RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Ohio Radio Discussion Forum

Ohio Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Ohio.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default City of Columbus rebanding in progress

Rebanding of the Columbus system (currently used by most public safety in Franklin County) is underway this week.
www.wa8pyr.info
If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8pyr View Post
Rebanding of the Columbus system (currently used by most public safety in Franklin County) is underway this week.
Tom,
Being new to this, and just purchasing a PSR-500, once the rebanding is done, will they be placed on RR for downloading?
Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear16 View Post
Tom,
Being new to this, and just purchasing a PSR-500, once the rebanding is done, will they be placed on RR for downloading?
It looks like the updated frequencies are already in the database, so yes, you should be able to download the new info.

See the frequency table at:
Franklin County Public Safety Trunking System, Columbus, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies
Old 09-19-2013, 4:21 PM

Anyone happen to know what Whitehall Fire is under? I don't see it on the lists...
Old 09-19-2013, 7:46 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Whitehall FD doesn't have their own dedicated frequencies or talkgroups. They're dispatched by MECC.
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Please excuse my ignorance... Is Franklin County /Columbus done Rebanding now?
Old 09-23-2013, 10:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

They are still in the process. I still see the 866 and 868 MHz frequencies being used as well as the 851s. Also my scanner seems to be tracking normally and I am not using the new tables. I have been hearing testing on the fireground channels.
Old 09-25-2013, 8:49 PM
Technischer Guru
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj76 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance... Is Franklin County /Columbus done Rebanding now?
Franklin County and Columbus are both complete.
www.wa8pyr.info
If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 09-25-2013, 9:42 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8pyr View Post
Franklin County and Columbus are both complete.
Cool. I'll leave that one for you to update since you'd have better info than I on the freqs.

Haven't heard hide nor hair status on any of the other sites that were in question.

Mike

Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2013, 10:31 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Will the custom tables be needed? I see some strange flickering in the display, sort of like a priority check. Since 858.01250 was added to the DB as a CC I have not seen it used as a CC.

Last edited by W8RMH; 09-25-2013 at 11:34 PM..
Old 09-26-2013, 7:08 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I tested 2 identical Uniden scanners side by side, 1 with the rebanded table and one without. The one with the rebanded table would not track, occasionally locked onto the CC, and basically freaked out. So, apparently nothing needs to be done to the Uniden scanners to scan the rebanded system.
Old 09-26-2013, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
I tested 2 identical Uniden scanners side by side, 1 with the rebanded table and one without. The one with the rebanded table would not track, occasionally locked onto the CC, and basically freaked out. So, apparently nothing needs to be done to the Uniden scanners to scan the rebanded system.
Here's what UPMan says about that. I found it to be true in my area. Don't know about Columbus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Larry: Did you set the band plan for rebanding? (Not sure how you do that on GRE's scanners, but it is a necessity for tracking a rebanded system.)
Old 09-26-2013, 10:31 AM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Hogwash. I'm calling foul on that.

With the exception of the HP-1 (which I think, as long as you update it with current data from Sentinel and update your favorites using Sentinel, requires no manual intervention with bandplans), all other scanners must (a) support rebanding, (b) likely be updated with latest firmware updates just to ensure they support rebanding and (c) have their bandplan changed to a custom one. How those bandplans are to be changed is different depending upon the scanner and the programming software.

If you want to listen to MARCS and guarantee that your scanner tracks properly, this is an absolute requirement. Anything less won't do.

Sentinel is smart enough to set everything appropriately in the HP-1 as long as the trunked site [in the RRDB] is properly flagged as a rebanded site. Any other programming software that I'm aware of [for Unidens / GRE guts] require one to specifically go into the programming software and perform one or more clicks (or in some cases manually type in the new bandplan) to set up the proper bandplan for every rebanded site.

Mike

Old 09-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Technischer Guru
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Yes, you do need to use a rebanded table with the Columbus system. Several of the new frequencies are splinter channels, which cannot be properly tracked unless you use the rebanded tables.
www.wa8pyr.info
Old 09-26-2013, 7:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That's what I thought, but like I said the scanner with the reband table was missing transmissions. If some one else could test this and see if they have the same results it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike, I programmed the reband tables for all my MARCS systems and they all work great, but this is the Columbus system I'm referring to. I'm not doubting you or Tom, you guys are the smartest scanner guys I know, I'm just stating what I have observed. Maybe the Columbus band plan is different than MARCS, I don't know. This is what I am trying to clarify.

Should this rebanded system be programmed as -

Mot Custom/Reband (Type II) or

Mot 800MHz Splinter (Type II)

Last edited by W8RMH; 09-26-2013 at 7:51 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2013, 9:12 PM
OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
That's what I thought, but like I said the scanner with the reband table was missing transmissions. If some one else could test this and see if they have the same results it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike, I programmed the reband tables for all my MARCS systems and they all work great, but this is the Columbus system I'm referring to. I'm not doubting you or Tom, you guys are the smartest scanner guys I know, I'm just stating what I have observed. Maybe the Columbus band plan is different than MARCS, I don't know. This is what I am trying to clarify.

Should this rebanded system be programmed as -

Mot Custom/Reband (Type II) or

Mot 800MHz Splinter (Type II)
I had no clue Columbus was being / had been rebanded til today. Every time anybody talked about Columbus, my mind kept thinking about the Columbus MARCS site. It wasn't until Tom set me straight that you all were talking about the Franklin County system that I realized my err . Sorry about that.

At any rate, I'm fairly certain you want the "Mot Custom/Reband (Type II).... not the Mot 800 Mhz Splinter. I had never heard of anybody using the latter for rebanded systems. Then again, what do I know rofl. But I'm pretty sure you want Custom/Reband.

Mike

Old 09-26-2013, 9:53 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

i have a pro197 and 106 that i program by hand what would i need to do. and where would i fined that info. this is all new to me
Old 09-26-2013, 10:35 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
I had no clue Columbus was being / had been rebanded til today. Every time anybody talked about Columbus, my mind kept thinking about the Columbus MARCS site. It wasn't until Tom set me straight that you all were talking about the Franklin County system that I realized my err . Sorry about that.

At any rate, I'm fairly certain you want the "Mot Custom/Reband (Type II).... not the Mot 800 Mhz Splinter. I had never heard of anybody using the latter for rebanded systems. Then again, what do I know rofl. But I'm pretty sure you want Custom/Reband.

Mike
I tried both, on a BCT15X and a BCD396XT. Splinter would not work at all. The custom/reband was my first choice, like I use on MARCS, but the scanner was clearly missing transmissions when compared to the scanner without the custom plan. I even have a third scanner, a BCT15 which has not been changed in years that I use for my feed and it is receiving everything, including the new 851 and 853 frequencies with no problems.

Last edited by W8RMH; 09-26-2013 at 10:37 PM..
Old 09-27-2013, 8:30 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
Likewise.
Old 09-27-2013, 5:03 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Okay boys and girls I think I got this Shhhhstuff figured out.

First, this is for Uniden DMA scanners only.

You have to enter two sites (using CC Only) for each system programmed, one site Mot 800MHz Standard (Type II) AND one site Mot Custom/Reband Type II (with the System Band Plan) , not just one or the other. I assigned each site the same quick key so I am sure to scan both.

The first site will track everything except 853.4500 and 853.7750.

The second site, with the system band plan will track 853.4500 and 853.7750.

If I run just the one site with the band plan it misses some transmissions.

Last edited by W8RMH; 09-27-2013 at 5:35 PM..