OSP Start 24/7 Operations for Largest Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swipesy

Why doesn't the State of Ohio just invest in speed cameras for the metropolitan freeways? Problem with out of control speeders will be solved in 30 days and our OSP officers lives will not be threatened by pulling over speeders on dangerous freeways.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
The Patrol watches for many more things than just speed, speed camera fines can't add points to licenses for habitual offenders, why make some corporation rich while Ohio only gets a portion of the fine, etc.

Mike

jackj

What's wrong with depending on the local police to enforce traffic laws inside the city/village limits? Why spend the money to duplicate enforcement efforts?

jasonk

Feed Provider
What's wrong with depending on the local police to enforce traffic laws inside the city/village limits? Why spend the money to duplicate enforcement efforts?

Because the Great Governor has slashed Local Government Funds by 25% with more cuts to come. Most Local FD/PD/EMS are skating by with minimal manpower handling an increasing Call Volume. I guess all the Surplus they found after these cuts will be Blown on OSP Overtime in the Metro Areas - which will equate to additional Taxes (ie speeding fines) on the Citizens. Seems like his philosophy is opposite of his Anti Big Government Talk .... Just my .02 cents ..

Jason

mdulrich

Feed Provider

Many local police agencies don't have the resources to provide traffic enforcement with the amount of criminal activity they are dealing with. Just handling calls for service and the associated paperwork keeps their units busy and doesn't allow time for routine patrol, let alone cruising the highways looking for traffic violators.

Mike

a388sig2

Why should taxpayers, BMV fee payers and gas tax payers in the most populus cities in Ohio not receive the same OSP services that they pay for rural areas? Why should my money from Cleveland never return to services in Cleveland?

I'd much rather have OSP investigate a crash on 480, then say, Independence police department, or God forbid the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's department.

Ever try to phone in a drunk driver on the interstates surrounding Cleveland? It's a total joke as CECOMS passes you on to one jurisdiction, then that jurisdiction passes you on to the next, and soon the violator crashes and it's all over. At least with a full OSP commitment to service, there would be a good shot at multiple officers being available.

jackj

Maybe I have misunderstood the reason for state funding grants. My impression was that they were to be used to buy equipment over and above what the local PD, FD or Sheriff can afford to absorb in their budget. IR video equipment for the FD can run into thousands of dollars per department. Ditto for dash cams in the PD / Sheriff cars. The grants are not intended to be used for normal operating expenses. State funding should be regarded as "Sunny Day Funds", money that is really nice to have but you shouldn't depend on it always being a sunny day.

If you feel that the state should return taxes to the local government then you need to study how government regards taxes and how they handle give-backs. Why do you want to pay the state to hire 100's of people to administer give-backs. Why not keep the funds local to start with and not pay the state's skim on the funds.

Remember it is always more expensive to pay someone else than it is to do the job yourself.

n8vur

Feed Provider
I'd much rather have OSP investigate a crash on 480, then say, Independence police department, or God forbid the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's department.

Do you think Independence or CCSO in incapable of filling out an OH-1? Independence does it for MVA's on 480 constantly.

Ever try to phone in a drunk driver on the interstates surrounding Cleveland? It's a total joke as CECOMS passes you on to one jurisdiction, then that jurisdiction passes you on to the next, and soon the violator crashes and it's all over. At least with a full OSP commitment to service, there would be a good shot at multiple officers being available.

Most OSP posts these days have at best 2 cars and maybe a supervisor on the road most days. After holidays where they beef up staffing, it can take weeks for them to get back to normal. I'm going to be surprised to see more than one car sitting on 480 running radar in Cuyahoga County - just like the last time OSP played this game.

n8vur

Feed Provider
Many local police agencies don't have the resources to provide traffic enforcement with the amount of criminal activity they are dealing with. Just handling calls for service and the associated paperwork keeps their units busy and doesn't allow time for routine patrol, let alone cruising the highways looking for traffic violators.

Mike

Come on up to Cuyahoga County some time, because the view looks pretty different from where I sit. North Olmsted and Fairview Park are on 480 almost daily. Even Garfield Heights (no lack of crime there) is getting in to the mix. On 77, Independence is out daily, Broadview Heights and Brecksville are often out, too. 271 finds Beachwood and Bedford playing games on a regular basis. I-90: Rocky River and Westlake on the west side, Bratenahl and sometimes Euclid on the east side. I-71, Lynndale, Middleburgh Heights, Strongsville and Cuyahoga County SO are often out. And, of course, Cleveland still has a fully staffed traffic unit that runs operations when they're not tied up with sporting events.

kc8rak

Every day i see OSP on 271 near Beachwood and just South of the 271/480 area. They seem to really like that wide grass area just South of 480. My work route take's me to Mansfield every day and i have to say OSP is very busy on 271 71. I've had issues with my work car a few time's and i swear with in mins they have been there to check up on me. I see a lot of those units that enforce the trucker rules. Do they use the OSP post talk group or they on their own?

a388sig2

Do you think Independence or CCSO in incapable of filling out an OH-1? Independence does it for MVA's on 480 constantly.

Filling out an OH-1 is not as detailed as a crash investigation. BMV allows citizens to submit OH-1 reports.

I'd rather go to court with an OSHP prepared investigation report than an Indepedence or Cuyahoga County OH-1. Don't even get me started with Cleveland PD, we all remember the two that ignored a pedestrian struck on I-71 as they told their radio room it was a deer.

BusterCMH

OSP may be more thorough in their crash investigations than some other agencies, but they use the same forms as every other agency in the state, memorializing the info on an OH-1 and related forms. Citizens do not fill out OH-1s. They may complete a witness statement for the officer, but they don't complete and submit OH-1s.

What does any of this have to do with RadioReference?

a388sig2

OSP may be more thorough in their crash investigations than some other agencies, but they use the same forms as every other agency in the state, memorializing the info on an OH-1 and related forms. Citizens do not fill out OH-1s. They may complete a witness statement for the officer, but they don't complete and submit OH-1s.

Line 142:
Report Taken By
1 Police Agency
2 Motorist

What does any of this have to do with RadioReference?

Up thread there was mention of OSP doing more field patrol in urban areas throughout Ohio.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I new this would happen back when I first read this thread.

Police Raise Concerns About Highway Patrol's Presence | WBNS-10TV Columbus, Ohio

An attractive young lady friend of mine approached me after she was pulled over 3 times in 2 weeks by the same trooper and never cited. The last time he was talking like he just wanted to hang out. When I contacted the patrol asking if the side streets of Columbus were out of their jurisdiction I was told that the entire state is in their jurisdiction.

This was the reason that some states, like Ohio, made their state agencies "Highway Patrol" and not "State Police", to restrict the state's control of our citizens. Next they will be knocking at our doors.

I guess this is our new Ohio State Police.

Last edited:

pyrman64

This was the reason that some states, like Ohio, made their state agencies "Highway Patrol" and not "State Police", to restrict the state's control of our citizens. Next they will be knocking at our doors.

But Ohio DOES have a State Police - it's a section of the State Highway Patrol. They are charged with policing State of Ohio property, ie. Statehouse, BMV, Riffe Center, Rhodes SOT, Gov's Mansion, Judicial Center (Supreme Court), Fairgrounds, etc.

Last edited:

BusterCMH

But Ohio DOES have a State Police - it's a section of the State Highway Patrol. They are charged with policing State of Ohio property, ie. Statehouse, BMV, Riffe Center, Rhodes SOT, Gov's Mansion, Judicial Center (Supreme Court), Fairgrounds, etc.

OSHP has police officers under their command that are state certified officers, but their jurisdiction is limited to state properties and facilities. They are limited in their authority outside of their jurisdiction, just as any other local law enforcement officer is in Ohio. They are not a State Police agency.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I new this would happen back when I first read this thread.

Police Raise Concerns About Highway Patrol's Presence | WBNS-10TV Columbus, Ohio

<snip>

Looking at the ORC it appears OSP is authorized by Section 5503 (as amended and reauthorized). In that section it does state "...enforce on all roads and highways, notwithstanding section 4513.39 of the Revised Code, the laws relating to the operation and use of vehicles on the highways..." but it doesn't give them unlimited police powers.

However, section 4513.39 limits the power to arrest for traffic violations to the areas outside municipal corporation limits.

The breakdown of who gets what in fines and costs (which is a root cause of the argument) is 5% to the Trauma & EMS Fund, 45% to the State General Fund, and 50% to the municipality where the violation occurred. If the violation was outside corporate limits the 50% cut goes to the county where the violation occurred.

This has been an argument between local authorities and the patrol at least as long as I've been in public safety (over 27 years and counting). It will only get settled when a court sets limits, or the General Assembly changes the law.

Realistically, it really doesn't make a big difference, as the Patrol's bread and butter is the State and Federal highways, and there just aren't enough of them to go gallivanting about making traffic stops on city streets as if they had nothing better to do.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I've been pulled over by the OSP probably a dozen times in my life. Most of those times I was issued a ticket... and justifiably so.

I wouldn't have any particular problem if the OSP turned into state police (like West Virginia). I wouldn't have a problem if they don't either.

I will say this -- Steubenville (a stone's throw from me) has had their police force downsized thanks to what I perceive as the city's inability to manage finances and do what is necessary to take advantage of local opportunities. And all of this happens as the city of Steubenville sees ever-increasing amounts of drug-related crime -- shootings, strong arm robberies, assaults, shots fired, etc. Lot's of Chicago activity in Steub these days.

In the past many months (perhaps six months), there has been an increasing number of OSP units not only in Jefferson Co but around Steubenville specifically. They often assist the local police these days. I don't know if that is a customary thing statewide, but around these parts it was rare that the OSP got involved in local law enforcement activities, at least not without some agency specifically requesting their assistance.

I welcome the fact that they have [apparently] "branched out" to help local law enforcement in a more direct way. Their increased presence in/around Steubenville and their assistance is invaluable in my opinion. Many of the local OSP units have direct access to our county 911 system now without having to be patched in [thanks to them having additional radios installed in vehicles specifically to communicate with our county]. When distant OSP units are around, they get patched in when needed. They don't necessarily wait for their assistance to be requested. If they hear something going down around here, they go and assist or at least ask the local agencies or 911 if their assistance is needed.

In a nutshell, I consider their increased presence around here a good thing. I'm not seeing any indication of abuse or overzealous troopers pulling over people for no reason or ticketing people for every little traffic infraction.

Mike

OHIOSCAN

This has been an argument between local authorities and the patrol at least as long as I've been in public safety (over 27 years and counting). It will only get settled when a court sets limits, or the General Assembly changes the law.

When I lived in Fl the Highway Patrol and local agencies did not play well with each other. FHP has pulled local & other state LE over for traffic violations.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.