Ohio MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlinthicum

Just a quick question for the group. I would guess, that the MARCS system is better as a communications system, rather then a data system. The reason I say this, is because I hear the OSP cars from Post 12 in Springfield alway saying, "I'm out of coverage", which I assume means that they are unable to use their mobile data terminal.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
mlinthicum said:
Just a quick question for the group. I would guess, that the MARCS system is better as a communications system, rather then a data system. The reason I say this, is because I hear the OSP cars from Post 12 in Springfield alway saying, "I'm out of coverage", which I assume means that they are unable to use their mobile data terminal.

It appears to be the same way here in East Ohio (jefferson / columbiana / belmont cos) - Quite often they can't get connected with the MDTs or can't get data to/from quickly, or they get disconnected.

However, it isn't always an issue of coverage - it could be that the freqs used for MDT traffic are suffering from interference or it could be that there are too many mobiles actively trying to get MDT information and it can't maintain all of that over a 9600 baud channel. Based upon conversations I hear on MARCS from the OSP folk and based upon how thoroughly they must document everything over MDT - it would not surprise me at all that there are so many cars (which doesn't need to be many) actively trying to keep MDTs connected, get the dispatch to update, open, close screens, etc. etc. that it just can't handle the data from all of them at once without a lot of contention.

But yes, the units around here are always remarking about it.

Mike

k9gunner

Yes, the terminals are spotty, however I think mtindor is correct, the terminals are in constant communication. Any plate that is ran with a problem, ie warrant, stolen, RO DUS, etc sends a notification to dispatch at the post, so there is a lot that the terminal does that it may just not be able to handle. Many times the terminal is not as much "out of coverage" as just froze up.

mmartinfan

Banned
I think one of the pieces of equipment was broke yesterday in the ice storm near the reststop on I-70 at the Clark County/Madison Cnty line.

mlinthicum

I can understand the "overload" issue. I know that Columbus has MDT trouble, when the PD changes shifts. Everyone signing on at the same time would put a strain on the system.

It just seems to me that, for the money the state has put out for the system, they would have factored in the multiple user/data issue.

SLWilson

Platform issue

mlinthicum said:

They are actually working on a fix for this issue. It really isn't a "coverage" issue as I understand it. They have more data tower sites than voice and voice has excellent coverage.

Has something to do with "connectivity" and at what point was the data packet transmission "interupted" in the send. Then, the system has to go back and start completely over (can't take off in the middle of the data transmission) and it may loose contact again.

As I undersand it, they have a data system in the works that "will allow" the transmissoin to pick up where it left off as soon as the signal is there again that should be operational soon.

Steve :)

mdulrich

Feed Provider
I know that I hear quite a bit of "out of coverage" or "stuck in queue" conversations, but I wonder how much of their work gets transmitted just fine. Since a trooper is only reporting when he has a problem, we never know how many times it works properly.

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.