Kettering Tower Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPROB00

Premium Subscriber
Dayton PD TRS is down due to the fire at the Kettering Tower, my scanner won't even pick up the control channel anymore. They are in the process of moving everyone over to the county's system. DPD-East is on MCSO Countywide and DPD-West is on MCSO Special Events. Not sure about the MDT's. All fire is being fanned out to other agencies. Very interesting right now. Have not heard any traffic on the Dayton backup talk groups on the county's system.

acegta2002

To correct the talk groups. Dayton East is/ was using Montgomery County Special Events.
The City back up on the county system is not operational, all the radios have not been programmed with the talk goups.

FPO703

acegta2002 said:
To correct the talk groups. Dayton East is/ was using Montgomery County Special Events.
The City back up on the county system is not operational, all the radios have not been programmed with the talk goups.

Sounds like someone needs to get their hindside handed to them for slacking on that.
Those talkgroups should have been programmed in long ago.

16b

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if there was any sort of battery backup for this system (my goodness I hope so)? I'm just wondering if it went off without warning when the power went out or if it stayed on with battery power for a little while.

A number of years ago the Columbus system went completely kaput like this (don't know what the reason was, though). It seemed like nobody had the slightest clue about what to do (except Dublin, of course). This was before the backup talkgroups were established on the county system. Despite what your Motorola salesman told you, your trunking system is *not* invinceable.

acegta2002

The battery backup worked as is should but, they only last so long. The power is still out on the top floors. 0645 Friday

nhiester

Database Admin
Firefighters working at Kettering all had access to a simplex channel and should have been able operate without issues. As far as going to the county backup, Fire has a complete template and reprogramming has already been done. All 5 Icall and Itac repeaters are accessable should the trunk not be.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
The DPD TRS was working yesterday until 8:30-9:00 am. Their switchover sounded smooth. It came back online last night around 10PM.

Everyone seems to be back to normal.

It was 11 months ago that the County/Dayton realigned their talkgroups for interoperability. Backups available for each on each other's system. I agree with FPO, that should have been done. They should get all of the interop stuff done while the iron is still hot and everyone is thinking about mass casualty, possible attacks....etc. By not having it done it also gives politicians garbage to complain about too.

Nathan- What I-Call and I-Tac Trunk repeaters are you referring to? I have never heard Dayton Units make any use of I-Calls on their system or Mont. Co's. I have never heard any trunked repeater usage on I-Tac. I do hear a morse code dialer frequently, but no repeaters. I am interested in you educating me on that, I hope to learn something new today.

16b

Premium Subscriber
I-call & I-tac repeaters are not trunked-they are conventional. If you've heard a morse ID, that is one of the repeaters doing it.

As far as activity, I'm not surprised that you don't hear anything on them. The ones near my house almost *never* get used; they're really only there for backup or rare mutual aid situations.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
16b said:
Ouch!

Sounds like some better backup planning may have been in order.

Actually, the planning was excellent. It was the implementation that fell flat on it's face...

Status
Not open for further replies.