Columbus Fire New Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I just heard the automated dispatching system on 10 FIRE dispatch "Medic 35". Last time I checked there were 34 stations. Did they add a new unit and/or station that I wasn't aware of?

tk000

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
New medic companies popped up around July 4th (I've heard Medic 35 - Medic 38). My guess is that they're additional units that can be dispatched during times of high run volume. Not sure where they're stationed or if they're in service every day.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
New medic companies popped up around July 4th (I've heard Medic 35 - Medic 38). My guess is that they're additional units that can be dispatched during times of high run volume. Not sure where they're stationed or if they're in service every day.

Interesting, this is the first time I've heard of that. Thank you.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

These are special duty medics, only as needed for events.

bryanuc

Do these replace the numbering of the 8## medics then that you normally see at events, or are they additional? Heard both 35 and 36 dispatched out during the storms, 36 was sent with E6, don't remember what part of town M35 was sent out.

tk000

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
I disagree that these are special duty. That was my initial thought since I first heard them on Jul 4; but I've since heard them dispatched on standard runs, from ill person to vehicle accidents, anywhere from downtown to Polaris Pkwy. Plus, I believe the special event medics are still numbered in the 800s, as bryanuc mentioned.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
As of last month, I've still heard special duty medics dispatched using the 8xx unit number series.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
That station hasn't even been built yet.

And straight from the horse's mouth, there are no Medics numbered that high and it must be something someone is doing that either isn't sanctioned by the alarm office, or perhaps it's a CAD testing thing.

All special duty/extra duty medics are numbered in the 8xx series.

Could you please explain how the runs are entered into the system, perhaps this will help.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Could you please explain how the runs are entered into the system, perhaps this will help.

Pretty simple really, calltaker enters location and nature and the CAD system does the rest, although dispatchers can make corrections to the assignment if absolutely necessary.

tk000

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
In case anyone else is interested - These medic companies (35 and higher) are additional units put in service as the need arises [straight from the PIO's office]

SFD_RS1_N_RS2

Premium Subscriber
These Medic Units are Peak Time vehicles staffed by an EMT and EMT-P.
They are staffed on a 12 hour basis. Medic 35 is ran out of Station 10 or 17 and Medic 38 is stationed at Station 6, Medics 36 & 37 are listed but only one in 2013 annual report with any runs is Medic 37.
In addition, Station 35 is set to be built on Waggonner Red to back up Station 5. Hoping will become a reg. 24 hr unit when station completed.

tk000

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
This is quite the thread resurrection.

Anyway... Columbus Fire has neither a Rescue 47 nor Medic 47.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I was hoping tk000 would chime in. I have been listening to CFD daily for over 15 years and have never heard, nor seen, any of the units mentioned in this thread.

If you see a piece of apparatus in the Columbus area check the dept name, as both Horton Rescue Vehicles and Sutphen have manufacturing plants here and it is not unusual to see this equipment in transit in the area.

SFD_RS1_N_RS2

Premium Subscriber
Hey W8RMH before you go say stuff doesn't exist in Columbus verify such because there are medics 35-38 and u can go to the OFFICAL Columbus Division of Fire website and down load the 2013 annual review also look in the online news papers in Columbus as I typed it in and looked it up in the report before I chimed in so they do exist one is at station 10 or 17 and the other is at station 6 you live in Columbus go to these stations between 10 am-2200 hundred and ask if pt medic units exist or just look it up ad both are on the annual report. Good night and have fun seeing these new rigs k

Status
Not open for further replies.