Findlay Police Dog killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9gunner

What a sad situation. I am going to call the PD and see if we can help. I would also be interested in the name of the shooter, and call in a favor for some street justice for him acting like a hillbilly ass and shooting the dog.

edweirdFL

I wonder if the dog had any articles worn on him that identified him as a police dog, at the time of the shooting. I also wonder if the handler is going to get into any trouble as a result of the dog getting loose?

In any case, it's a shame.

Ed

k9gunner

I doubt he had any ID, my police dog does not wear anything to show he is a service dog on duty, or off. Only time he is ID'd is if we are flying on a commercial plane, or if he happens to have his tatical vest on.

k9gunner

Do you have a name, or any other info? A few K9 handlers, and a national K9 association wish to shed some light on this, but we want to be sure to get the facts.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Just curious what kind of info the national association would have on an event like this? This appears to be a pretty cut-n-dry incident. Dangerous dog was in another's yard illegally - he didn't make the best choices, but when it comes to a 2yr-old child I think we all know emotions may change things a bit ;>

k9gunner

We have the info we need. You are right, he was not wrapped too tight, and is getting himself in deeper by lying. It is getting intersting. It is definately not over.

briano

Police Dog

Who is #1?... It's a tie, Me and my Kid.

It would have been nice if the dog did not get loose.
It would have been nice if the dog was identifyable. (this could be debated until the cows come home)

How could the police keep this from happening again? address above 2 issues.

I bet that dog would be intimidating and threating looking if it was just standing still and looking at you. Who knows how it was acting while separated from the handler.

We had an incedent here in Michigan a few years ago where neighbors called police about a large & agressive loose dog. Police came, and the dog came right up and sat next to them. Yep. loose police dog. the dog knew he was 'lost'.. and not happy. he wanted nothing to do with civilians. But he calmed right down when he saw the uniforms. weird but true. ( dog had ID on small tag, not visible from a distance)

delta5

I live 30 mins from Findlay and I dont see where they have any grounds to charge the shooter with anything, especially shooting a police dog "even if you dont know its a police dog". Supposedly this occured OUTSIDE of the city limits, so there it isnt illegal to shoot strays on your property. How many stray dogs get shot because they are getting into your trash or molesting your farm animals? It is very unfortunate that this dog was killed, a big chunk of YOUR tax money just got tossed. But I dont see where the shooter is liable for anything. I think the one responsible for the loss of the dog should be the owner. In any other circumstance, the owner is responsible for his dog and any damages or injuries it may cause. In this case, "shooting a police dog" isnt going to cut it with me, since the dog was a stray.

k9gunner

you need to check the Ohio Revise Code, and research when you are allowed to destroy a dog. Only if it threatenes livestock, and livestock is defind, as well as aggressive towards a human, which he stated that it was not aggressive (until he consulted a lawyer, and tried to change his statement). You think that was tax dollars down the drain, wait until it gets to court. Comes down to this, the handler should not have let it get loose, and he should not have shot it. I will refrain from further comments until this pans out, which will be intersting. There are also going to be some info soon about the shooters past.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
k9 - that may be the state code, but if you read the story that's not what it is defined locally. It won't go to court, regardless of the shooter's past.

k9gunner

rdale, i dont mean in insult you, but you are not the brightest bulb? Local code is for a municipality, which this was outside of. Townships and counties fall under State ORC. I don't think you are getting all the facts up there in MI. It is also seems you don't like authority or the police, are you related to the suspect? Some kind of inside indo you care to share? I have info it is going to be presented to the pros. and they will decide charges, and it looks possible. What info do you have scooter.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Local as in "county" -- the county code is different from the state. Did you read the article? You aren't authority or police, so I'm not sure what your reference is about likes or dislikes. I read the facts, as presented in the article, and the only conclusion that can be made is that this was a bad outcome to a bad situation. Nothing illegal.

Now if the article was dead wrong, or you have a witness that says the dog was running away and he shot it, I suppose there could be more to the story. But for now we have one witness, who said he was afraid of the dog (totally understandable when living in rurual areas) and shot it which was not a violation of the county's law.

Status
Not open for further replies.