Toledo going WiFi for mobile data

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

FPO703 said:
They are not using unlicensed bands/frequencies. The FCC has many portions of the spectrum allocated for use by Public Safety for Data (WiFi). I don't think anyone is stupid enough to try to attempt to jam encrypted microwave transmissions.

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...hts?db_id=19&callsign=WQDJ214&application_id=

Looks like they have been licensed for it for a while, now.

I saw nothing in the article that referred to the 4.9 GHz public safety band, and did see a lot of references to public access that would be illegal on 4.9GHz.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
FPO703 said:
They are not using unlicensed bands/frequencies. The FCC has many portions of the spectrum allocated for use by Public Safety for Data (WiFi). I don't think anyone is stupid enough to try to attempt to jam encrypted microwave transmissions.

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...hts?db_id=19&callsign=WQDJ214&application_id=

Looks like they have been licensed for it for a while, now.

The link presented by the poster references WiFi that would cover 88 sq mi (the city of Toledo) and which would be used by not only public safety but also by other organizations, residential users, etc. It's not dedicated just to public safety if you go by what the article says. Sure, it can be MMDS freqs or other licensed freqs, but I don't believe it's going to be frequencies specifically designated by the FCC for public safety use since the article talks about the system being shared by all. It could be licensed or unlicensed at this point unless you know differently for a fact.

That leaves the potential for exploitation, jamming (at the very least by users systems turned into infectious spew at the very least), major interference / congestion / contention a big factor. Good thing MDTs don't need a lot of bandwidth.

In this scenario it is likely that all PS devices accessing via Wireless would be over encrypted VPN to a central server. That would eliminate the 'outside' from getting in and quite likely (as a matter of policy) eliminate the PS users from accessing the global internet.

Mike

N

N_Jay

mtindor said:
The link presented by the poster references WiFi that would cover 88 sq mi (the city of Toledo) and which would be used by not only public safety but also by other organizations, residential users, etc. It's not dedicated just to public safety if you go by what the article says. Sure, it can be MMDS freqs or other licensed freqs, but I don't believe it's going to be frequencies specifically designated by the FCC for public safety use since the article talks about the system being shared by all. It could be licensed or unlicensed at this point unless you know differently for a fact.

That leaves the potential for exploitation, jamming (at the very least by users systems turned into infectious spew at the very least), major interference / congestion / contention a big factor. Good thing MDTs don't need a lot of bandwidth.

In this scenario it is likely that all PS devices accessing via Wireless would be over encrypted VPN to a central server. That would eliminate the 'outside' from getting in and quite likely (as a matter of policy) eliminate the PS users from accessing the global internet.

Mike

They could be putting in a WiFi/4.9 system with dual radios, but the reporter did not even hint at it.:roll:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
N_Jay said:
They could be putting in a WiFi/4.9 system with dual radios, but the reporter did not even hint at it.:roll:

That's true - I'm just going by what the article said - even worse, I don't even live around there and have no clue what they are up to. Just commenting based upon the article :)

M

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
ajpritch said:
The City of Dublin is in the prcoess of rolling their's out for the entire City not just public Saftey but all of the service trucks also.

MDTs for the service trucks... that's Dublin for ya!!

FPO703

If they install GPS units in the service trucks, they will be able to tell when the workers are snoozing instead of working. :)

Kind of like the postal carriers in some areas.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
N_Jay said:
Why not?

Good way to send work orders.

It is. And Dublin is one of the few places around with the wherewithall to make it happen; not too many other places would even think of it, much less have the ability to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.