Toledo and Ottawa Hills FD to Merge Jan 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
What will the Ottawa Hills station be called now?

stpd438

The WTOL news link mentioned an initiative to re-number all stations and equipment in Lucas County to ease in identification during mutual aid incidents. I was told that the new numbers will be based off of what Life Squad is closest to their area. Sylvania Township Fire has already switched their numberings to coincide with their life squad (Life Squad 6), effective January 1, 2011. So Sylvania Township Engine 1 (out of Station 1) is now Engine 61 (also now Station 61), Engine 2 is now Engine 62 (with Station 62), etc. I have no idea if other departments in the county have switched yet or not.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
In the county or in the city? The county I can understand - the city doesn't make sense.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Interesting to note having worked for Sylvania FD for 30 years... retiring 13 years ago... what's old... is new again. Back in the day most Lucas Co FD's had this type of numbering. I can't remember exactly... but it went something like this. 4 = Oregon, 5 = Springfield, 6 = Sylvania. Spencer I think was 1, Berkey was 2, Whitehouse was 7 (or something like that. I can't remember all of them exactly but all the numbers were used). Next came the station number followed by what type of apparatus. 1 = first out engine, 2 = second out engine, 3 = squad, 4 = tanker, 5 = heavy rescue, 7 = ladder truck and so on. You could tell by the radio call exactly what the rig was and where it was from. If you heard the ID 417... it was a ladder truck from Oregon station 1 or 621 was the first out engine from Sylvania station 2. Having been one of the first paramedics... the Sylvania REMSNO Life Squad was numbered 6because Sylvania used the 6 starter radio ID back then.

bvankl

Premium Subscriber
It was always my understanding that the trend from station numbering to common language was to comply with Federal "recommendations". The push started when the term interoperability began getting thrown around. This also was a requirement for federal grants. This way if you heard “Sylvania Engine 1” ( being you’re here Ralph) arrive on your scene you knew who and what was there. This would be especially true if Sylvania arrived on a scene in Wood County (I understand the chance of going to Wood is small, just as example).

This also was the case in Monroe County. When the grant for the radio system was awarded, one of the stipulations was that all numbering (station numbers, “10” codes) must go to common terminology.

Now, that Lucas County is going back to the numbering system, I presume that my thinking is not correct.

Bob

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
This started with the beginning of the Incident Command System or ICS. The early trend was to have common reference. Some used engine... some pumper... then some used truck... some ladder. Some things just didn't fit. No problems when communicating with your own department... everybody knew what engine 1 was. Then a common radio frequency and a mult mutual aid response... the crews would be excited and not add the name... like Sylvania engine 1. They all would ID as engine 1... but who was it? Sylvania, Springfield, Ottawa Hills... nobody knew who was who! Another problem... some stations had more then one engine. For example... Sylvania station 1 has 2 engines. The first one was easy... engine 1. But what to call the second engine. Not engine 2 because that conflicted with station 2 engine 2. They started trying engine 1b and 2b... all kinds of stuff like that. What a mess! I liked the old way... 611, 612 and right down the line. By the way... that numbering all started back with the Lucas Co Fire Chiefs back in the 60's. Chief Elmer Cline came up with the idea. They tried to get Toledo to try it. I think they were assigned the ID of 3. So TFD station 7 engine would ID... 371. A ladder from TFD station 6 would be 367. But the problem was what to do for places like station 11, 23, 25, etc. Also the ICS trend was to use common terms in place of 10 codes. Signal 2 in Lucas Co was not the same as a signal 2 in Monroe Co. Back in the day... Lucas Co (except Toledo) had a common signal code system. IE: Signal 1 = enroute, signal 2 = on scene, 3 = in service, 4 = ok or yes, 5 = repeat, 6 = radio test and so on...

rdale

Premium Subscriber
This also was a requirement for federal grants

The only requirement for grants is that you use NIMS and plain language (i.e. no 10-codes) when in a mutual aid situation. That's it. Numbering schemes are up to the user. Up here we changed to add the NFIRS(?) department digit to the start of units (Lansing Engine 1 became Lansing Engine 41.)

sepura

Premium Subscriber
so we know that the old Ottawa Hills FD is now Toledo Station 15... is the old OHFD toledo engine 15 now? or did it get moved to a different location in the city? itll be nice to see a standard fire engine in the city. toledo a few years back started using those engines with the nose. they look so weird to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.