RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Ohio Radio Discussion Forum

Ohio Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Ohio.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2016, 6:53 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Check the COIRS templates at COIRS.org they are not identical to Columbus but fairly close.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by au1344 View Post
Check the COIRS templates at COIRS.org they are not identical to Columbus but fairly close.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
That confirms what I was hoping. The radios we borrow from Fairwood have the EZ channels on zone 50. All the rest of the zones are nuts on those radios. CPD, CFD, COIRS, DELCO but no state groups which buzzes me, how am I to test 700 MHz BDAs with no state groups. They're not loaning radios anymore as other companies have been irresponsible so we had to borrow from a local FD to test in their jurisdiction. The local FD didn't know or remember about the common channels.

A side note after seeing the posts on COIRS.org, wayyyyy too much downtime from XO. If they need site to site ethernet they should look into something like Ubiquiti AirFiber and XO as a backup. Not looking up the specs but I thought Ubiquiti was getting 15 gbit on those units.

Thank you for the info.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:48 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcferrin90 View Post
That confirms what I was hoping. The radios we borrow from Fairwood have the EZ channels on zone 50. All the rest of the zones are nuts on those radios. CPD, CFD, COIRS, DELCO but no state groups which buzzes me, how am I to test 700 MHz BDAs with no state groups. They're not loaning radios anymore as other companies have been irresponsible so we had to borrow from a local FD to test in their jurisdiction. The local FD didn't know or remember about the common channels.

A side note after seeing the posts on COIRS.org, wayyyyy too much downtime from XO. If they need site to site ethernet they should look into something like Ubiquiti AirFiber and XO as a backup. Not looking up the specs but I thought Ubiquiti was getting 15 gbit on those units.

Thank you for the info.
No problem, I agree with the XO downtime, they should use site to site ethernet. I worked for another company that used XO for their phones and it was down at least every 3-4 weeks.
Old 01-10-2017, 2:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Legacy Columbus TRAF 1 TG now on MARCS?

Can anyone confirm the old "TRAF 1" on the analog Columbus City system is now found on MARCS? I assume it was the StateFarm/Freeway Safety guys that were on there. Enjoyed listening to those teams during rush hour.

I've not heard anything on the new XTRAFFIC talkgroup on the digital Columbus system.

Is it safe to assume the StateFarm/FSP patrols are on the MARCS system now? Below is a capture of monitoring throughout the day. Sorry about the formatting -

Tag Freq/TG System Group Tag Lookup RR Data lookup Description

D06- FSP 53020 Columbus MARCS ODOT District 6 D06FSP District 6 Freeway Service Patrols
D06-FRA1 53303 Columbus MARCS ODOT District 6 D06FRA1 Franklin County Operations 1
D06-FRA3 64118 Columbus MARCS ODOT District 6 D06FRA3 Franklin County Operations 3
D06-FRA2 64117 Columbus MARCS ODOT District 6 D06FRA2 Franklin County Operations 2

Last edited by N8DLA; 01-10-2017 at 2:19 PM..
Old 01-10-2017, 2:41 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DLA View Post
Can anyone confirm the old "TRAF 1" on the analog Columbus City system is now found on MARCS? I assume it was the StateFarm/Freeway Safety guys that were on there. Enjoyed listening to those teams during rush hour.

I've not heard anything on the new XTRAFFIC talkgroup on the digital Columbus system.

Is it safe to assume the StateFarm/FSP patrols are on the MARCS system now? Below is a capture of monitoring throughout the day. Sorry about the formatting -

Tag Freq/TG System Group Tag Lookup RR Data lookup Description

D06- FSP 53020 Columbus MARCS ODOT District 6 D06FSP District 6 Freeway Service Patrols
D06-FRA1 53303 Columbus MARCS ODOT District 6 D06FRA1 Franklin County Operations 1
D06-FRA3 64118 Columbus MARCS ODOT District 6 D06FRA3 Franklin County Operations 3
D06-FRA2 64117 Columbus MARCS ODOT District 6 D06FRA2 Franklin County Operations 2
Yeah they have been on MARCS for a couple of years now. You can find them on the ODOT TG D06-FSP, 53020. They only use Traffic 1 on a rare occasion now.

Last edited by au1344; 01-10-2017 at 2:45 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2017, 1:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Anyone else having an issue receiving the City of Columbus control channel ?
I have noticed that signal strength of the control channel 859.2125 is very poor right after it rains.
After the sun comes out a few times the signal is good again.
I have monitored it using communications monitors and scanners and notice the power drop almost like clock work. Rain, signal gets bad. Sunshine signal gets good. I know all about simulcasting and signal waves, so please don't start on the simulcast distortion claim. I have worked in commercial radio and television for 40 years, and have been an extra class ham for 45. I have run a monitor and checked the signal and it is not a simulcast issue. Just a transmitted signal to a fixed antenna point rationalization. To me it appears that which ever tower i am receiving on the Westside of Columbus has an antenna issue related to weather. Just wondering if any one else having this issue ?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:22 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysrv1 View Post
Anyone else having an issue receiving the City of Columbus control channel ?
I have noticed that signal strength of the control channel 859.2125 is very poor right after it rains.
After the sun comes out a few times the signal is good again.
I have monitored it using communications monitors and scanners and notice the power drop almost like clock work. Rain, signal gets bad. Sunshine signal gets good. I know all about simulcasting and signal waves, so please don't start on the simulcast distortion claim. I have worked in commercial radio and television for 40 years, and have been an extra class ham for 45. I have run a monitor and checked the signal and it is not a simulcast issue. Just a transmitted signal to a fixed antenna point rationalization. To me it appears that which ever tower i am receiving on the Westside of Columbus has an antenna issue related to weather. Just wondering if any one else having this issue ?
Which site are you closest to?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:51 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default traumacop

I am in a direct line of site to the SOT.
I have confirmed that it Is not a multipath issue using a professional analyzer.
Receiving one signal from SOT on 859.2125 shows reception level greatly decreases after we have rain or ice forms. When this condition is happening I have monitored public service agencies using this system and repeatly my hear units having missed calls or dropped communications.
I use to build communication systems and 911 centers for Motorola so i know the systems well
This issue has been present since the change over when 859.2125 became the fixed control channel.
I am sure that there is an issue with the SOT 859.2125 transmitter or the antenn system being affected by weather. Just no one maintaining the system wants to hear it.
Simply water getting the coax from a connector could be causing this issue.
Problem when wet, no issue when dry. Seen it many times.

This issue is putting officers at risk due to a issue of the system.
Granted it works But not effectively.
Just wondering if any one else has seen this power drop.
Old 05-09-2017, 2:56 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Franklin and Columbus city tower

Can someone break down what agencies are on franklin county site and columbus city site for law enforcement and fire, seems like most talk groups in the 5000 are on city and 6000 on franklin county?
Old 05-09-2017, 3:36 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert43055 View Post
Can someone break down what agencies are on franklin county site and columbus city site for law enforcement and fire, seems like most talk groups in the 5000 are on city and 6000 on franklin county?
Columbus:

-CPD
-CFD
-MECC
-Westerville
-Metro Park Rangers
-Prairie Fire (used to be on county until recently)
-Upper Arlington
-Airport PD/FD
-Capital University PD
-City Services

Franklin County:

-Grove City
-Reynoldsburg
-FCSO
-County Services
-Airport Services
-County Jails/JDC
-COTA

You are correct that most of the time TG's with 5xxxx will be City and 6xxxx will be the county, however there are some exceptions to that.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Technischer Guru
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by au1344 View Post
Columbus:

-CPD
-CFD
-MECC
-Westerville
-Metro Park Rangers
-Prairie Fire (used to be on county until recently)
-Upper Arlington
-Airport PD/FD
-Capital University PD
-City Services

Franklin County:

-Grove City
-Reynoldsburg
-FCSO
-County Services
-Airport Services
-County Jails/JDC
-COTA

You are correct that most of the time TG's with 5xxxx will be City and 6xxxx will be the county, however there are some exceptions to that.
Metro Park Rangers, Prairie Fire, Airport PD/FD and Capital University PD can roam anywhere, they just usually end up on the City site.

All Columbus agencies, MECC, Westerville, and Upper Arlington will pretty much always be on the City site and apart from a handful of CPD and CFD talkgroups won't roam.

If I PM you about a submission, please reply promptly or your submission may be rejected.

Last edited by wa8pyr; 05-09-2017 at 10:13 AM..
Old 05-09-2017, 11:06 AM

I got to peek at the CPD template. It's nice, it's colour coded for each talkgroup and it's appropriate site. I have pretty much figured most out. The hospitals are on MARCS same with OSU. Just ask your self, is it a state agency, city or county. Most are correct using that method.
Old 05-09-2017, 2:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I found some talkgroups that I have no clue about in Columbus so I'll put them here and hope that someone else may know a little more.

57318 sounds like security checking different buildings in downtown. Base is refered to as "desk" also calls "operations" frequently

57278 refers to base as "CTR" they sound like parking enforcement and are calling tow trucks to streets in and around downtown. Radio ID's are in the 2599xxx range. Also city service ID's show up too, 253xxxx

57412 is a housekeeping department somewhere, radio ID's start with 2598xxx. I am pretty sure this is the courthouse's housekeeping since they referred to Judge Ebner's office but I am not 100% sure.
Old 05-13-2017, 5:30 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default talkgroup

53199 is State Security
Old 05-15-2017, 1:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for finding 57278. I work downtown and watch the city tow these cars parked on the street during street cleaning on Monday and Tuesday mornings. Sometimes these violators get irate and I feel for these employees just doing their jobs.
Old 06-17-2017, 5:05 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Special events

Anyone know if CPD are still using the interop channels for special events
Old 06-18-2017, 7:17 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert43055 View Post
Anyone know if CPD are still using the interop channels for special events
They have been using the EZ channels for most events
Old 08-16-2017, 6:37 PM

Default Help with receiving CPD broadcast

Hello,
First I want to apologize if this is not the right thread for this question and if this question has been answered and I couldn't find it.

I have been in the hobby for several years but just recently bought a new Uniden BCD436HP. I upgraded the firmware and the database right after receiving it. My problem is I pick up broadcasts from several jurisdictions (Hilliard PD, Delaware County Sherrif, Worthington, Dublin, Powell and Pickaway County Sherrif) but very rarely do I pick up Columbus PD. I live on the northeast side, near where Shrock road passes over 270. I have compared my reception that that of one of the live feeds from one of the user's here (I am sorry but I cannot recall the username) and I get about 10% of the CPD traffic on my scanner that I hear on the live feed. Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate your assistance in advance.
Old 08-16-2017, 8:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_gutta View Post
Hello,
First I want to apologize if this is not the right thread for this question and if this question has been answered and I couldn't find it.

I have been in the hobby for several years but just recently bought a new Uniden BCD436HP. I upgraded the firmware and the database right after receiving it. My problem is I pick up broadcasts from several jurisdictions (Hilliard PD, Delaware County Sherrif, Worthington, Dublin, Powell and Pickaway County Sherrif) but very rarely do I pick up Columbus PD. I live on the northeast side, near where Shrock road passes over 270. I have compared my reception that that of one of the live feeds from one of the user's here (I am sorry but I cannot recall the username) and I get about 10% of the CPD traffic on my scanner that I hear on the live feed. Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate your assistance in advance.
Welcome to Simulcast. My scanners at home including my feed scanner use a Yagi directional antenna and work well, but receiving Columbus anywhere else is extremely difficult if not impossible. I recently purchased a Unication G4 which decodes Columbus perfectly. I will probably be selling my BCD436HP. Click on the link below for information and tips on receiving simulcast systems.

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited by W8RMH; 08-16-2017 at 8:22 PM..
Old 08-17-2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
Welcome to Simulcast. My scanners at home including my feed scanner use a Yagi directional antenna and work well, but receiving Columbus anywhere else is extremely difficult if not impossible. I recently purchased a Unication G4 which decodes Columbus perfectly. I will probably be selling my BCD436HP. Click on the link below for information and tips on receiving simulcast systems.

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki
That is not what I wanted to hear. I guess I should have done my research before buying the scanner. Thank you for your reply W8RMH.