Opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapperq

Premium Subscriber
I want to know if anyone has used or heard of the DPD Productions 118 - 1000 MHz LP antenna. I want to contect this to a Uniden BCD996XLT scanner. I'm ready to buy one of these but don't know if there's anything better than this one. I'm also going to have a rotor on the antenna.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
DPD productions have excellent quality products from what I have read,but I personally do not own any...yet. ;)
You will probably not go wrong.

n9zas

Swipesy

I want to know if anyone has used or heard of the DPD Productions 118 - 1000 MHz LP antenna. I want to contect this to a Uniden BCD996XLT scanner. I'm ready to buy one of these but don't know if there's anything better than this one. I'm also going to have a rotor on the antenna.

I have two DPD Productions antennas. (1) Traintenna Mobile 5/8 Wave (2) 700-900 UHF Plus LP.

Both antennas are top quality in terms of build. The Traintenna is an outstanding performer. The 700-900 is a major disappointment.

Swipesy

Why is the 700-900 Log Periodical a disappointment?

My physical location makes for terrible reception (surrounded by 100 ft trees, down in a valley and 4 story house on one side). For years I used an Omni directional Antenex antenna which did okay but not great and a Diamond J discone which is fine for conventional listening. I also use a Yagi for one particular system. After reading the specs on the 700-800 and the reviews by users (picks up great through trees etc.) this antenna sounded like the ideal antenna to improve reception. So I invested the $150.00 in it. The antenna was near deaf on conventional and was deaf on Trunked systems no matter what direction it was pointed. I then took the Antennex, Yagi and 700-900 to various locations and tested them side by side. The 700-900 was the poorest performer of the three antennas. It often missed transmissions that the other two antennas were picking up and when it did receive, the signals were weaker. Thus, based on the "reviews", P/R and $150.00 investment, the antenna is a major disappointment. It is now collecting dust in storage.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I have the 700-1000 LP (or at least I thought that was the spectrum covered on the one I bought when I bought it). Construction is beautiful. It's solid.

But, I will say that a single 3-ele dB Products 800 Mhz antenna beats the pants off of it,in my location, every time, and every direction. I used the LP til I picked up the dB Products antenna on Ebay for cheap. I've never looked back. The DPD has been in storage for a couple years.

I do have a DPD OmniX that sees more action. It's a pretty decent Omni for 144 Mhz+. It does better on 800 Mhz than either my ST-2 or my dual-band Diamond ham antenna. So if I'm not wanting to listen to specifically 800 Mhz, I use the DPD OmniX.

With all of that said, if I didn't have the dB Products 3-ele for 800 Mhz, I'd used the DPD LP on 800 mhz because it is the only other antenna I've ever used that came close in performance.

Mike

jackj

Snapperq, thanks for the info. It's hard to judge just by looking at pictures but the 700-900 LP looks like it should be a good antenna although the specs do read a little on the optimistic side. I'm using an old Radio Shack discone antenna and it seems to work pretty good but it doesn't have any gain. If you don't need the gain of a directional antenna then you might consider a discone.

Status
Not open for further replies.