RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Ohio Radio Discussion Forum

Ohio Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Ohio.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdAzalea View Post
You could put it in a wiki here.
In fact, to put it in the Wiki would be very appropriate and appreciated.
www.wa8pyr.info
If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2014, 1:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Westshore Signal Quality

I'm in Avon Lake and before Westshore changed to MARCS/IP, I could hear all the cities police dispatch and Westcom perfectly on my Pro106 with the 800MHZ antenna. Now I can barely make them out, the digital is pretty broken up, but I can hear Lakewood perfectly. Any ideas?

Jerry
Old 08-10-2014, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsteele View Post
I'm in Avon Lake and before Westshore changed to MARCS/IP, I could hear all the cities police dispatch and Westcom perfectly on my Pro106 with the 800MHZ antenna. Now I can barely make them out, the digital is pretty broken up, but I can hear Lakewood perfectly. Any ideas?

Jerry
If you hear Lakewood OK I see no reason at all why you wouldn't hear Westshore OK. The I-90 Columbia Rd. or Stearns Rd.sites seem close enough for you.

It's a simulcast system that they both are on. If you hear one you hear all.

Last edited by EdAzalea; 08-10-2014 at 3:40 PM..
Old 08-10-2014, 8:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I would think I would hear everyone the same. I have a friend with one of the PDs that said their radios don't hear as well as their old analog ones did. Does anyone else have any issues hearing Westshore PDs?
Old 08-10-2014, 9:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The only way I can reliably receive Westshore is the use of a very narrow focused Yagi. If I use any conventional antennas I have terrible audio breakup due to the simulcasting. I am in the middle of several towers so my situation may be different. Aiming the antenna at the closest tower does not work. I must aim between two of the towers out west.

I am no expert but from what I observe I believe each tower can dynamically vary the transmit output based on where a base and mobile are located. This may be why you can hear Lakewood and not the cities located closer to you. I also noticed that one or more frequencies in the pool may cause more simulcast interference than another possibly due to the antenna location on the tower. It took several days of antenna aiming to get good reception and the error margin on the antenna position is less than 5 degrees

All these factors combine in the simulcast soup and depending on where you are located can make or break reception.
Sponsored links

Old 08-10-2014, 9:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

Jerry
The scanner issue of why some users are clearly readable almost all of the time, while the majority of users suffer from LSM garble has never been answered.

It was first reported back in 2012. When the first Lake County users located near the Wickliffe Tower went live. Those users affiliated with both the Cuyahoga and Lake County MARCS-IP systems.

Since this issue only affects scanner users and not the system users. It's doubtful that MARCS will ever address it.
Old 08-10-2014, 9:40 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by an39511 View Post
The only way I can reliably receive Westshore is the use of a very narrow focused Yagi. If I use any conventional antennas I have terrible audio breakup due to the simulcasting. I am in the middle of several towers so my situation may be different. Aiming the antenna at the closest tower does not work. I must aim between two of the towers out west.

I am no expert but from what I observe I believe each tower can dynamically vary the transmit output based on where a base and mobile are located. This may be why you can hear Lakewood and not the cities located closer to you. I also noticed that one or more frequencies in the pool may cause more simulcast interference than another possibly due to the antenna location on the tower. It took several days of antenna aiming to get good reception and the error margin on the antenna position is less than 5 degrees

All these factors combine in the simulcast soup and depending on where you are located can make or break reception.
I have a similar problem ... I bought a yagi but haven't put it up yet. I did put up a multi band antenna that helped with MARCS IP reception, but I think i just got lucky that i installed it in the right place. I'm not far from the Hopkins site, but as I drive from the airport to my house I can tell the signal starts to drop or get interference from one of the other sites.

going back to gdsteele's original post, I don't understand why Lakewood would be any different if he is picking up the Westlake site .. gdsteele, I sent you a PM
Old 08-11-2014, 2:12 PM

Quote:
I would think I would hear everyone the same. I have a friend with one of the PDs that said their radios don't hear as well as their old analog ones did. Does anyone else have any issues hearing Westshore PDs?
All of MARCS-IP comes in great here in North Olmsted, even when I use the rubber duck that came with my BCD436HP.
Old 08-11-2014, 7:06 PM

Heard a lot of traffic on 53011 today during the I-76 closure in Akron (debris on the roadway) .. appeared to be the freeway incident response trucks .. but never heard a TG name .. 53011 falls in the ODOT Common Talkgroup range .
Old 08-14-2014, 4:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_35 View Post
New in the last week, t.g. 35005. radio id's start at 57xxxxx so its someone in montgomery county. Sounds like private ambulance. Heard them talking to "dayton ops".
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd8ati View Post
If you are hearing unit numbers in the 7xx's that would be Community EMS (XCOMMEMS1), as they have just joined MARCS.
I am hearing the above in Columbus, with calls in Franklin, Hamilton, and Montgomery Counties and have submitted 35005 to the DB.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:51 PM

I just looked up community ems in ohio and it looks like they are based out of Columbus and there service map had counties they work in and Montgomery isn't one of them. radio ids always start with 57**** so it makes me think someone based out of Montgomery? if im wrong I apologize.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:51 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopranosno1 View Post
I just looked up community ems in ohio and it looks like they are based out of Columbus and there service map had counties they work in and Montgomery isn't one of them. radio ids always start with 57**** so it makes me think someone based out of Montgomery? if im wrong I apologize.
I am hearing runs off the Columbus site in Franklin, Montgomery (Huber Heights), and Butler Counties. It sounded like the same dispatcher.
Old 08-16-2014, 5:08 AM

Thumbs up

Are you seeing the 57**** radio ids? The rafio ids make me think someone based around montgomery county.
Old 08-16-2014, 9:55 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Community EMS operates at all hospitals within the Kettering network... from Greene Memorial in Xenia to Huber Memorial in Huber Heights to Fort Hamilton Hospital in Hamilton.

If you are hearing unit numbers in the 7xx range that is Community EMS units. If you are hearing unit numbers in the 4xx range that is Mercy Health Medical Transport which operates mostly in the Cincinnati area. Two different talkgroups which are often simulcasted and/or patched.
Old 08-16-2014, 3:35 PM

Sopranosno1 is seeing radio id's in the 57xxxx range not 7xxxxx range ,there is a difference!
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2014, 12:02 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_35 View Post
Sopranosno1 is seeing radio id's in the 57xxxx range not 7xxxxx range ,there is a difference!
If that was directed towards me, im not talking about radio ID's.... im talking about on air unit numbers you hear.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:02 PM

Thumbs up

I thought i have heard 700 unit numbers but im talking anout radio ids. Everytime i see the talk group 35005 i see ids starting with 57**** 57 is montgomery county. It may be community ems but i wonder whynthey have 57 s for radio ids? Are they based out of montgomery county? Eveyone seeing this talk group are you seeing 57****radio ids?
Old 08-17-2014, 10:10 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I thought i have heard 700 unit numbers but im talking anout radio ids. Everytime i see the talk group 35005 i see ids starting with 57**** 57 is montgomery county. It may be community ems but i wonder whynthey have 57 s for radio ids? Are they based out of montgomery county? Eveyone seeing this talk group are you seeing 57****radio ids?
Their Ohio operations center is in Centerville. Took me about 15 seconds to find that out in a Google search. And, that would explain the 57**** radio IDs.

Contact Us - Community EMS

Mike

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:09 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

When I google searched them I got this address: 4581 Poth Rd, Columbus, OH , but after further investigation I see their Centerville location. No better Ohio HQ than the exact center of the state.

Last edited by W8RMH; 08-18-2014 at 12:14 AM..
Old 08-18-2014, 1:49 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
When I google searched them I got this address: 4581 Poth Rd, Columbus, OH , but after further investigation I see their Centerville location. No better Ohio HQ than the exact center of the state.
Well, I'm a fast typer, and I actually googled "Community EMS Ohio", clicked on the first link, and saw the 937 area code. That was enough of an answer for me, but right down the results page was another link announcing a partnership between Community EMS and Kettering Health. Pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Gotta be careful about Poth Rd. not sure what sites to believe -- communityems.org, cemsohio.org, medcareohio.org, or some combination. The communityems.org website About page is the best source I think.. It also mentions that the Ohio location [and I'm presuming Centerville] is the second dispatch location, responsible for dispatching Ohio/illinois.

Mike

Tags
700 mhz, central ohio, clark county, dayton, elyria, fayette county, london, lorain county, marcs, marcs p25, marcs-ip, ohio, ohio marcs cuyahoga, southwest ohio, springfield, sticky, urbana, washington ch