BRICS System

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know exactly what this means: "The Butler Regional Interoperbility Communications System (BRICS) will connect it's zone controller to the statewide MARCS-IP system. It is expected to become Zone 4 within the MARCS-IP network. Butler County will be a Tier 5 Partner and surrounding counties Clermont, Hamilton and Warren may tie in the Zone 4 controller. This change will take place in the coming weeks. Please keep a close watch on this system for the changes."

I just need someone to explain in simple words and terms. Thanks

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Yes, I wrote it. It means that BRICS as it's own system will be absorbed into the statewide MARCS-IP system. It will become a part of MARCS-IP as it's own Zone just like Lake and Jefferson counties in Northeastern Ohio are now. Butler County is keeping their own system controller and will link it into MARCS-IP. Eventually Clermont, and possibly Hamilton and Warren counties will tie into that controller so all the local counties in Southwestern Ohio will be a part of Zone 4 of MARCS-IP. Think of it like this. The system covers the entire state, but is split into regions, these regions fall under a "zone" within the system. Butler County should be fully integrated into MARCS-IP sometime in the next 30 days or so.

Here is a link to the wiki article explaining MARCS local partnerships
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Ohio_MARCS_IP:_Local_Partnerships

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
So then we will see the Butler County channels on the MARCS-IP system and no longer on the current stand-alone system?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

mszabo2000

So then we will see the Butler County channels on the MARCS-IP system and no longer on the current stand-alone system?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

The Butler system will utilize the same frequencies as it does today. The connection to MARCS IP allows talkgroups to roam between the Butler and MARCS systems.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Has anybody listened to Butler County on the new system yet? Does it sound good?

Shouldn't sound any different than it did before. Still a Motorola P25 system, same transmitters, same towers. They've just connected to MARCS-IP as a system controller instead of continuing to pay maintenance on a separate controller.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
I monitored it most of the day and it sounds fine, no difference at all.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

heidorn39

I have the pro-106 and cannot get hardly anything from butler co dispatch. I live near liberty fairfield rd at Millikin. Is it my location? Anyone else have issues.

Matt: Still crappy reception

Almost like signal muted

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
Are you aware that butler county switched to the marcs-ip system? And if yes, are you monitoring the "butler co simulcast" site?

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

heidorn39

I believe so. There are 14 freqs listed on the site for butler county simulcast. I have those entered. I get hit and miss reception and not a lot of traffic. Wondering if there is a setting off in the pro106

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
I'm a Uniden guy, not a radio shack or GRE guy. The only other thing I suggest is make sure the firmware on the unit is up to date

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I would get the new 436HP scanner. It decodes much better than the 396xt and 996xt models. However, those models would still pick up the Butler county system. The audio breaks up a lot due to the simulcast issues. I love my 436hp because it delivers great audio

Status
Not open for further replies.