Austintown/Boardman joint P25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atown11

Premium Subscriber
I noticed yesterday a new control channel on 856.6125. It's a P25 cc, and the system ID is 48A. So far, no traffic yet as all township ops are still on the analog system. When I get more info like talkgroups I'll post it.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I noticed yesterday a new control channel on 856.6125. It's a P25 cc, and the system ID is 48A. So far, no traffic yet as all township ops are still on the analog system. When I get more info like talkgroups I'll post it.

Thank you for finding this new radio system. I have entered it into the database. Do you know if this will be a two-site Smart-Zone system, or will they simulcast off both tower sites in Austintown and Boardman? If you can, please provide the WACN, and whether or not this system is using P25 Phase II technology at the present time.

Austintown/Boardman Joint Public Safety Radio System Trunking System, Austintown, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

Last edited:

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
The Boardman Twp Administrator told me a while back that they would be sharing the 800MHz frequencies for Austintown Twp for their joint system. I noticed tonight that Austintown and Boardman now show up under the following frequencies for callsign WNPK739...

I would keep an eye for those other freqs on the new system. I'm going to put them in my radios and listen as well.

(None of these except for 856.6125 by Thunderbolt have been confirmed for this system)

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
New radio dispatch system for Boardman & Austintown debuts this week
By Michelle Nicks, Reporter - WFMJ TV21 Web Site on 1/29/2013
New radio dispatch system for Boardman & Austintown debuts this - 21 News Now, More Local News for Youngstown, Ohio -

BOARDMAN, Ohio -- By Wednesday, a new, upgraded joint radio-dispatch system is expected to be up and running in Boardman and Austintown.

Several grants and money Boardman Police Officers seized during crime-fighting efforts are helping fund the major upgrade to radio dispatch systems in Boardman and Austintown.

The project comes at a cost of approximately $1.5-million, but is expected to go a long way towards increasing efficiency and cutting costs for years to come.

Boardman Police Chief Jack Nichols says, "Going down the road all the costs will be split. Their maintenance costs will be half, our maintenance costs will be half, and should somebody else decide to come in -- then of course that savings will be cut down even further."

Equipment that is more than 20 years old, that could not be updated as required by federal standards, will now be replaced with new state of the art equipment.

Both communities dispatch centers will be switched over to a computerized, all digital system. The townships, with the blessings from both Boards of Trustees, began collaborating on upgrading their systems two years ago.

Chief Nichols says, "It's a real benefit for handling emergencies, or God forbid we have some type of tragedy. It will facilitate communication of everybody involved in an emergency. The system, the way it's built right now has the ability to handle about 450 different units, that's hand-held radios or mobile radios installed in the cars. ... And then it's a very simple process to upgrade it to higher capacities than that. It will be a real benefit to both communities."

The abililty to be a good neighbor and allow other communities to join in on the system if needed is something that was extremely important to trustees in both Boardman and Austintown, Chief Nichols says.

Different departments or agencies will now be able to communicate through what's called patching abilities if there's a major emergency or crisis, "For example if the Boardman Fire Department needs to speak directly to the St. Elizabeth Hospital Police Department through the dispatch center, we can make the connection, even though neither of those agencies is on the 800 radio band," Nichols says.

... And Boardman's Police Chief says another benefit is that former dead-zones that made it impossible for officers to communicate under the old system, now have crystal clear reception. Something critical when it comes to safety.

Mill Creek MetroParks Police will also be part of the new system, that promises increased efficiency when it comes to public safety, and a shared cost that will help everybody's bottom line.

Schmetzy13

I have the frequencies in my BCD396xt and APD is running on the system currently... Their TGID is 1500

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Confirming some type of radio traffic on talkgroup 1500 tonight about 5:45pm this evening as well. They referenced an address in Austintown..

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
SID for the system is 048Ah-0101

Traffic again on TG1500. Definitely APD. I'm not hearing units dispatched on this TG. Just car to dispatch traffic requesting another unit with a camera.

Scratch that, heard dispatch on TG1500

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:

spiderguy41

Works now

Got it I had the system at 800 not p25 working now. The head dispather at APD told me they would be using all the same frequencies hopefully by tomorrow as of today only 856.6125

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Good info spiderguy41 about the other frequencies. I just logged the dispatch traffic on TG1500 Frequency 857.6125 as well.

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Hahaha! Yes I'm part of THAT Ricker family :) I'm not currently a FF but I blame my family for my interest in firefighting.

Last edited:

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Here is the latest talkgroup hits for this system as of noon on 1/31/2013.

1500 has been identified as APD Dispatch
1501 has been identified as APD Channel 2 Tac

Some traffic overnight on both TG1840 and TG5501.
Other hits on TG1010, TG1502, TG1504, and TG5500

Last edited:

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
From the Austintown Neighbors, a local Vindicator publication...
Austintown Neighbors - Austintown Community News, Sports and Local Information - Townships get new radio-dispatch system

Townships get new radio-dispatch system
Monday, January 28, 2013
By Ashley Luthern (aluthern@vindy.com)

BOARDMAN

A new joint radio-dispatch system for Boardman and Austintown should be up and running this week.

It’s been two years since the townships first discussed collaborating to update their equipment, to comply with a federal mandate that all public-safety land-mobile-radio systems be narrowbanded by Jan. 1.

“We should get cut over to the new system [today], and we will be operating fully on one console. Boardman will be getting its radios programmed this week,” said Frank Yacucci, Austintown’s dispatcher supervisor.

The townships shared the cost of a $1.5 million Motorola radio system that’s digital instead of analog. Austintown and Boardman formed a council of governments, which owns the radio system.

The radio system connects emergency dispatchers with portable and car radios used by police, fire and road employees.

The council met for the first time last week. Its four person board is Austintown Police Chief Bob Gavalier, Austintown Administrator Michael Dockry, Boardman Police Chief Jack Nichols and Boardman Administrator Jason Loree.

Gavalier was voted board chairman, Nichols as vice-chairman and Loree as secretary. The council agreed to meet at 2:30 p.m. the first Wednesday of every month beginning March 6.

Yacucci said the radio system was tested throughout Austintown, and locations that were “dead spots” under the old system now have clear reception. Nichols said the system provides better coverage through Boardman, too.

The project moved slower than originally predicted, partially because Motorola and other companies involved with the transition were busier than usual as everyone was trying to meet the federally mandated 2013 deadline, Nichols said.

The radio system has a one-year warranty, and the council is determining which maintenance agreement to purchase. The highest cost would be $40,000 for an agreement that includes Motorola monitoring the radios for problems, but several less-expensive options are available, officials said.

The council has in its rules that Boardman and Austintown will split maintenance costs, Gavalier said.

“Anyone who comes on the system will be asked to help us pay for maintenance and upgrades,” he said.

The radio system is designed for other entities to join easily. The Mill Creek MetroParks Police Department, for example, is interested in using the radio system, Nichols said.

Status
Not open for further replies.