Cleveland - Tons of Jet Contrails

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Anyone notice this today? I couldn't believe it - there were at least 30 jet contrails lingering in the sky at once, going all different different directions.

WEWS.com says it's because of atmospheric conditions, but WKYC said it was due to increased military traffic.

I did some monitoring but heard nothing. Anyone catch anything?

-----------

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=64133

Why are military planes in the sky over Cleveland Thursday?

Created: 3/8/2007 4:20:44 PM
Updated:3/8/2007 4:24:02 PM

CLEVELAND -- Clear skies are revealing what seems like increased air traffic over Cleveland Thursday -- including military maneuvers.
Cleveland Hopkins Media Relations Manager Pat Smith told Channel 3 News that this is not an unusual occurrence.

"The military conducts maneuvers like this all the time and thanks to the good weather they've been up for a while and we're seeing it," Smith said. "Hopkins also has a refueling station so planes land there a lot to refuel."

The FAA also confirmed that nothing unusual was going on Thursday.

marcp90

Premium Subscriber
This picture was taken at 5:50 PM EST. There are a lot of jets around Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago. I live in Michigan near Detroit and also noticed a lot of jet contrails. Sorry about the quality, not that smart when it comes to editing photos. But you get the picture.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    63 KB · Views: 821
Last edited:

rfsparkz

Premium Subscriber
I also noticed many contrails while at work in Alliston Ontario which is just 30-40 minutes north of YYZ

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I was listening to WTAM 1100 Cleveland at 6:30pm tonight, and Mike Trivisonno had a ham on from Northfield (OH), who was explaining about EAM and Skyking messages on 11.175 and 8.992, and played a prerecorded SKYKING message from today from Offut AFB. Also he cut in with another EAM that was happening during the broadcast.

The ham did a good job in not being over dramatic, and just explained EAMs for what they were - maybe meant for this region, maybe meant for somewhere else, we'll never know.

Other callers were detailed how they saw jets making right angle turns with contrails going on and off.

Ha, EAM NOW on 11.175 from Andrews!

mancow

Database Admin
I heard tons of milair traffic as well on the regular ACC Uhf frequencies around noon today as well.

Hmmm..... wonder what's up.

Cobra_Commander

InvisibleIndividual
Premium Subscriber
I was at work and also was listening to mike trivionsiono and heard the guy from Northfield this stuff is real strange.

gcgrotz

eorange said:
The FAA also confirmed that nothing unusual was going on Thursday.

Now that is reassuring! I feel safer already.

Seriously though, you guys should check on the MD forum under the MilAir II sticky. Those guys know what's going on for several states around.

RACETOYS7

marcp90 said:
This picture was taken at 5:50 PM EST. There are a lot of jets around Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago. I live in Michigan near Detroit and also noticed a lot of jet contrails. Sorry about the quality, not that smart when it comes to editing photos. But you get the picture.
What site was that screen picture from?

Status
Not open for further replies.