RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Ohio Radio Discussion Forum

Ohio Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Ohio.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 8:33 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipesy View Post
Wednesday morning and I am hearing radio testing for the Geauga P-25 system. They are using Talkgroup 19539 on CC 855.21250. I don't have Pro96Com or Unitrunker.

John
John,

You don't know what you're missing [not having Pro96Com or UT]. It's really interesting to monitor system information. Granted, unless you have two scanners, you wouldn't listen to voice while using UT or Pro96Com. But it's quite interesting to watch the traffic. This is especially true on a new system where there are new talkgroups and radio IDs popping up all the time. If you have a BCD396/996XT, PSR-500/600/800, PRO-106/197/96/2096 and a programming cable, it's pretty easy to get Pro96Com set up.

At any rate, enjoy the new system! Hopefully you're problems with decode quality improve. Our county will be moving to a P25 system in the next two years. I imagine it will be simulcast, so I'm probably going to end up experiencing the same thing.

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2013, 8:55 AM

Default TG 19540

TG 19540

Hearing what I beleive is 28 SC Chardon. (I have identified for my use as this alpha and or description)

School buses on this TG.

Radio ID's heard on TG 19540 were 2807554-2807602 but not inclusive.

Hits on TG 19539 but have missed the comms to identify.

GHF

Last edited by GHF; 01-30-2013 at 9:04 AM.. Reason: added radio Id's fro 19540
Old 01-30-2013, 9:15 AM

I communicated with the Geauga System programmer this AM. Only schools are on the System at the present time. I have heard 19539, 19540, 19545. 19539 traffic dealt with telling users how to key the radio; 19540 dealt with actual school bus traffic; 19545 dealt with maintenance of patching holes in driveways.

This will be fun to watch as the other users come on line.

John
Old 01-30-2013, 9:57 AM

Gotta love these P25 systems .. 19540 comes in crystal clear on Cuyahoga site for me,
breaks up on Geauga site.. Hope everything Geauga public safety wise is simulcast on Cuyahoga tower .. For me !
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipesy View Post
Wednesday morning and I am hearing radio testing for the Geauga P-25 system. They are using Talkgroup 19539 on CC 855.21250.
Thanks for the heads up; I have been largely ignoring the allocated Geauga channels. I am doubtful of good reception when I get home! Their beautiful analog is the last of a dying breed out here.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 AM

Swipesy:

Make sure you have all control channels for geauga lake and cuyahoga in your scanner for this system. I see via rr geauga control channel has been added to the system.

I have had hits on the following. Hit count may have been higher but i have locked out some tg's as not intrested in some comms.

Im not saying all are active all the time but what i have logged.

Note: Tg 19945 is chester public works.

Alpha tg hits
pd chardon 19501 1
28 so 19504 17
28 so 2? 19507 1
geauga tac 1 19510 12
fd chardon 19520 1
fd ham/mont/th 19521 6
fd burton/ new 19522 3
fd middlefield 19523 20
fd bainbridge 19524 17
fd aub/ park/ tr 19525 5
fd chester 19526 4
fd mun/ russel 19527 6
28 unknown 19530 6
28 unknown 19534 2
28 unknown 19536 2
28 sc w gea 19537 5
28 unknown 19539 4
28 sc chardon 19540 77
pw chester 19545 41

ghf
Old 01-30-2013, 2:40 PM

Thanks GHF. I am fully loaded, lol. Have my Yagi pointed right at the Chagrin tower. So far with only schools active the P-25 is a far cry from the clarity of the analog system but based on conversations I am hearing, the bus dispatcher and drivers are having issues also. I am sure they need time to smooth out the system and it can only go one way - better.

John
Old 01-30-2013, 5:32 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWs View Post
Gotta love these P25 systems .. 19540 comes in crystal clear on Cuyahoga site for me,
breaks up on Geauga site.. Hope everything Geauga public safety wise is simulcast on Cuyahoga tower .. For me !
...and I'm hoping everything on Cuyahoga is affiliating with the Geauga system so that I can finally get it.

Funny how much difference 10 miles makes.
Old 01-30-2013, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmlovell View Post
...and I'm hoping everything on Cuyahoga is affiliating with the Geauga system so that I can finally get it.

Funny how much difference 10 miles makes.
wmlovell:

What I have heard re: the Cuyahoga, Lake and Geauga radio sites.

Lake County TG’s are heard if your within the their tower sites (Lake County).

Some Lake County TG’s are heard on the Cuyahoga sites if the Lake County TG is within hearing range or affiliated with a Cuyahoga site.

The Lake County TAC TG’s seem to be affiliated and also border Cities. (Wickliffe, Willoughby Hills etc.)

If not forget about hearing them on the Cuyahoga sites.

Geauga and Cuyahoga TG’s are heard in Cuyahoga County and Lorain County along and or between Rt. 90 and Rt. 480 to the Lorain County western line and as far south as the Turnpike on Rt. 271 and Rt. 77.

I can hear radio comms testing Eastcomm FD units from No. Olmstead Ohio daily @ 08:00.

This is heard via Pro 197 inside vehicle w/o outside antenna. (Actually antenna is collapsed and in a horizontal position in the glove box).

I travel daily between Cuyahoga, Lake, Summit, Stark, Medina and Lorain counties.

GHF
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2013, 9:53 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHF View Post
wmlovell:

What I have heard re: the Cuyahoga, Lake and Geauga radio sites.

Lake County TGs are heard if your within the their tower sites (Lake County).

Some Lake County TGs are heard on the Cuyahoga sites if the Lake County TG is within hearing range or affiliated with a Cuyahoga site.

The Lake County TAC TGs seem to be affiliated and also border Cities. (Wickliffe, Willoughby Hills etc.)

If not forget about hearing them on the Cuyahoga sites.

Geauga and Cuyahoga TGs are heard in Cuyahoga County and Lorain County along and or between Rt. 90 and Rt. 480 to the Lorain County western line and as far south as the Turnpike on Rt. 271 and Rt. 77.

I can hear radio comms testing Eastcomm FD units from No. Olmstead Ohio daily @ 08:00.

This is heard via Pro 197 inside vehicle w/o outside antenna. (Actually antenna is collapsed and in a horizontal position in the glove box).

I travel daily between Cuyahoga, Lake, Summit, Stark, Medina and Lorain counties.

GHF
At my house at the Geauga/Portage border (2-1/2 miles away from Summit/Cuyahoga) I have a difficult time receiving the Cuyahoga site with anything other then then an inside Digital TV directional antenna. I get great signal, just a P25 decoding issue from the multiple sites. I do receive it better on my mobile once I travel a 1/2 mile in any direction but just not at my residence. (Wish I could do that with the snow.) I'm thinking your PRO-97 will experience the same issues if you visited me.

I am picking up the Geauga simulcast perfect with every one of my antennas now that they turned it on. I am told by one of the systems programmers that I will be able to hear any Cuyahoga or Lake sub-fleets on the Geauga System providing one radio on that sub-fleet affiliates to a Geauga tower, and vice versa. My Fire Radio on the Geauga system currently is still affiliating with the Cuyahoga system, presumably the Chagrin Tower, even though Geauga is also co-existing at that site (can't figure out why it wouldn't affiliate with Geauga first). I'm hoping that there will be enough Cuyahoga radios affiliating into Geauga so that I can hear something other then the current "garble". Otherwise, I will be stuck to that corner of my house where the DTV antenna can receive it.
Old 01-31-2013, 2:37 PM

Just an update on reception for Geauga P25 today ... Crystal clear, no garble at all from listening in Kent .. but only hearing radio traffic from the school system buses. No other system traffic.
Old 02-02-2013, 3:08 AM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

Another large batch of frequency applications has been submitted to the FCC for approval. More information is available on the FCC Web site:

Application 1

Application 2

Application 3

Application 4

Application 5

Application 6

Application 7

Application 8

Application 9

Application 10

Application 11

Application 12

Application 13

Application 14

Application 15

Application 16

73's

Ron
Old 02-02-2013, 8:29 AM

I don't see a site listed in the DB for Vinton County, but the updates flag Vinton as part of the system. ?
Old 02-02-2013, 9:08 AM
Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That's because a Vinton County site showed up in an earlier batch of applications, but the site has not been reported as active yet.
See post #834

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.

Last edited by radioscan; 02-02-2013 at 9:11 AM.. Reason: added URL
Old 02-03-2013, 2:49 PM

TG 19633

Heard today belived to be PW Geauga County.

Radio Id's heard 2808650 and 2808651.

These were heard on the Lake County side of the system. (Control Channel)...

GHF..
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2013, 4:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Geauga County Marcs-IP P25 Question

I was just woundering if anybody in Geauga county has heard much of anything on the new Geauga Marcs-IP P25 system? I know they only have the School buses on the system at this time. The scanners that I have are the uniden bcd 996xt and the hand held version the uniden bcd396xt with the antenna that came with it. The antenna that I use for the 996xt is a discone base antenna thats in my attic. I just don't seem to get anything on either one of the scanners for the new marcs P-25 system and when the buses were on the analog system there was always alot of talk. Now the meter bar on the display shows that I have which seems to be a good singnal 5 bars. But I don't seem to hear the control channel noise when I stop on it like I would on the analog system which I thought seemed weird. Now I do get quite abit of traffic on the cuyahoga Marcs-IP P25 system with the 700 band. I hear Chester Services, WestGeauga Scool buses, Solon /Glenwillow, and even some lake county stuff. And since uniden came out with the firmware updates for both scanners it even seemes to have made it better to understand with alot less garble sound. It still has some garble but much much better. I just really would like to find out about getting the Geauga P25 figured out before they switch over and I can't hear anything. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,

jludlow
Old 02-04-2013, 5:29 PM

Sounds like you are allo set for when public safety services switch over. You are correct, not much radio traffic currently on the system. Note, the control channel is silent on a P25 system, so you can't 'cheat' and see if you are acquiring the signal. The extreme upgrade on the HP has features to indicate if you are getting the signal and decoding it well enough to monitor.
Old 02-04-2013, 7:47 PM

jludlow,

In the morning and again around 2:00 PM you will hear the school bus chatter. You will also hear some maintenance chatter. I am running a Pro-96, PSR 500 and PSR 800 all at the same time and they all are picking up whatever talk exists. If you are not hearing anything I would recheck the radio's setup.

John
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Even though you won't "hear" the control channel, if you press hold while scanning it should stop on the control channel and you can "view" the site information.

I monitor MARCSIP in Columbus and often hear Cuyahoga, Eastcom, Westcom, Fayette, and Clark county dispatch when units are in the area. It has better audio and range than the old MARCS.

Last edited by W8RMH; 02-04-2013 at 11:04 PM..
Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just an update to my posting from yesterday. I was monitoring just the Geauga County P25 System this morning and Indeed heard quite a bit of traffic. I logged down about about 5 Talk Group ID numbers that I now have to see who they belong to. Have some ideas about a couple of them but some carefull listening should figure it out. Thanks to all who have responded to my Question.

jludlow.

Tags
700 mhz, central ohio, clark county, dayton, elyria, fayette county, london, lorain county, marcs, marcs p25, marcs-ip, ohio, ohio marcs cuyahoga, southwest ohio, springfield, sticky, urbana, washington ch