MARCS Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher40

Feed Provider
I just bought a Pro-96. I have two questions pertaining to coverage.

1st How far away should I be able to pickup a signal from a site..(I realize there are many variables, (but using the antenna that came with the scanner inside a residence in a rural area) is there an approximate distance?)

2nd With the MARCS system...will I be able to hear MEDFLIGHT (when they come on board) over near the Oh/IN Boarder or will that be on a different zone? Same with LifeFlight ect. Do they and other agencies have statewide coverage by default or do they only work within the zone that they are stationed in?

Thanks

Chris

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Depending on where you are located, you probably should have coverage within the same county a site is located. Beyond that, as you mentioned, there are so many variables involved that it would be hard to give you an answer.

The helicopters are like any other user on the system. If a radio with one of the helicopters is affiliated with your site, you will hear that service anywhere they are in the state. For example, I'm located in Allen County (Lima). Lima-Allen County Paramedics use the MARCS system and I can hear their traffic anywhere they go in the state and they go to Cleveland and Columbus frequently. Someone in Cleveland won't hear their traffic until one of their units afficliates with a Cleveland site. Then anyone monitoring their talkgroup will hear all the traffic. Once they leave Cleveland, they won't hear the traffic. The same thing is true with any of the helicopter services.

Mike

mmartinfan

Banned
OK I live @ Broad Street and I270 (Westside of Columbus) I can pick up several sites in my 2nd story home. Including:

Franklin --------Site0001
Delaware ------ Riverview Site07
Knox ------------Centerburg Site 011
Fairfield -------Lancaster Site 026
Pickaway ------Circleville Site 027
Pickaway ------Orient Site 031
Madison -------London Site 032
Licking ---------Saint Louisville Site 017

And those are with a stock antenna. Just sitting here and scrolling through the channels on a very rainy night here in CMH. Now those are from a Uniden 396.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.