Typical for MARCS-IP radios to associate to other systems outside their home system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevnFour

Premium Subscriber
Poking around on my 996P2, I had never played around much with the ID Search functions. Today, I found it interesting that while I was on the Montgomery County system, having set to 'ID Search', I could readily pull in IDs from Darke Co. (14502, Darke Co. Sheriff), Champaign Co. (10298, Champaign Co. Sheriff), Allen Co. (5055, Lima/Allen Co. EMS) plus probably 25 other non-local TG IDs which I haven't placed as of yet. I found this fascinating as I'm in the far SW corner of Greene County...

Thus, my question - Do MARCS radios associate with other systems outside of their assigned 'home' system - even 3 counties distant?

I'm not complaining - it's fun to be able to hear Champaign Co. Sheriff all the way down here...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I think you're confusing sites with systems. MARCS-IP is a single large system. If a user has the correct permissions, they can use the system anywhere in its coverage area, not just from one site.

BigWonton

While on vacation last week, I took my work (PD) issued radio from NE Ohio down to the Cincinnati area just to see if it would work and it affiliated with the sites down there and I was hearing radio traffic just fine.

I'd be curious to see how long the affiliation lasts after one leaves the site.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Poking around on my 996P2, I had never played around much with the ID Search functions. Today, I found it interesting that while I was on the Montgomery County system, having set to 'ID Search', I could readily pull in IDs from Darke Co. (14502, Darke Co. Sheriff), Champaign Co. (10298, Champaign Co. Sheriff), Allen Co. (5055, Lima/Allen Co. EMS) plus probably 25 other non-local TG IDs which I haven't placed as of yet. I found this fascinating as I'm in the far SW corner of Greene County...

Thus, my question - Do MARCS radios associate with other systems outside of their assigned 'home' system - even 3 counties distant?

I'm not complaining - it's fun to be able to hear Champaign Co. Sheriff all the way down here...

I don't know all of the details of all of the arrangements with all of the counties -- But, Pretty much every county that has committed to MARCS for public safety has the ability for all of their radios to roam one tower site away from their home county in a 360 degree direction. And I think typically Sheriff Departments on MARCS have access to the system statewide on all towers.

So, no it would not be strange to see neighboring county agencies on your county's towers and vice versa.

And of course, depending upon agreements between agencies and MARCS, there are other agencies that might have some coverage broader than just (county + closest neighboring sites) but may not have full access across the state.

I know our sheriff departments around here really love the fact that if they are doing prisoner transports to other counties, even 4 or 8 counties away, they have complete coverage end-to-end without ever having to depend upon cellular coverage.

Mike

fyrfyter33

Fire and EMS roaming is 1-2 counties away from their home county in all directions.

Beyond that, you can’t drag local talkgroups to the other side of the state. You have to switch to regional/Statewide and/or NIFOG talkgroups.

8iTAC is available statewide if you are in range of a dispatch center that is monitoring those.

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
While on vacation last week, I took my work (PD) issued radio from NE Ohio down to the Cincinnati area just to see if it would work and it affiliated with the sites down there and I was hearing radio traffic just fine.

I'd be curious to see how long the affiliation lasts after one leaves the site.

The affiliation would stop as soon as your radio switch’s to another site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
I don't know all of the details of all of the arrangements with all of the counties -- But, Pretty much every county that has committed to MARCS for public safety has the ability for all of their radios to roam one tower site away from their home county in a 360 degree direction. And I think typically Sheriff Departments on MARCS have access to the system statewide on all towers.

So, no it would not be strange to see neighboring county agencies on your county's towers and vice versa.

And of course, depending upon agreements between agencies and MARCS, there are other agencies that might have some coverage broader than just (county + closest neighboring sites) but may not have full access across the state.

I know our sheriff departments around here really love the fact that if they are doing prisoner transports to other counties, even 4 or 8 counties away, they have complete coverage end-to-end without ever having to depend upon cellular coverage.

Mike

Butler, Warren, Hamilton, and Montgomery counties all subscribe to what’s called Strategic Roaming. Meaning all primary Law, Fire, and EMS talkgroups will not roam from there respective sites. Now fireground and tactical talkgroups can generally roam to adjacent counties surrounding said county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.