This document can also help clarify divisions (at least for Fire/EMS) - via color coding. Look down at the bottom under the division tones to see what divisions are colored what way.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pn5v45xpgUT4yPEkRA9iiNw&hl=en

Like Rick said, only Steubenville and Toronto PD are self-dispatched. Also, Jefferson County SO and Steubenville FD are self-dispatched.

Some agencies have their own talkgroups, and if they do then that's their home. Agencies without their own talkgroups are assigned to the LAW DIV / EMS DIV / FIRE DIV talkgroup in their division.

And my understanding that all law agencies have access to all of the LAW talkgroups (and perhaps Fire/EMS as well). I'm not sure if all Fire and all EMS have access to all Fire/EMS talkgroups, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do. Re-read this post by TheKelleys01 earlier on for some information regarding this.

And I think all the law agencies have access to SHERIFF 1, but I'm not sure about each others specific talkgroups... again read what thekelleys01 said.

Car IDs for police cruisers differs - Mingo uses them from the bottom up, Empire and most others use them from the top (Empire may be 398x, Saline Twp may be 628x, etc.).

JCSO is 41xx, but I think they identify by badge # or employee # or something. And I'm not sure, but I think Jefferson 1xx (3-digit) may be special deputies or something. Jefferson One has an appropriate car/truck # though.

Steubenville PD - "99" is the dog catcher I think. The typical players on Steub PD are even #s of five, such as "65" or "car 20."

Also, you'll find sometimes that if there is a fire event going on, then JComm may move/instruct them to move from FIRE DIV # to FIRE TAC # in order to maintain some dequorum in case another call goes out for somewher else.

Mike

Last edited:

Mylan

Feed Provider
Thanks, that definitely helps clarify the operation for me.
Now maybe I will be able to "Know" what I'm hearing when I am able to monitor

Google told me I didn't have permission to look at the spreadsheet though.

also mike I like the map - taught me alot.... but on it, is it just my computer or is the balloons for rayland pd and dillonvale vfd in smithfield... and empre vfd missing?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
did they ever catch that guy from NC that bailed tonite on 7 after he got spiked?

rcool101

Feed Provider
Spiked

Actually it was a girl with blond hair. I dont think they caught her yet but I think they found out who she is

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks, that definitely helps clarify the operation for me.
Now maybe I will be able to "Know" what I'm hearing when I am able to monitor

Google told me I didn't have permission to look at the spreadsheet though.

also mike I like the map - taught me alot.... but on it, is it just my computer or is the balloons for rayland pd and dillonvale vfd in smithfield... and empre vfd missing?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
did they ever catch that guy from NC that bailed tonite on 7 after he got spiked?

Mylan,

As far as the map, there could be a lot of things missings. That's a not-ready-for-prime-time map made only for myself. I just thought tht it provided enough of an idea of the boundaries between divisions that it would be a useful graphical representation for you. I can't believe i would have missed Empire, but hell anything is possible. And I haven't been to most of the stations personally - I just googled for the addresses of these places, and in many cases I had old/outdated/nonexistent information to use for an address so I did my best.

As far as the spreadsheet, I'll fix that.

Regarding the high speed chase, in the words of Empire or Saline Twp (forget which said it), "at a buck twenty five." rofl. I can't imagine an Empire or Saline unit going 125 miles an hour. That'd be a site. If i recall correctly, the girl bailed out of the vehicle after spike strips were deployed by OSP at the 22/7 interchange and her car crashed. When she bailed, she ended up going to her apartment up in ole Alikanna school.

Mike

Last edited:

Mylan

Feed Provider
no seriously... i really did enjoy the map.... i had no idea that belvedere was bloomingdale... and that hammondsville had their own police dept- sorta ... and of course the color coded agencys... that is a great job and a great reference... time well spent!

As for the system itself, I still like belmont's method of assigning each dept a tac for each different call that goes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.