CSX Police on MARCS IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasby

I just saw in the DB that CSX police have a talkgroup on MARCS IP.

Just curious if anyone has any info such as its area of use (yards, statewide, etc.) and if anyone has actually heard any activity from them?

au1344

Premium Subscriber
I've seen the talkgroup in radio templates for the COIRS system in Franklin and Delaware counties so it at least will be in use here in Columbus I'd assume. I haven't heard any use of the talkgroup yet though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Swipesy

Supplementing what W8RMH has said, I am a big train watcher and it has been years since I last heard any Class 1 railroad police transmission on any scanner. I think they pretty much use cell phones these days.

John

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Supplementing what W8RMH has said, I am a big train watcher and it has been years since I last heard any Class 1 railroad police transmission on any scanner. I think they pretty much use cell phones these days.

NS Police uses 161.205 pretty regularly (or did), but I've heard rumors that they converted it over to NXDN digital, encrypted. Their systemwide dispatch center is in Norfolk, and has wayside base stations all over the place.

As far as the CSX Ohio talkgroup, I'd suspect police interoperability only. Putting any kind of railroad operations on MARCS would be pushing the edge of the envelope out a bit too far.

mmartinfan

Banned
As far as the CSX Ohio talkgroup, I'd suspect police interoperability only. Putting any kind of railroad operations on MARCS would be pushing the edge of the envelope out a bit too far.

So is MARCS then max'ed out then when OSP is up and running on it?????

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
So is MARCS then max'ed out then when OSP is up and running on it?????

No, for-profit railroad operations are probably illegal on a government owned system like MARCS.

santafe2016

Marcs maxxed out??

Will MARCS IP ever become maxxed out? With all these piddly burgs having to sign on with aTG, there must be a saturation point at some time?? And what do they do is/ when/ should MARCS ever fail? You have to wonder is any terror group could shut down a system what it would do. It would be interesting to realize security on LA or NYC systems.

Swipesy

NS Police uses 161.205 pretty regularly (or did), but I've heard rumors that they converted it over to NXDN digital, encrypted. Their systemwide dispatch center is in Norfolk, and has wayside base stations all over the place.

You may be hearing NS 161.205 for yard activity in Columbus but Class 1 railroads up here have not used any of their published frequencies for years. I was involved in a CSX/NS incident two years ago involving the Berea and Olmsted Falls police and CSX/NS police. With 3 radios running all programmed with CSX/NS the communications between Berea, Olmsted and CSX/NS was by phone. I was able to hear the Berea and Olmsted talking on their radios but standing next to the CSX/NS police they were using cell phones to communicate with the municipal dispatchers. It is very possible rail police are migrating to NXDN from cell phones but I can't verify that.

jscott02

No, for-profit railroad operations are probably illegal on a government owned system like MARCS.

Aren't all the medical transportation companies on it for-profit? Just wondering why a railroad operation would be different.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
They are considered first responders (I know many of them aren't really) same as electric co ops. The idea is they furnish some form of emergency services. I know that some wrecker services have inquired about MARCS service and have been turned down. Just a little to far from first responder status, even though they respond to emergency type calls.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Reviving this thread. Which site would CSX police would be using in Franklin County on MARCS?

au1344

Premium Subscriber
CSX would use the Columbus MARCS site, however the talkgroups are only for interop and not daily operations.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nasby

Has anyone actually heard any traffc on these T/G's or are they just a pie in the sky T/G like so many other listed MARCS T/G's taken from someone's radio template?

au1344

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone actually heard any traffc on these T/G's or are they just a pie in the sky T/G like so many other listed MARCS T/G's taken from someone's radio template?

I have heard them interop with Columbus PD every so often. It is not common though.

Status
Not open for further replies.