Seeking info on Franklin Co. rebanding:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick1959

Premium Subscriber
Looked for an existing thread on this topic but couldn't locate one. Looking for current infomation on Franklin County Public Safety Rebanding. I.e., transition as I understand is in progress, estimated completion date? I did find an archived thread where there was somewhat of a "heated" debate over exactly what the final product would be, I.e fully digital, partial digital ( which I did not think was possible) etc....Lastly given what we know now, specifically what scanners are recommended for monitoring the rebanded system; with an emphasis on Radioshack branded equipment or Uniden scanners sold at RadioShack stores or on thier web sites.
Thanks all for your replies.
Rick

gtaman

Looked for an existing thread on this topic but couldn't locate one. Looking for current infomation on Franklin County Public Safety Rebanding. I.e., transition as I understand is in progress, estimated completion date? I did find an archived thread where there was somewhat of a "heated" debate over exactly what the final product would be, I.e fully digital, partial digital ( which I did not think was possible) etc....Lastly given what we know now, specifically what scanners are recommended for monitoring the rebanded system; with an emphasis on Radioshack branded equipment or Uniden scanners sold at RadioShack stores or on thier web sites.
Thanks all for your replies.
Rick

Rebanding Is currently in progress. Radios are being programmed now. It should all be done by march if everything goes planned. But it also could be earlier or even later. Any scanner that can do rebanding will work. Here's a link to comparable scanners.

Radio Shack Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

jmsbmck

Rick - I had the same question a few weeks ago but nobody could provide a definite answer.

Since then, the best facts I could find showed that Columbus was granted an extension to reband until 4/15/13.

I was unable to find any details/extension on Franklin County, but I would bet they are similar to Cbus.

This means that it looks like older scanners are looking at the last 90 days (MAX) of usefulness.

Fortunately, Radio Shack is having a sale (this week only) on several scanners that will work in central Ohio. You can get out the door with a $200 analog trunking scanner that will work around here for several years.

Good luck!

Jim

Rick1959

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the responses guys. Still a bit confused; wouldn’t Franklin County want a system compatible with the State digital system? I guess that’s what I am trying to determine. If that is the case, we would be throwing away money buying analogue scanners….Also you are correct on the RadioShack Scanners; the pocket-handheld Pro 97 (looks like a mp3 player) is priced at just over $100.00 bucks this month. Spec sheet stated it can be rebanded. Desk Top scanners are on sale as well.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No the PRO-97 CANNOT be rebanded (nor can its brother, the PRO-2055) - however, if all the talkgroups are analog in nature, and all the system frequencies have a '5' in the 4th decimal position, the scanner will still work after rebanding (with a bit of reprogramming)

HTH...Mike

Last edited:

gtaman

Thanks for the responses guys. Still a bit confused; wouldn’t Franklin County want a system compatible with the State digital system? I guess that’s what I am trying to determine. If that is the case, we would be throwing away money buying analogue scanners….Also you are correct on the RadioShack Scanners; the pocket-handheld Pro 97 (looks like a mp3 player) is priced at just over $100.00 bucks this month. Spec sheet stated it can be rebanded. Desk Top scanners are on sale as well.

The ohio Marc's system as powerful as it is is out dated. It's in the process of switching over to a 700mhz motorola TDMA trunked system that only can be moniterd by a PSR 800.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Thanks for the responses guys. Still a bit confused; wouldn’t Franklin County want a system compatible with the State digital system? I guess that’s what I am trying to determine. If that is the case, we would be throwing away money buying analogue scanners.

Handy hint if you're in Franklin County: don't buy an analog-only scanner.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The ohio Marc's system as powerful as it is is out dated. It's in the process of switching over to a 700mhz motorola TDMA trunked system that only can be moniterd by a PSR 800.

MARCS-IP is TDMA capable, but is not using TDMA at this time; as such, any P25 trunking capable scanner will work.

gtaman

If your low on funds and you only can afford an analog scanner then got one at good price. If you can get a digital scanner then get one. Currently during rebanding the county is once again talking with moto techs. They may be looking into an ip 700mhz like the new ohio Marc's system. I personally don't own a digital scanner at the time I will be getting one soon. But I do own two moto xts5000s that do p25 and are currently affiliated with the system to monitor police and fire. They each have thief own unique IDs on the system for monitering.

Rick1959

Premium Subscriber
No the PRO-97 CANNOT be rebanded (nor can its brother, the PRO-2055) - however, if all the talkgroups are analog in nature, and all the system frequencies have a '5' in the 4th decimal position, the scanner will still work after rebanding (with a bit of reprogramming)

HTH...Mike

Thanks for the heads up, was going on what was stated on the product spec sheet at Radioshack.com
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.