RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Ohio Radio Discussion Forum

Ohio Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Ohio.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 8:05 AM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Threads merged

All,

The Lakewood Ohio and Lakewood MARCS-IP threads have been merged. The same questions were being asked in both places.

If there is already an existing thread for a locality or subject, please remember to post questions in the existing thread rather than creating a new one. This helps everyone by keeping subject matter grouped together.
www.wa8pyr.info
If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2013, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLaidman View Post
....I found TG13570 for PD and 59685 for FD on this site and manually entered them. ....
Those are two of the correct TGs for Lakewood. It really doesn't matter so much where you are located in regards to the actual city of Lakewood. You will be receiving the TGs from the site (if they are affiliated with it) that you receive the system on. The RRDB is correct. I'm in Summit county and receive Lakewood just fine on a 996XT with a desktop antenna.
Old 04-25-2013, 9:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagley View Post
I recently purchased the GRE PSR 800 with the thought of listening to my local police and fire.
After 5 days of trying to get a clean signal I resort to the experts here.
Here's the scoop...
I've tried an amplified antenna 30 feet in the air, a discone in the attic, and traveling around the city using a Spectra mobile mount.
I can recieve Lakewood (and all other MARCS-IP transmitions) fine if I am out of the city but once within city limits the signal is either non existant or a garbled mess.
After reading the forum I understand the simulcast issue, being in the middle of 2 towers and getting both simulcast transmitions and the scanner not being able to listen to one.
This was confirmed with our fire marshal who seemed to be aware of the scanners having a hard time recieving the signal.
I have mounted a Yagi 700-1200 directional antenna about 25 feet off the ground.
I think I have the tower locations correct, (Justice Center and Hopkins Airport) with this setup the signal is better but still mostly garbled.
Can someone confirm the tower locations?
Is anyone having this issue in Lakewood? Or recieving the signals without issue?
What else can I do timprove my sisuation?
Thanks for any help.
Craig
Craig,

I don't have a quick fix. But I can tell you what worked (the best, not perfect) for me. I purchased an inexpensive directional indoor antenna that sits next to my radio. Then I just experimented pointing it in various directions, noting where I heard improvement (best reception).

The final outcome wasn't what I would have guessed. I have found 3 different directions that work the most often depending on conditions. Most of the time the one direction that works the best is where my antenna is pointed in a direction where there are no MARCS-IP towers. The direction should be a dead zone, but hearing is believing.

Good luck, hopefully can find a setup that gives you usable solution.

FYI: regarding the Hopkins and Justice Center towers, both you a Swipesy are correct. The Hopkins tower address is Riverside and the Justice Center is West 3rd. All of the Cuyahoga County MARCS Moto Type II sites also host the new MARCS-IP system.
Old 04-26-2013, 4:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wanted to give a follow-up and thank you for the responses.
I drove around Lakewood and reception was hit and miss with the Spectra, seems I had to go about a mile in any direction to get better coms.
At the house, ended up with a mast mounted Yagi 700-1200mhz directional antenna.
I'm at about 70% readable on the MARCS-IP simulcast, with suprising results on VHF/UHF.
Right now I'm pointed at the Columbia & 252 tower with thoughts of raising the height and going for the JC tower thinking its more line of sight with the way the shore line is from here.
I never thought making the jump from analog was going to be so difficult.
It took years to bring the wife around to listening to the scanner the only thing she complained about was the fire/rescue tone out. I know this digital garble will never fly.
;-)
Regards
Craig
Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 PM

Craig
have you tried just using the stock antenna with the 800? I find that when I'm driving in my truck (the only time I have the 2 side by side) and my PRO-2096 with a RS mag mount on the roof is totaly garbled, my PSR-800 with the stock antenna is nice and clear. It is also clear around the house most times, although it will get garbled at times depending on where I'm at.
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2013, 9:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Sportster, I tried the stock antenna, 800mhz duck, Spectra, Discone, 700mhz Yagi.
So that we are clear most of the time I wont even get a signal. Sometimes I will hear the alert but nothing comes through.
When I do here coms its about 50 / 50 as to being readable or garble.
That goes for the full MARCS-IP not just Lkwd.
I went to the camper today and wouldn't ya know it same issue...(RT 322 & 608 Geauga Co)
You have the PSR-800 - question, would updating the firmware to 1.8 have anything to do with the poor reception?
On the 'Trunk Radio Systems' tab lower left 'Data Decode Threshholds' (low 88 high 95) I see no refrence to this in the help files what are they for?
Thanks for the sugestion...I don't want to give up but my disapointment is growing.
Craig
Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 PM

I have the firmware update installed , so I don't think that would be the problem. I have my threshholds set @ 80 & 95.

I have noticed that lately I have been getting a lot of reception from the Nimisila tower (Summitt county) even though I live in Downtown Willoughby with the stock rubber duck, and those receptions are almost 99% clear and understandable. You may need to turn off a couple of the local towers altogether and see if that helps.
Old 04-28-2013, 4:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportster77 View Post
I have the firmware update installed , so I don't think that would be the problem. I have my threshholds set @ 80 & 95.

I have noticed that lately I have been getting a lot of reception from the Nimisila tower (Summitt county) even though I live in Downtown Willoughby with the stock rubber duck, and those receptions are almost 99% clear and understandable. You may need to turn off a couple of the local towers altogether and see if that helps.
Sportster77,

Lakewood is on the (new) MARCS-IP Cuyahoga County P25 Simulcast system. You must be monitoring the (old) MARCS Moto Type II system.

Old MARCS Moto Type II system, each tower has it's own unique set of frequency's, for control and voice. You can identify a tower by it's control and voice channels (freq's).

New MARCS-IP P25 Simulcast system, all of the towers for each county use the same control and voice channels (freq's). You can't selectively monitor by tower or lock out a tower for the county system.
Old 04-28-2013, 6:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have spent half my day trying to get my Hp's working the best they can on Cuy-P25. Not complaining I enjoy the challenge. I understand that the GRE scanners work better on this system and I'm getting plenty of traffic but it is spontaneous especially in Lakewood I have 2 HP's same firmware same updates same antenna's but when I line them up back to back they will for the most part not sync up. On the analog stuff no problem same with the Cleve-IP. I have read in earlier posts about tower conflictions. I’m in the middle of 3 towers. Can I avoid certain towers on this systems like I do with the Ohio Marcs system. I would only do this with my home unit.
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budevans View Post
Sportster77,

Lakewood is on the (new) MARCS-IP Cuyahoga County P25 Simulcast system. You must be monitoring the (old) MARCS Moto Type II system.

Old MARCS Moto Type II system, each tower has it's own unique set of frequency's, for control and voice. You can identify a tower by it's control and voice channels (freq's).

Budevans,

According to the RRDB, Nimisila is Site #18 in the Marcs IP system with a control freq of 774.33125 and an alt freq of 774.74375. I have picked up both Willoughby Hills and Solon from that site on numerous occaisions with my PSR-800 showing the system name and site location on line 4 of the display. When I go thru the EZ Scan software, I can turn on and off within a system which tower sites the scanner will look for .
And my point of bringing it up was that it appears Snagley is having trouble with discriminating the local siganals and that aiming for a more distant site may allow for proper decoding of the signal
Old 04-29-2013, 2:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportster77 View Post
Budevans,

According to the RRDB, Nimisila is Site #18 in the Marcs IP system with a control freq of 774.33125 and an alt freq of 774.74375. I have picked up both Willoughby Hills and Solon from that site on numerous occaisions with my PSR-800 showing the system name and site location on line 4 of the display. When I go thru the EZ Scan software, I can turn on and off within a system which tower sites the scanner will look for .
And my point of bringing it up was that it appears Snagley is having trouble with discriminating the local siganals and that aiming for a more distant site may allow for proper decoding of the signal
Sportster77,

Thanks for clarifying. So you are hearing Cuyahoga County MARCS-IP P25 traffic coming from the Summit County MARCS-IP P25 system.

Your suggestion to Snagley is to try the following:

1. Create a new TSYS (trunk system) in his scanner setup up for the Summit County MARCS-IP (control freq of 774.33125 and an alt freq of 774.74375).

2. Point his Yagi antenna towards the Nimisal tower. He could also just try his rubber duckie to see if it receives Nimisal, before repointing the Yagi.

3. Turn off the MARCS-IP Cuyahoga System scanlist (since it's too garbled to listen too).

If he can't receive Summit, he might want to try the Lake County Wickliffe site or the Elyria Lorain site.

Just curious is anyone hearing any Cuyahoga traffic (specifically Lakewood) being rebroadcast on the Elyria Lorain site?.
Old 04-29-2013, 7:55 PM

Yes that would be about right but since he has a PSR-800 he would not neccessarily have to create a new TSYS, he could just open EZ Scan and under the Trunked Systems tab L/O the local tower sites and unlock some of the others. Fairly easy to experiment.
I pick up the Lakewood on my PRO-2096 all the time in the truck (permanetly mounted) using the Lake County Simulcast frequencies and a RS Mag mount antenna. I do not have Lakewood TG enabled on my 800.
Old 05-27-2013, 7:07 PM

Default 396xt

Im picking up lakewood but am having same issues I have the 396xt kleidmen of you could send a email to me at gheinz1986@gmail.com hve a few ?
Old 05-27-2013, 7:16 PM

Default 396xt

Im picking up lakewood but am having same issues I have the 396xt kleidmen of you could send a email to me at gheinz1986@gmail.com hve a few ?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 774.53125 is the control channel

You need to understand a couple of things.
Here are the channels for the Cuyahoga simulcast system.

769.50625 769.75625 770.00625 770.15625
770.50625 770.78125 771.23125 771.60625
771.95625 772.65625 772.98125 773.29375
773.83125a 774.28125a 774.53125c 774.78125a

You CAN NOT block a single tower, because they all broadcast on the same frequency(s)

With using gain antennas, you are causing your own problems,
try a low gain directional antenna.
( something with a high front to back ratio)

The Cuyahoga sites are , in no real order ( 13 sites )
194 PEARL ROAD,(Strongsville)
5300 RIVERSIDE DR (airport)
NT BLACK & BOSTON MILLS (Brecksville , near 77 and the turnpike)
770 SOM CENTER ROAD ( Mayfield)
30825 EUCLID AVENUE (Wickliffe)
8032A Mayfield Road (Chesterland)
4307 Green Road (Harvard and Green)
1215 W 3RD ST (Downtown)
I-90 & COLUMBIA RD INTERCHANGE
TOWPATH SERVICE PLAZA OHIO TPK
.3 MI S RIDGEWOOD DR .55 MI W 176
7560 CHAGRIN RD (Chagrin Falls)
STEARNS ROAD ( North Olmsted)

Thought this might interest some of you, if you didn't
know where all the sites are

Both the Lake county and Cuyahoga county systems are on the Wickliffe tower.

Good luck

Don
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2014, 8:07 PM

Hi all,

I'm also having some severe reception issues in Lakewood with the HP1. It is very frustrating to say the least. I even went out and bought a Diamond SRH789 antenna, which did nothing to help Lakewood reception. For anyone that's familiar with the area, I found that I can receive Lakewood PD clear as a bell if I am:

1. West of McKinley Avenue here in Lakewood.
2. South of Lorain Avenue in Cleveland.
3. East of West Blvd. in Cleveland.

I am not even able to get a signal sitting outside of City Hall. I get one flashing bar of reception at best. I have tried the following solutions:

1. Avoiding all other tower sites besides Cuyahoga County Simulcast and instead opting for the Lake County Simulcast (no avail).
2. Directing the antenna to the north (where there are no MARCS-IP towers, no avail).
3. Placing the radio next to a window to possibly improve reception (no avail).
4. Updated firmware (no avail).
5. Updated database (no avail).
6. I made sure that the SRH789 antenna was adjusted to the correct height for the frequency (no avail).
7. Tried moving the antenna to various positions around the house (no avail).

For what it's worth, I am in north central Lakewood, near the Lake Avenue area. Does anyone have any other solutions? I am also interested in listening to Cleveland Police, which I cannot receive either. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-20-2014, 9:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am in the Warren & Clifton area and have the same simulcast issues.
Went digital about a year ago with the PSR800. Unboxed it at my brothers house up in Cleveland and thought YEA I can listen to Lakewood again, go home and nuthin...
I have aquired a HP1 hoping for better reception NOT...
I use a 740-806, 9dBd, Larsen Yagi Base Antenna with LMR-400 Coax Cable and have tried full 360' sweep no luck on both radios.
I am told that being in the middle of 3 towers (Justice Center, I90 & Columbia and Hopkins Airport) is the issue. I would think that I would at least get digital garble but I get nothin.
Sometimes in certain weather I will get some coms but nothing that lasts.
On the PSR800 it shows what tower its receiving and when I do hear lakewood most of the time it will be on Nimisila Summit County system.
phhatcat I wouldn't mind meeting at Lkwd Pk to compare notes and thoughts.
Cheers
Craig
Old 05-20-2014, 10:25 PM

You probably need less antenna rather than more. Also try turning on the attenuator.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default less antenna

My suggestion to both of you, LESS antenna.
See what happens with the stock antennas.
I have a PSR 800, I'm half way between the Wickliffe Marcs-IP site
and the Chardon road Cleveland Site, copy both with the stock
rubber Dukie, about two miles form either site.
If you are trying mobile, lots of luck!
Try parking at a known site, remove the antenna, if you don't hear anything,
try a paper clip, then try the stock antenna.

Don
Old 05-21-2014, 8:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Don, Ed thanks for the suggestions. Been there done that...5 duckie's, paperclip...
I find that if I travel outside of this 'dead zone' I pick up Lakewood just fine.

Craig