Columbus rebanding and the Uniden BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drodd1

I have the Unden BCD996T and have listened to the Columbus Police and Fire for years. This rebanding has made it impossible to listen now. I had a premium account originally and just used some software to connect to the RadioReference database and it did all the programing. I don't have a premium account now.

Is there any easy way to access the scanner, either from the front panel or through software, change some settings, and be up and listening to the CPD again? I did update my firmware. I do have the USAD and ARC996 software. I've looked at the recommended articles and references on this site and at Uniden, but unfortunately they aren't helping that much.

Drodd1

Use FreeScan, add the new frequencies and the trunking tables and your good to go.

Software Support for Uniden Rebanding.

I had to upgrade Vista to SP2 and install the .NET framework and finally got the Freescan to work. The CC frequencies seem to be the same except for adding 858.01250. I added it. Then I set the SITE TYPE to Mot Custom/Reband Type II. Then I set the SYSTEM BAND PLAN to look like this:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/images/a/a1/FS_rebanding_v.8.JPG

I uploaded the changes back to my scanner. No luck! It's not working. What else do I need to do or am I totally lost? Thanks for any advice.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As mentioned earlier, you need to have updated firmware for rebanding changes to work. Unfortunately the process is something of a PITA, but it's necessary.

You can find all the necessary steps including how to check your firmware, along with the links for the Uniden TWiki, by radio model, here (note that both here and in the wiki, all links are always blue)

Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

HTH...Mike

Drodd1

As mentioned earlier, you need to have updated firmware for rebanding changes to work. Unfortunately the process is something of a PITA, but it's necessary.

You can find all the necessary steps including how to check your firmware, along with the links for the Uniden TWiki, by radio model, here (note that both here and in the wiki, all links are always blue)

Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

HTH...Mike

As I mentioned, the firmware was updated last night. I made the changes to my scanner programming earlier today, but that didn't seem to work. I just left my scanner on and went about my business. Just a few minutes ago my scanner started working! Weird!

I seem to be getting all the right chatter in the right places, but I did see a post on another thread about the Columbus rebanding that concerned me. Someone mentioned that they were "missing" some of the broadcasts. I didn't understand what they meant. Is it possible that I'm "Missing" some of the police and fire broadcasts? How would I know.? Thanks again for all the help! Right now money is tight and I didn't really want to sign up for another premium subscription.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
As I mentioned, the firmware was updated last night. I made the changes to my scanner programming earlier today, but that didn't seem to work. I just left my scanner on and went about my business. Just a few minutes ago my scanner started working! Weird!

I seem to be getting all the right chatter in the right places, but I did see a post on another thread about the Columbus rebanding that concerned me. Someone mentioned that they were "missing" some of the broadcasts. I didn't understand what they meant. Is it possible that I'm "Missing" some of the police and fire broadcasts? How would I know.? Thanks again for all the help! Right now money is tight and I didn't really want to sign up for another premium subscription.
First you need to update the frequencies in your current system to what is in the database. Then add a second system with the all the same new frequencies "and" the trunking tables programmed as Custom/Reband, to hear the calls that are on assigned to the splinter frequencies 853.45000 and 853.77500. The tables are at the top of this page Software Support for Uniden Rebanding The only way to tell if you are missing something is too listen to two scanners, which I have done. See this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/oh.../274570-city-columbus-rebanding-progress.html

We will need to monitor both systems until the radios are reprogrammed, then the old system can be deleted.

Last edited:

Drodd1

First you need to update the frequencies in your current system to what is in the database. Then add a second system with the all the same new frequencies "and" the trunking tables programmed as Custom/Reband, to hear the calls that are on assigned to the splinter frequencies 853.45000 and 853.77500. The tables are at the top of this page Software Support for Uniden Rebanding The only way to tell if you are missing something is too listen to two scanners, which I have done. See this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/oh.../274570-city-columbus-rebanding-progress.html

We will need to monitor both systems until the radios are reprogrammed, then the old system can be deleted.

Thanks for the reply. What is a "splinter frequency?" I see the two frequencies you mention are alternate control channels. I don't think I ever had any of these alternates programmed into my scanner. Why are they needed for a rebanded system?

Drodd1

Those are not control channels. Control channels are red and blue in the database. You may want to read up on Rebanding as it is too extensive to explain here.

Yes, you're right. The alternates are in BLUE. I think everything is working OK. I'll just keep listening and I should be able to tell if I'm missing any of the action. There's a steep learning curve on these scanners! Thanks again for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.