OSP MARCS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8HDU

Is OSP in Findlay, Van Wert, Lima, and Wapak the older MARCS or are they on MARCS-IP now?

Also, when selecting the channels you wish to monitor, is there any logic on what to select? For example, for the Lima Post, I could tick on 51502 for their dispatch, but do I need to find another channel for the car's response, or would the car come back on the same channel?

Excuse the new user questions as I've been out of scanning for about 20 years. This is all new to me.

Attachments

• OSP.jpg
    OSP.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 853

au1344

Premium Subscriber
They are all on MARCS-IP up there, and you will hear both dispatch and cars on one talkgroup. Since Findlay dispatches for Lima there may be times where you can hear Findlay stuff on the Lima group or vice versa.

W8HDU

They are all on MARCS-IP up there, and you will hear both dispatch and cars on one talkgroup. Since Findlay dispatches for Lima there may be times where you can hear Findlay stuff on the Lima group or vice versa.

Thanks for letting me know about Findlay dispatching for Lima. I would have never known. What about to the south. I assume Wapakoneta Post 6 is dispatching for themselves since they are one of the newer posts. (Talk group 51506).

au1344

Premium Subscriber
If I remember right they are dispatched by post 55 piqua.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

santafe2016

osp and Ghost posts

I had a trooper tell me they call them a host post if there is no one there to dispatch but still a post, like Marysville. Post 12 Springfield does it for them but they call it Marysville. Same I suspect at wapak Piqua does it and calls it post 6, like Xenia is a Ghost Post, lots to learn Mr> if you have been gone this long. I know I still mmiss the old low bank stuff and skip!!! PM me if you have more questions, sometimes people on here do not want to explain things in a pleasant manner, LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Davey1

Go to the Radio Reference Wiki and find the page for "Ohio State Highway Patrol."

When you find the page, click on "Consolidated Dispatching" and you'll find a very nice map that shows which posts do the dispatching and the areas that they cover. Very good resource.

phask

Premium Subscriber
OSP had one 3 weeks ago. It was in city limits but run by OSP. All OSP traffic was regular dispatch channels, nothing encrypted. Local PD was on their own channel and no cross communication.

I live close enough I could copy the MRE. They were instructed to turn off all but one MRE and all ran through it.

- Thrid time in the last year they have been in / close to the same area -

customseal

Premium Subscriber
Ok all, question why is it that Sandusky post will come in on my homepatrol for let's say a week then will be gone for maybe a week or so? I update every Sunday. This is driving me crazy. Thanks for any info

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Ok all, question why is it that Sandusky post will come in on my homepatrol for let's say a week then will be gone for maybe a week or so? I update every Sunday. This is driving me crazy. Thanks for any info

Because someone using the Sandusky talkgroup happened to be in range of the tower you were monitoring.

It's random, there's no way to prevent hearing it short of locking out the talkgroups you do not wish to hear.

customseal

Premium Subscriber
Funny thing is I live by Sandusky and used to get them all the time before they switched. Guess I will have to ask there techs why. If anyone has a clue let me know, if I find out I will post

customseal

Premium Subscriber
I think what is going on is they have a block of frequency number's that they switch to. So that is why I can hear them for one week then not the next. Trying to get them. I did ask this question and I was told they do.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I think what is going on is they have a block of frequency number's that they switch to. So that is why I can hear them for one week then not the next. Trying to get them. I did ask this question and I was told they do.

They cannot switch frequencies themselves. Every tower site on the system has assigned frequencies which do not change.

What is most likely happening is that the talkgroup you wish to hear is not active at the tower you're monitoring.

customseal

Premium Subscriber
Ok then what can I to do, I have the Ohio Marc's iP high lighted and can't get Sandusky tower. Get turnpike, then all of a sudden they come in. I then lock in district 2. This will last for a bit then lose them.up until they went to x I have always been able to hear my son. I live next to post 72 so this will give you idea of location. Thanks

Davey1

Now we have a better idea about your location.

I'm going to disregard your mention of the "Sandusky tower," because it doesn't exist.

1. Be sure that you have the following talk groups enabled:
OSP Fremont is 51572
OSP Sandusky is 51724
OSP troopers in your area seem to use these two talk groups interchangably without regard to their actual location.

2. Be sure that you have the following MARCS IP site frequencies entered in your scanner:
Fremont 773.78125 control, 771.60625 alternate
Oak Harbor 773.93125 control, 773.55625 alternate
Bradner 774.08125 control, 773.83125 alternate
Tiffin 774.53125 control, 774.13125 alternate
Castalia 774.03125 control, 773.58125 alternate

You could hear the posts that you want to hear from any of these locations. There is no MARCS IP transmitter or tower site at Sandusky.

I cannot offer advice on how to program your Home Patrol scanner because I have never owned one of those.

I hear both Post 22 (Sandusky) and Post 72 (Fremont) on a daily basis without difficulty. If you do as above you should, too.

In my opinion, there is no need for weekly updates in this situation, because nothing of value has changed that would make a difference.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Answer the following?

When is the last time you updated the database?
On the HP - Menu - Advanced - down arrow - version information
Need to list the database version

Are you using the full database or using a favorite list?

Do you know ho to create a favorite list?

Ok then what can I to do, I have the Ohio Marc's iP high lighted and can't get Sandusky tower. Get turnpike, then all of a sudden they come in. I then lock in district 2. This will last for a bit then lose them.up until they went to x I have always been able to hear my son. I live next to post 72 so this will give you idea of location. Thanks

customseal

Premium Subscriber
Than you for the info will try to enter info now. Sorry on Sandusky tower wrong statement lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.