MARCS-IP scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucknut937

Premium Subscriber
I was researching the Ohio forums and found that the new bearcat BCD996XT will receive the new marcs IP system? I was on the understanding that only GRE-800 would pick up the new system

KWs

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to monitor just fine on 996 scanners... System has capability of going Phase 2 but it is not now.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
The MARCS-IP system is capable of using TDMA modulation, however no talk groups have been confirmed to be using this type of modulation. I'm monitoring it just fine using my PSR-500. It's my understanding that as the system is right now, you can monitor with any digital scanner. I think the only exception to this is the PRO-96/2096, which is incapable of monitoring the 700 MHz frequencies for P25 trunking purposes.

SCPD

QRT
bc996xt

when and its only a matter of when the State does go Phase II, the older models will be a good boat anchor. Save the money and get the newest model. I intend to sell of my 396 and 996 to use towards the newer scanners

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have to agree with sspnelson. Phase II is the wave of the future. I have a BCD436HP on order and will get a BCD536HP to replace my BCD996XT sometime later this year. Might as well be ready for that day, whenever it comes.

Also in the past I heard many an agency say "We will never go to MARCS", but they eventually did.

Nasby

But in reality it could be a full 10 years (or longer) before the Phase II switch is made.

Who knows what type of awesome scanners will be on the market then.

It's just pure speculation right now.

Why waste money on something (Phsae II) that may never come or may be very far off.

SCPD

QRT
and in that time period encryption could be rampant and not even able to listen to your local dog catcher. I and others believe the hobby is going to be extinct of listening to police and fire or technology will make it too expensive for the average joe to purchase. If Ohio has plans for Phase II, then it will more than likely happen, look what they have done so far. It wasn't that many years ago we were on Low band, it went BYE BYE completely! I can;t tell you how much money Ive thrown at scanners in a lifetime only to find that tech obsolete, lets see, tuneable, crystals, first programmable, trunking, yet technology is still outpacing the ability to monitor, IE ProVice. Only time will tell

Swipesy

Some of the comments in this thread remind us old timers of the panic that was hitting the hobby when public service radio was switching to Trunked Systems and no scanner could monitor such. There were those who rung their hands and cried the death of scanners as a hobby. Well, here we are listening to Trunked Systems. Now the cry is encryption and the death of scanners once again. However, if you read posts to RadioReference made by those in the know (those who install radio systems and administer them - I am not one of them but know many of them that post), encryption is NOT a near term wave of the future. It is very, very expensive to have radios capable of encryption and very expensive to maintain encrypted radios. Also, it prevents neighboring communities public service to monitor. I subscribe to it is what it is and why worry about what can't be controlled by the hobbyist. Enjoy what we have.

SCPD

QRT
radio comm

I fully understand the need for secure comm with police, my issue is with public safety and putting fire on encryption. My town springfield, OHIO went ProVoice back a few years ago with police and fire digital yet public works was analong. What possibly do founding fathers have for making all communication on a system that no one can hear or place encryption on all channels. I understand the cost and how can they justify they expense without getting voter approval, just because thats what they think. I mean in reality what % of crooks are really caught listeningto a scanner while burlarising, enough to block all neighborhood watch and the public from being able to monitor, watch look and listen to be able to report.
And yes Im tickled to death we can still here the Sheriff, OSO most channels and such, I know when I lived in Florida most state are ProVoice down there, unmonitorable.Yet taxpayer systems pay for it. Where is the fairness to just continue to make a system more difficult to monitor for the few in power that want it that way??

Status
Not open for further replies.