Confused with Uniden 396T and rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipper123

Could someone tell me what I have to do to get my Uniden 396T compatible for rebanding,I never had to do anything to it besides just putting in the local CC'S years ago when I got it.Now it won't pick up anything and I have a feeling I need to change it for this new crap they are doing.I have been reading articles on it but it still confusing to me,do I have to hook it to a computer and download firmware or just input different CC'S in it?

rhaasjr

You might need to update the firmware in your 396T for it to handle rebanded systems. The wiki article Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki will help with this.

At the end of that article there is a link to Software Support for Uniden Rebanding wiki article that is useful for setting up the custom table required for rebanded systems.

Of course you will also need the new frequencies from the RR database for your county.

Bucko

I don't have the 396T but I believe you need 3.00.00 version or up so you can enter the new trunking tables.

wtp

update

it was a bit of work but the last update was 3.02.02
seems its time to update some
after that there is some extra work for a rebanded system
you have to set a custom table for a rebanded system
also when you search you will not get to hear a new system until you make a new system and set the 800 custom tables (more on that after the update)
so get the updates or post if you need more help

skipper123

I will get the scanner updated to a newer version then maybe you guys can talk me through how to get them custom tables,this stuff is really confusing to me! I will reply back after I get the scanner updated and appreciate all the help fellows, because I sure need it LOL

wtp

ok then

i even had trouble getting the updates until i gave it all to my girl friend (it person from work) she got the updates to work and even with that it took time to see what the 800 custom tables were about. but once you do it it is easy. the gf used freescan for her 396xt and it was easy.
yep get back to us we will help.even if step by step.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just a note here - if you are a premium subscriber and download data from the database, the custom tables for rebanding will be set automatically if the flag in the database has been set. You will know this because there will be a message about rebanding on the form in the database entry. FreeScan is set up for this, and I imagine ProScan and ARC396T is as well

However to get it into the 396T, you MUST have version 3 firmware or better.

Mike

phask

Premium Subscriber
Could someone tell me what I have to do to get my Uniden 396T compatible for rebanding,I never had to do anything to it besides just putting in the local CC'S years ago when I got it.Now it won't pick up anything and I have a feeling I need to change it for this new crap they are doing.I have been reading articles on it but it still confusing to me,do I have to hook it to a computer and download firmware or just input different CC'S in it?

I just got my old one up and running also.

Need to be registered at Uniden to start, then add the tables and go - use Freescan.

It's worth it to have a premium RR account - they will set up the talkgroups, sites and rebanding tables.

skipper123

Once again thanks for all the help,it really helps to know I'm not alone in this daunting task

skipper123

Well I run into a snag already! While trying to install the esn loader to register my scanner I notice my computer cord won't even fit my laptop computer,now what do I do?

lep

Maybe, maybe not. What connector does your laptop have? You are not providing enough info. I have a 396T and I used a cable from one of my digital cameras and it works fine. Be more specific about what connectors you require. ScanerMaster is a fine company but their cables are a little on the expensive side and are not always required.

16b

Premium Subscriber
If your problem is that you have a serial cable but no serial port on your computer, just get a USB to serial adapter. I have an IOGEAR GUC232A, which is ~$23 on Amazon. Cheaper than the Uniden USB cable, and it can be used for other things. I own a 396T and I can confirm that this adapter works perfectly on a laptop running 64 bit Windows 7 and no serial port. There are cheaper USB to serial adapters out there that may work fine as well.

skipper123

Yep that's the problem I got! I got a Presario CQ62,think I'll try one of them adapters,thanks

16b

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you need a 9 pin serial adapter. The transfer rate is configurable in the scanner and software; it doesn't really matter which one you use as long as they are both set to the same thing. I use the fastest setting and it works fine.

unclescanner

Premium Subscriber
Bc396xt outdated firmware

I was given a radio that has firmware version 1.11.01 I plan on purchasing a new cable to update it. What is the newest firmware version? And could this possibly be why I am not receiving the correct talkgroup id's even though it's the correct dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.