RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Ohio Radio Discussion Forum

Ohio Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Ohio.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 8:40 AM

Default Franklin County rebanding / narrowbanding

Hi there! Does anyone know when the rebanding / narrowbanding will be complete for Franklin County? Trying to figure out how long I have to save up for a new scanner as mine are not upgradeable.

I'm new to the rebanding idea, so hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question...

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2012, 8:44 AM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsbmck View Post
Hi there! Does anyone know when the rebanding / narrowbanding will be complete for Franklin County? Trying to figure out how long I have to save up for a new scanner as mine are not upgradeable.

I'm new to the rebanding idea, so hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question...!
Rebanding and narrowbanding are two separate proceedings.

Narrowbanding only affects the 150-512 MHz frequencies and doesn't have much impact on Franklin County, not only because old scanners will continue to work post-narrowbanding but also because most government services use 800 MHz trunked systems.

On 800 Mhz rebanding, you have about six months or less. Start saving.

PS - You're going to need a digital scanner very soon. Really start saving.
www.wa8pyr.info
If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.

Last edited by wa8pyr; 12-04-2012 at 2:45 PM.. Reason: Added PS
Old 12-04-2012, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8pyr View Post
Rebanding and narrowbanding are two separate proceedings.

Narrowbanding only affects the 150-512 MHz frequencies and doesn't have much impact on Franklin County, not only because old scanners will continue to work post-narrowbanding but also because most government services use 800 MHz trunked systems.

On 800 Mhz rebanding, you have about six months or less. Start saving.

PS - You're going to need a digital scanner very soon. Really start saving.
You may want to wait on digital. I have a friend who works for the communications department. He said that digital will not be happening for a long time or may never be happening. He said there is no use to going to digital because the system still has some dead spots and is a fully built system. He also said why other cities are going digital is because they never have had a trunking system. So they decid to use digital trunking. it's a big waste of money he said because we already have two systems and they work fine. Digital is miles in the future. Why pay for different audio.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaman View Post
You may want to wait on digital. I have a friend who works for the communications department. He said that digital will not be happening for a long time or may never be happening. He said there is no use to going to digital because the system still has some dead spots and is a fully built system. He also said why other cities are going digital is because they never have had a trunking system. So they decid to use digital trunking. it's a big waste of money he said because we already have two systems and they work fine. Digital is miles in the future. Why pay for different audio.
Without a digital scanner in Franklin County you will not be able to monitor Bexley, Whitehall, DSCC, Gahanna, and New Albany, who are all on the digital MARCS system along with most state agencies. Dublin, Worthington, and Delaware County are also on their own digital system.

Franklin County, Columbus, Grove City, and The Ohio State University are planning their own digital system which will replace the three older analog systems currently in use. (gtaman I believe your friend is referring to MARCS which doesn't have the capacity for these larger agencies).

City examines future of dispatch radio system | ThisWeek Community News

Last edited by W8RMH; 12-04-2012 at 11:00 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
Without a digital scanner in Franklin County you will not be able to monitor Bexley, Whitehall, DSCC, Gahanna, and New Albany, who are all on the digital MARCS system along with most state agencies. Dublin, Worthington, and Delaware County are also on their own digital system.

Franklin County, Columbus, Grove City, and The Ohio State University are planning their own digital system which will replace the three older analog systems currently in use. (gtaman I believe your friend is referring to MARCS which doesn't have the capacity for these larger agencies).

City examines future of dispatch radio system | ThisWeek Community News

I asked him about this just today. He said it was a proposed system. They said its possible to happen but not likely. He also said the system will be analog still due to the fact that Columbus fire does not want digital due to thier already radio problems in buildings and digital garble may make it worse. It could possibly a mixed system he said with analog and digital. Some things also may be encrypted. Also he stated this is a proposed system. As of right now nothing has been done to start it.
Old 12-07-2012, 8:30 AM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I asked him about this just today. He said it was a proposed system. They said its possible to happen but not likely. He also said the system will be analog still due to the fact that Columbus fire does not want digital due to thier already radio problems in buildings and digital garble may make it worse. It could possibly a mixed system he said with analog and digital. Some things also may be encrypted. Also he stated this is a proposed system. As of right now nothing has been done to start it.
Your friend is ill informed. Trust me on this.

The existing systems are 20 years old. They're outdated, obsolete, and repair/replacement parts are becoming harder to get. There are no standards-based analog trunking systems, and no manufacturers are even making analog available except as a special (read: more expensive) order.

Remember, all systems begin with a proposal. Got to have that, get approval, and sign a contract before construction can begin.

And the new system will most definitely not be mixed analog/digital. P25 systems don't even offer the capability to use analog talkgroups.

Believe me, I know what I'm taking about here. It's my job.
www.wa8pyr.info
If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.

Last edited by wa8pyr; 12-07-2012 at 8:39 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8pyr View Post
Your friend is ill informed. Trust me on this.

The existing systems are 20 years old. They're outdated, obsolete, and repair/replacement parts are becoming harder to get. There are no standards-based analog trunking systems, and no manufacturers are even making analog available except as a special (read: more expensive) order.

Remember, all systems begin with a proposal. Got to have that, get approval, and sign a contract before construction can begin.

And the new system will most definitely not be mixed analog/digital. P25 systems don't even offer the capability to use analog talkgroups.

Believe me, I know what I'm taking about here. It's my job.
I don't believe he is ill informed. He's worked for the state/county communications management since the early 90s when the system was first put in. As he stated it is a proposal. But he did say it may be built like the MARCS system. He said they are basing it off Marc's and Michigans MSPCS. Which can do dual systems. He said it will not be a p25 system. Due to the county's budget.
Old 12-07-2012, 1:54 PM

Quote:
I don't believe he is ill informed. He's worked for the state/county communications management since the early 90s when the system was first put in. As he stated it is a proposal. But he did say it may be built like the MARCS system. He said they are basing it off Marc's and Michigans MSPCS. Which can do dual systems. He said it will not be a p25 system. Due to the county's budget.
Either you or your friend is ill informed.

MPSCS is not a mixed digital / analog system, it's a true P25 system. MARCS is in the beginning stages of switching to a P25 system. So I highly doubt if Franklin County was going to upgrade their system it would be anything other than a P25 system.
Old 12-07-2012, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpd845 View Post
Either you or your friend is ill informed.

MPSCS is not a mixed digital / analog system, it's a true P25 system. MARCS is in the beginning stages of switching to a P25 system. So I highly doubt if Franklin County was going to upgrade their system it would be anything other than a P25 system.
Neither of us is ill informed. A proposed system is a proposed system thier are many current predictions on what the system will be. He says they still haven't decided its a very long process. It all depends on the budget and what we can get. We have to stick with the system right now and slowly improve and upgrade it. Neither of anything that is proposed is final. It could go both ways. Or not happen at all. We have to go with what we have. We don't need the latest system but something that is very reliable. They county does not want to have what happend with DESERT SKY in Las Vegas.