Franklin County Talkgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuLabsWuTecH

I was curious as to whether anyone knows what the talkgroup 15408 is for in the Franklin County Public Safety Trunked System. It seems to be the same as 10 fire but on a 15 second delay?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Monitored this TGID for the last few hours. Heard nothing. There were numerous calls on 10 Fire, but none of it came over 15408. I will definitely keep it in my scanners. May be they are testing something new like an alert or page system.

Last edited:

WuLabsWuTecH

This is an old post, but I figured it out and wanted to update this topic in case anyone else had similar questions.

Each station in the system has it's own Talkgroup labeled PA## where ## is the station number. While normally, dispatches come through an IP data router, if the system detects an issue, each station has a radio that is tuned to PA## and is hooked up to the station PA system. I am guessing that TG15408 was one of these and had I been paying closer attention, I would have seen that I was hearing everything on a 15 second delay, but for one particular station only. So when the main router goes down, they can still dispatch each station via the PA system using a radio talkgroup.

This makes sense--other systems in the RR database have talkgroups published for specific station calls. I guess no one bothered to enter in the ones for the franklin county system!

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
Does this mean that if we have the right talkgroups, we could listen to dispatches for each individual station? 10 Fire has too much traffic for my listening preference, so I keep it locked out most of the time. I have always wondered if there was a way I could narrow it down to just a handful of stations that are of interest to me.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
This is an old post, but I figured it out and wanted to update this topic in case anyone else had similar questions.

Each station in the system has it's own Talkgroup labeled PA## where ## is the station number. While normally, dispatches come through an IP data router, if the system detects an issue, each station has a radio that is tuned to PA## and is hooked up to the station PA system. I am guessing that TG15408 was one of these and had I been paying closer attention, I would have seen that I was hearing everything on a 15 second delay, but for one particular station only. So when the main router goes down, they can still dispatch each station via the PA system using a radio talkgroup.

This makes sense--other systems in the RR database have talkgroups published for specific station calls. I guess no one bothered to enter in the ones for the franklin county system!

We can only enter what's submitted. These have never been confirmed or submitted; if you can confirm which station 15408 is the PA talkgroup for, please submit it and it will be entered.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Does this mean that if we have the right talkgroups, we could listen to dispatches for each individual station? 10 Fire has too much traffic for my listening preference, so I keep it locked out most of the time. I have always wondered if there was a way I could narrow it down to just a handful of stations that are of interest to me.

As noted in the previous post, these are backup talkgroups only and this would only work if the computer network goes down.

Unfortunately... :D

(although from a system administrator's standpoint, the thought of seven or eight talkgroups all going active at once for a large incident dispatch on top of other system traffic is kind of worrisome; talk about loading problems...)

sopranosno1

16464, 16592, 16854, 16944. i have heard these in the last year visiting columbus. these talk groups for the public safety sys. they sounded like paging,announcement, type talk. one of these had the same type talk as 272 for columbus fire or ems. im assuming these are the same as 15408 youve heard.

WuLabsWuTecH

Yes, but only when the talkgroups are in use. They are backup talkgroups for when the locution box at the station goes down or is out for maintenance. Remember that in normal operations, no audio is transmitted through the ip switches. Only a short data burst is and the locution box then strings together the necessary parts of the dispatch and plays it out on the PA. When the backup talkgroups are active, the audio is actually transmitted over the air from what I would assume is a locution box at the FAO.

As noted in the previous post, these are backup talkgroups only and this would only work if the computer network goes down.

Unfortunately... :D

(although from a system administrator's standpoint, the thought of seven or eight talkgroups all going active at once for a large incident dispatch on top of other system traffic is kind of worrisome; talk about loading problems...)

Thinking about it more, the station dispatching system is starting to make more and more sense to me. Before locution, all reports of fires and expanded incidents were dispatched by battalion and not by station during the day. So if there was a working fire, even if your station was not on the run, your PA would open if someone in your battalion was on the run. This still happens from time to time and it must be when we're being dispatched via the PA TG and not the locution box.

This also explains those dispatches where seemingly we are dispatched twice. There are a few times that we'll hear the dispatch over the PA, and then as we're getting in the truck, hear it over the PA again. Locution must detect some error in the system and therefore send it out via the PA talkgroup. I hope there is some mechanism in place to prevent both from going off at the same time--otherwise two dispatches stacked on top of each other wound be unintelligible!!!

If anyone is interested, I think the easiest way to figure this out without having your hands on a copy of the manual would be to track talkgroups that have the automated dispatch on them and write down the talkgroup number and which units you heard on them. From there, once you have a sufficiently long list, you could figure out which TG corresponded with which station.

Once again, this would only be useful when locution is down--unlike other counties, the PA TGs are not used as the primary method of dispatching, or so it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.