Scanner for Columbus OH

Status
Not open for further replies.

enine

Looks like in Columbus (from the RR Database) they use an analog Motorola Smartnet II trucking system. I'm looking at something like the RS pro-97 or Uniden BC246. Anyone have either in Columbus and can tell me for sure they work or don't work?

KR4BD

I am sure the two scanners you have would work fine in Columbus. I have used a Pro-94 and Pro 97 while visiting there and had no problems monitoring the system. Of course, if the system goes digital in the future, these radios would be useless for monitoring it.

kc8qch

I've used a pro-94, 95, 96 and 97 in columbus and have had no problems with the systems at all.Follows all the systems wonderfully. I don;t know of any plans for the systems to go digital (other then MARCS which already is) but if they do then you would have to have a 96 or the uniden equivalant. I've not used the unidens so I can't say one way or the other on thier performance.

16b

Premium Subscriber
I own a BC246T and know a couple of people who own/have owned PRO-97s. I like my BC246, but the dynamic memory system involves a steep learning curve. If you have never really used a scanner before, it might not be so bad, but if you are used to older models it might be a challenge. The PRO97 might be a *little* bit easier to use, but the nature of trunking systems complicates things regardless of what scanner you are using.

Both scanners work perfectly well on all of the Motorola and EDACS trunking systems in the Columbus area (except for MARCS and the new Delaware county system.)

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I own the PRO-2055 (base equivelent of the PRO-97), and it works perfectly for Columbus. As others have said about the PRO-97, it is non-digital, so you won't be able to hear MARCS. The only thing you are really missing on MARCS is the State Patrol. So, either scanner would work for Columbus, there are no plans to go digital any time soon.

kc8qch

DualReverse said:
I would say not for the forseeable future. 5-10 years like...

Good. I had heard rumblings of it at one point, but the person I heard it from was not always the most reliable person with information so you have to take it with a few grains of salt. LOL.

KCChiefs9690 said:
The only thing you are really missing on MARCS is the State Patrol.

And the Local Health Department users who have never used a radio in their lives. I know it's kind of mean but it's still kind of amusing when someone who has never used a radio gets mic fright. Mainly cause we've all been there. I did it myself years ago when I first got my Ham Radio License.

"Um....hello....um....this is....um....*to background* what's our radio name?...What.....oh.... *to radio* This is so-and-so Health department....um...checking in.......oh .....over...."

So cute....

But anyway....something else you may want to look at for a scanner is one that has Alpha tags. The pro-96,97,2055 all have them. trust me it is so much easier then trying to remember that 12345 is City fire and 12346 is city police....I'd cry with out my Alpha tags....

enine

Thanks, I picked one up today. They programmed it for me but my baby was tired so I didn't get to mess with it too much as we had to get him home and in bed for a nap so I'm R'ingTFM now

Status
Not open for further replies.