City of Columbus rebanding in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Rebanding of the Columbus system (currently used by most public safety in Franklin County) is underway this week.

bear16

Premium Subscriber
Rebanding of the Columbus system (currently used by most public safety in Franklin County) is underway this week.
Tom,
Being new to this, and just purchasing a PSR-500, once the rebanding is done, will they be placed on RR for downloading?

tk000

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
Whitehall FD doesn't have their own dedicated frequencies or talkgroups. They're dispatched by MECC.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
Please excuse my ignorance... Is Franklin County /Columbus done Rebanding now?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
They are still in the process. I still see the 866 and 868 MHz frequencies being used as well as the 851s. Also my scanner seems to be tracking normally and I am not using the new tables. I have been hearing testing on the fireground channels.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Will the custom tables be needed? I see some strange flickering in the display, sort of like a priority check. Since 858.01250 was added to the DB as a CC I have not seen it used as a CC.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I tested 2 identical Uniden scanners side by side, 1 with the rebanded table and one without. The one with the rebanded table would not track, occasionally locked onto the CC, and basically freaked out. So, apparently nothing needs to be done to the Uniden scanners to scan the rebanded system.

SCPD

QRT
I tested 2 identical Uniden scanners side by side, 1 with the rebanded table and one without. The one with the rebanded table would not track, occasionally locked onto the CC, and basically freaked out. So, apparently nothing needs to be done to the Uniden scanners to scan the rebanded system.

Here's what UPMan says about that. I found it to be true in my area. Don't know about Columbus.

Larry: Did you set the band plan for rebanding? (Not sure how you do that on GRE's scanners, but it is a necessity for tracking a rebanded system.)

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Hogwash. I'm calling foul on that.

With the exception of the HP-1 (which I think, as long as you update it with current data from Sentinel and update your favorites using Sentinel, requires no manual intervention with bandplans), all other scanners must (a) support rebanding, (b) likely be updated with latest firmware updates just to ensure they support rebanding and (c) have their bandplan changed to a custom one. How those bandplans are to be changed is different depending upon the scanner and the programming software.

If you want to listen to MARCS and guarantee that your scanner tracks properly, this is an absolute requirement. Anything less won't do.

Sentinel is smart enough to set everything appropriately in the HP-1 as long as the trunked site [in the RRDB] is properly flagged as a rebanded site. Any other programming software that I'm aware of [for Unidens / GRE guts] require one to specifically go into the programming software and perform one or more clicks (or in some cases manually type in the new bandplan) to set up the proper bandplan for every rebanded site.

Mike

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Yes, you do need to use a rebanded table with the Columbus system. Several of the new frequencies are splinter channels, which cannot be properly tracked unless you use the rebanded tables.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
That's what I thought, but like I said the scanner with the reband table was missing transmissions. If some one else could test this and see if they have the same results it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike, I programmed the reband tables for all my MARCS systems and they all work great, but this is the Columbus system I'm referring to. I'm not doubting you or Tom, you guys are the smartest scanner guys I know, I'm just stating what I have observed. Maybe the Columbus band plan is different than MARCS, I don't know. This is what I am trying to clarify.

Should this rebanded system be programmed as -

Mot Custom/Reband (Type II) or

Mot 800MHz Splinter (Type II)

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
That's what I thought, but like I said the scanner with the reband table was missing transmissions. If some one else could test this and see if they have the same results it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike, I programmed the reband tables for all my MARCS systems and they all work great, but this is the Columbus system I'm referring to. I'm not doubting you or Tom, you guys are the smartest scanner guys I know, I'm just stating what I have observed. Maybe the Columbus band plan is different than MARCS, I don't know. This is what I am trying to clarify.

Should this rebanded system be programmed as -

Mot Custom/Reband (Type II) or

Mot 800MHz Splinter (Type II)

I had no clue Columbus was being / had been rebanded til today. Every time anybody talked about Columbus, my mind kept thinking about the Columbus MARCS site. It wasn't until Tom set me straight that you all were talking about the Franklin County system that I realized my err . Sorry about that.

At any rate, I'm fairly certain you want the "Mot Custom/Reband (Type II).... not the Mot 800 Mhz Splinter. I had never heard of anybody using the latter for rebanded systems. Then again, what do I know rofl. But I'm pretty sure you want Custom/Reband.

Mike

sadman3

Premium Subscriber
i have a pro197 and 106 that i program by hand what would i need to do. and where would i fined that info. this is all new to me

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I had no clue Columbus was being / had been rebanded til today. Every time anybody talked about Columbus, my mind kept thinking about the Columbus MARCS site. It wasn't until Tom set me straight that you all were talking about the Franklin County system that I realized my err . Sorry about that.

At any rate, I'm fairly certain you want the "Mot Custom/Reband (Type II).... not the Mot 800 Mhz Splinter. I had never heard of anybody using the latter for rebanded systems. Then again, what do I know rofl. But I'm pretty sure you want Custom/Reband.

Mike

I tried both, on a BCT15X and a BCD396XT. Splinter would not work at all. The custom/reband was my first choice, like I use on MARCS, but the scanner was clearly missing transmissions when compared to the scanner without the custom plan. I even have a third scanner, a BCT15 which has not been changed in years that I use for my feed and it is receiving everything, including the new 851 and 853 frequencies with no problems.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT

Likewise.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Okay boys and girls I think I got this Shhhhstuff figured out.

First, this is for Uniden DMA scanners only.

You have to enter two sites (using CC Only) for each system programmed, one site Mot 800MHz Standard (Type II) AND one site Mot Custom/Reband Type II (with the System Band Plan) , not just one or the other. I assigned each site the same quick key so I am sure to scan both.

The first site will track everything except 853.4500 and 853.7750.

The second site, with the system band plan will track 853.4500 and 853.7750.

If I run just the one site with the band plan it misses some transmissions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.