RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Ohio Radio Discussion Forum

Ohio Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Ohio.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB8KOJ View Post
Mark, when they say "simulcast system" I am assuming other sites are transmitting on the same frequencies at the same time for users. Is that constantly or does that only happen when a user is voted or connected to that secondary site?

I've compared the area frequencies on each site and they don't seem to overlap. Just confused to where these simultaneous signals are coming from.
All the county sites are licensed for and always transmitting on the same frequencies at the same time. For example, if the Xenia site is transmitting on 851.9625, the same transmission will be heard simultaneously on the Fairborn, Spring Valley, Yellow Springs, Jamestown and Bellbrook sites. With a simulcast cell, the system doesn't recognize subscriber radios at different towers in the same manner as stand-alone sites; to the system it's simply a single site.

In addition to site locations, take a look at emissions. Some sites may have been used for the old EDACS system but replaced by newer sites for the MARCS-IP system and are no longer in use.

The best way to confirm which frequencies are in use is to run one of the computer programs that monitors the control channel, such as Unitrunker or Pro96Com. This will show frequencies as they are assigned by the controller.

By the way, one of Greene County's licenses lists a site at Wilberforce about half a mile from the MARCS-IP site, using a guyed tower on the Central State campus. So, it's possible that the MARCS-IP Wilberforce site could eventually be merged into the Greene County simulcast at one location or the other (I would suspect at the MARCS site as I believe the tower there may be newer and better).
www.wa8pyr.info
If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.

Last edited by wa8pyr; 01-19-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Okay that takes care of that on the simulcast. I didn't see anything listed for Spring Valley or Bellbrook. That is probably the source of mixing with the main site for myself.

One other question... if the Greene Sheriff's office is using the Wilberforce site. Why aren't the other agencies in Green Co. doing the same?

Last edited by KB8KOJ; 01-19-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Old 01-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Technischer Guru
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB8KOJ View Post
Okay that takes care of that on the simulcast. I didn't see anything listed for Spring Valley OH. That is probably the source mixing with the main site for myself.

One other question... if the Greene Sheriff's office is using the Wilberforce site. Why aren't the other agencies in Green Co. doing the same?
Their radios were added to the system using a different profile setting than the others. Due to the limited capacity of the MARCS Wilberforce site, it's likely that the only county users with access to that site would be the sheriff and the local fire department as they're the only ones which truly need to access it for coverage purposes.
www.wa8pyr.info
If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, all towers within the county side of the system transmit simultaneously. If it helps you can think of the Greene County Simulcast site as a ' sub system' of the overall MARCS-IP system.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Old 01-19-2014, 12:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Okay... thanks guys. Think it's all starting to come together now. At least I have a better idea of how the system works.... and can make a plan of attack to overcome my RX problems.
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2014, 3:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is everyone still getting all the greene county talk groups?
I used to get Beavercreek good but something happened. Did they go to,phase 2?
I have the 536 and 396xt side by side and the 536 is picking them up but not the 396.
Old 01-30-2014, 3:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8JJ View Post
Is everyone still getting all the greene county talk groups?
I used to get Beavercreek good but something happened. Did they go to,phase 2?
I have the 536 and 396xt side by side and the 536 is picking them up but not the 396.
I'm still seeing a lot of activity on the Greene Co Simulcast system. I'm checking it with UniTrunker driven by Raw inputs from my HomePatrol-1 and I see no evidence of Phase 2.

I've had mixed results with my different radios from my home location (see a lot of LSM issues). Have had some improvements using directional antennas, but not an optimum or complete solution. Have better performance with mobile use, but again not great if I'm located where I'm getting strong signals from multiple towers.

Doesn't surprise me that your getting better performance with the 536 based on what I'm reading in the various threads. I hope the 436 performs as well.
Old 01-31-2014, 4:14 AM
Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Any Phase 2 use is still a long ways off.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 AM

Default MARCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8pyr View Post
Their radios were added to the system using a different profile setting than the others. Due to the limited capacity of the MARCS Wilberforce site, it's likely that the only county users with access to that site would be the sheriff and the local fire department as they're the only ones which truly need to access it for coverage purposes.
I noticed that yesterday as I drove up 675 to my parents house in Fairborn. I have both the MARCS-IP Wilbur site along with other IP sites in one bank and the Greene County Simulcast Site in another and scanned both at the same time. I am using a PSR-500 with a specialized portable 800mhz antenna. I had great coverage starting about Austin Pike on the MARCS-IP side when GCSO and GCFD keyed up but the Greene County Simulcast wasn't so good and a lot of garbled transmissions. As moved up 675 through Greene County both "systems" seemed to get the same coverage. I was able to receive Beavercreek PD and Fairborn PD rather well. A few dead spots here or there but nothing major. The coverage in my parents house was nearly perfect, they live around 675 / 70 interchange.
Sponsored links

Old 02-05-2014, 3:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Have partial identification of two new TGID on the Ohio MARCS-IP (Greene Co Simulcast). Both appear to be Wright State University dealing Facilities:

TGID 20212 was clearly being used to manage snow removal, and
TGID 20208 appears to be related building maintenance.

I would classify the Service Type as Public Works. I have not heard anything that clearly identifies a channel name. I did see a couple of common UIDs that used both TGIDs.

Can anyone else confirm my information before we submit it to the RRDB?

I've also seen two TGIDs that are full time encrypted but for which I've yet to identify the agency. They are TGID 20090 and TGID 20093. In a quick look at some limited data from UniTrunker, I've seen a couple of UIDs that have shared both, but I've not yet seen UIDs that share these and known TGIDs. I'm thinking these are probably something related to the Sheriff's Office, but am not sure. Does anyone have any more information on these? Even though they can't be monitored, would like for them to be in the RRDB so they can be explicitly Avoided/Skipped.

Thanks for any additional inputs,

Ted
Old 02-06-2014, 9:52 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default TG 20090

Seen 20090 off the Springfield site almost constantly in and out on aff. which perhaps maybe a remote base unit and might be John Bryan State parks county security , not ODNR Parks police.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8wel View Post
Seen 20090 off the Springfield site almost constantly in and out on aff. which perhaps maybe a remote base unit and might be John Bryan State parks county security , not ODNR Parks police.
I doubt its John Bryan State parks security; been monitoring continuously with UniTrunker since yesterday, and have seen over 950 calls on 20090 just since last night. Again all are encrypted.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8wel View Post
I was talking to a senior Greene Co deputy last weekend about their new system and how well it was working. He did imply that they have a "secure" tac channel, however I've never seen one in the DB. You may have discovered it.
Old 02-09-2014, 7:29 AM
Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Greene County Ohio, MARCS

Now that agencies have been using MARCS-IP for awhile what is the status of their VHF? Such as Fairborn PD's P25 repeater? Are they still being used in any fashion?

Sent from my lousy iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

DOes anyone have a working green co file for the new marcs system that they could email me in either freescan or ARC396xt pro. I had one that was csv format but cant figure out how to get it into the program.

Thanks
Robbie
roldham001@woh.rr.com
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2014, 1:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioscan View Post
Now that agencies have been using MARCS-IP for awhile what is the status of their VHF? Such as Fairborn PD's P25 repeater? Are they still being used in any fashion?

The Beavercreek PD dispatch, 155.64, has gone silent, haven't heard anything for quite a while
The Fairborn PD dispatch, 155.535, P25, also appears to be silent

The Beavercreek FD dispatch, 154.385, which used to be a simulcast of the Greene Co EDACS, is no longer in use as a simulcast. I believe I've heard a digital signal on that frequency a couple of times (Close-Call hit). I seem to remember a discussion on another thread about it becoming a pager channel.

The Fairborn FD dispatch, 154.4, I think is still being used to simulcast the dispatch on the MARCS-IP system. I believe I got a Close-Call hit on it the other day when I was driving through Fairborn. They haven't been very active this afternoon.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioscan View Post

Additional info:

The VHF channel, 155.76, Sugarcreek Twp Fire Dispatch, is now simulcasting what is heard on the Ohio MARCS-IP TGID 20122, Bellbrook /Sugarcreek Fire - Dispatch
Old 04-01-2014, 7:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default greene county Simulcast and Dayton MARCS IP

Is Beavercreek (and others) simulcasting on the Greene County simulcast system and the MARCS IP?
I locked out the simulcast system and seem to be getting all the traffic on Dayton MARCS IP but I have no way to be sure. I suppose one could setup 2 scanners locked on the same TGID and see what is missed.

I don't want to spend time optimizing an antenna to get rid of the simulcast distortion if I can get all the traffic off the other system.
Old 04-01-2014, 7:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As long as a radio is affiliating with the Dayton site you will hear them. If they stop affiliating then you won't hear them on that site.

Dave N8DHW

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk