RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Ohio Radio Discussion Forum

Ohio Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Ohio.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I was amazed how good the system sounds here in Bratenahl on my HP. Sometimes there is an echo and a little garble but for the most part crystal clear. Problem is I can only listen in Discovery mode until next weeks HPs update
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default on what do you base your opinion ?

"My belief is the XT works well just about anywhere, and the GREs work if you happen to be in the right spot"

I don't ask, trying to be a "SA", but wonder why you think this, having two GRE's (600 and 800), which both seem to work fine.

Thanks

Don
Old 08-27-2013, 12:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I had a PSR-500 for about 5 years; it worked great until MARCS P25 came along. Lake and Cuyahoga systems on MARCS P25 made the 500 unusable. Total garble, bits and snips of conversation, totally killed by LSM. A 1 out of 5.

Got a HDTV desktop beam, which helped, brought it to about a 3 out of 5. But needed precision aiming of antenna, and even then it wasn't perfect. Would miss initial conversations on a locked-on TG. No amount of relocating, inside, outside, local driving around, nothing would fix it.

Gave up and sold it a few months ago and got the 396XT. Totally different story...it works on MARCS P25 and Cleveland P25, no matter where I am or what I do. It's like listening to local analog (almost) once again. With nothing more than the RS 800 whip...driving around with it is a very good experience.

Reports of other GRE owners on here, being quite a few miles from where I live (but still in the receiving area), report both positive and negative results. So far, XT users I've talked to have the same good experience as me.
Old 08-27-2013, 1:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default GRE Radio's

Thanks Erik,
I see you live about 4 miles SE of me.
My 500 is on an 5/8 high band antenna at about 25 ft, thru a
4 port receiver multi-coupler ( with a couple BC 355 type scanners)
while the 800 is just using the stock "rubber duck".
Because of my location, I am hearing the "new" Cleveland system and
the MARCS-IP as well as The Lake county system just fine I am about
3 miles from both the Cleveland tower, in Euclid and the Marcs-IP and
Lake county tower ( the same tower) in Wickliffe.

I guess the key to my 500 working well, I'm not trying to listen
to simulcast systems with it.

Most of the "problem" with listening to simulcast systems, to much signal<
hearing more then one "tower" on a system, most scanners can't deal with it,
while the "real" radio's know how to handle it.

I will look into the 396XT for the next radio I need.

Thanks

Don
Old 08-27-2013, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eorange View Post
My belief is the XT works well just about anywhere, and the GREs work if you happen to be in the right spot.
With all due respect to my friend Erik, I think your XT is more luck as to reception you are getting then anything else. As I read the posts on RR from around the Country it is very clear that neither the Uniden nor the GRE's are perfect on simulcast systems. They all have their terrible moments and their excellent moments. Since Erik and I sat side by side with our Uniden's and GRE's I would give his Uniden a very slim plus over my GRE's in tonal quality but not enough to buy one. It is a Chevy - Ford issue in my book.

John
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2013, 2:44 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Thanks John

We may not have a lot of choice, Uniden is still in business.

And we have no idea what is going on with GRE.

While I get all kinds of "info" from manufacturers in China,
none seems to offer a scanner, ever if I have to buy 25 (smile).

Don
Old 08-27-2013, 3:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipesy View Post
With all due respect to my friend Erik, I think your XT is more luck as to reception you are getting then anything else.
Luck is the key word here. Hard to know what's happening elsewhere in the country. But here...we all have the same hardware, so I attribute it to location, and then how well the scanner can adapt to what its given. Maybe I'm getting hammered by multipath; maybe you aren't, and maybe your signal is attenuated more with your geography.

The point is we can speculate all day, but I definitely say my 396XT works better for me than my 500 did, given my locale. I have been driving around Lake and Geauga county more with my 396, and I know my 500 was really bad in that respect.

I also had a early-serial-number 500, and always wondered if that had something to do with it, even though I had the latest firmware.
Old 08-28-2013, 2:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Some of the first responders i talked to in Cleveland said they also occasionally get garbled transmissions on there radios. Mostly when in motion.

This link is a very good discussion on P25 multipath interference.

http://forums.radioreference.com/gen...erference.html
Old 08-28-2013, 6:32 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe a few extra towers is needed for the new system?
Old 08-28-2013, 6:56 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

LESS towers would be better = LESS LSM! haha
Old 08-28-2013, 7:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Something tells me that the multicast sites are set up correctly due to coverage but perhaps we need to think outside of the box and use antennas with LESS gain, perhaps even use attenuators. Maybe an RF AGC in a handheld or mobile radio would do the trick?

There's enough DSP power out therebut not being implimented yet that could "look" at an rf signal say "yup, this is distorted, cut 3dbm, cut 3dbm, cut 3bdm, hold, save" and adjust accordingly every 100mseconds.

You guys with the PSR-800's always say your receiver hears things my 396xt can't... could that be a clue? I use a JUNK handheld antenna and I can hear the Cleveland p25 system clear into the Mentor/Painesville line. Specifically the Painesville Giant Eagle on Rt. 20..
Old 08-28-2013, 7:24 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I actually tried that. I bought one of those attenuating race antennas that is a stubby nub, and tried it with my PSR-500. Unfortunately it was too much of a brick - I couldn't even get a signal from the tower. That was my last ditch effort in getting my PSR-500 to function with the new P25 systems.

In concept, though, that is really what's needed - a rheostat attenuator!

I since haven't tried the stubby with my 396XT because, well, there's no need.
Old 08-28-2013, 7:35 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

ESL - also remember that with the XT line you have to have fully open squelch on P25 simulcast systems. Makes the conventional channels harder to scan but big improvement.
Old 08-28-2013, 1:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No I don't. I run the squelch at the stock "2" that it came set at from the factory. I just purposely use a really crappy antenna that isolates me to one single tower. Yes, I have used this setup downtown, no it doesn't distort.

I remember one post where someone was in Lakewood and had to lay their PSR800 down on their patio to get "better" reception.

Too much signal hitting the radios...
Old 08-28-2013, 11:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Help with Talk Group ID's

I've monitored the following Talk Groups multiple times over the last week. I'm looking for assistance in giving them a proper designation.

TG56123 Monitored the following traffic: Inmates are in the van. The Cleveland Clinic Detail is ready. Lieutenant xxxxxx doing a radio check.
The radio id's on this TG are 1836xxx. Right now my guess would be CPD Transport.

TG56151 Monitored the following traffic: Towing of vehicles. Comments on vehicle current status. Questions such as are the keys inside? Also conversations originated by TG56137 CPD Towing Channel 7. The radio id's on this TG are (also) 1836xxx. My guess is that this TG is CPD vehicle maintenance.

TG56208 Traffic on this TG originate from TG56138 CPD Warrants Channel 9. The dispatchers from CPD Warrants Channel 9 refers to TG56208 as Clerks. TG56208 (Clerks) provides case information, warrant status, and verifies if DNA information is available. The radio id for this TG is 1829xxx. TG56208 is right in the middle of other TG's identified as Cleveland Muni Court and the Cleveland Jail. I've monitored traffic from the early morning till late at night. Can anyone specifically tag this Clerk group? Clerk of Courts, Clerk of Records, CPD Clerk of Records, etc...?
Old 08-29-2013, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budevans View Post
I've monitored the following Talk Groups multiple times over the last week. I'm looking for assistance in giving them a proper designation.

TG56123 Monitored the following traffic: Inmates are in the van. The Cleveland Clinic Detail is ready. Lieutenant xxxxxx doing a radio check.
The radio id's on this TG are 1836xxx. Right now my guess would be CPD Transport.

TG56151 Monitored the following traffic: Towing of vehicles. Comments on vehicle current status. Questions such as are the keys inside? Also conversations originated by TG56137 CPD Towing Channel 7. The radio id's on this TG are (also) 1836xxx. My guess is that this TG is CPD vehicle maintenance.

TG56208 Traffic on this TG originate from TG56138 CPD Warrants Channel 9. The dispatchers from CPD Warrants Channel 9 refers to TG56208 as Clerks. TG56208 (Clerks) provides case information, warrant status, and verifies if DNA information is available. The radio id for this TG is 1829xxx. TG56208 is right in the middle of other TG's identified as Cleveland Muni Court and the Cleveland Jail. I've monitored traffic from the early morning till late at night. Can anyone specifically tag this Clerk group? Clerk of Courts, Clerk of Records, CPD Clerk of Records, etc...?
What radio models is Cleveland EMS/Fire using?
Old 08-29-2013, 3:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I saw a segment on the news where they were interviewing someone in the sherriff dept and he was using a Harris radio.
Old 08-29-2013, 4:03 PM

The SO and City are not necessarily using the same radios. This should be public record somewhere.
Old 08-29-2013, 5:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default TG56134 CPD Special Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Azalea View Post
The SO and City are not necessarily using the same radios. This should be public record somewhere.
They were using the same radio's today, during a simultaneous raid. At 4:40 PM on TG56134 CPD SWAT, FBI SWAT and S.O. SWAT executed warrants for simultaneous searches at three separate locations. Each team handled one location. TG56134 was identified by CPD Command and CPD Warrants Dispatcher (Console id 1009) as the CPD Special Events channel. The radio id for each team lead was 185xxxx (Cleveland radio id's), the Sheriff's radio id's are 1879xxx (based on past monitoring of the S.O.).

At 5:33 CPD Command had the teams switch from CPD Special Events to CPD TAC-3 (encrypted channel).

Last edited by budevans; 08-29-2013 at 5:01 PM.. Reason: typo fixed
Old 08-29-2013, 5:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default TG56123 Cleveland Department of Corrections

Quote:
Originally Posted by budevans View Post

TG56123 Monitored the following traffic: Inmates are in the van. The Cleveland Clinic Detail is ready. Lieutenant xxxxxx doing a radio check. The radio id's on this TG are 1836xxx. Right now my guess would be CPD Transport.
TG56123 is either the Cleveland City Jail or the Cleveland House of Corrections, based on monitoring it's activities today. The City Jail and House of Corrections are the only two city departments thats activities match the radio traffic monitored today. Both house inmates, have facilities for medical care and transport inmates.

One item leads me to believe that TG56123 is the City Jail, the hourly change in population. The City Jail houses people arrested by CPD who are awaiting trial or held for bail. The House of Corrections houses inmates convicted by the Cleveland Muni Courts, I would think fewer hourly population changes (far less coming and going in that time frame). If anyone can confirm or deny TG56123 as the City Jail, please reply to this post.

Last edited by wa8pyr; 08-29-2013 at 5:26 PM..

Tags