Hearing Life Flight on MARCS in Dayton

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
For almost a week solid now, I have been hearing Toldo Life Flight on MARCS via the Dayton Site.

Now before everyone gets on here and tries to give me a MARCS tutorial, I already have gotten one! I have placed the 396 on hold and listened to them for a period of time and heard none of their units even close to SW Ohio, mobile or air.

The thought of someone down this way with a radio turned on to that talkgroup doesnt wash, and if they were passing through, certainly the tower would have ended affiliation after they had passed to another site.

I have heard their dispatcher refer to "University 1" last weekend. Anyone have any ideas who that might be? Didnt know if AirCare in Cincy may be switching dispatch or something. Im inclined to say no, because when I heard University 1, they werent coming from or going to anywhere I recognized down here at this end of the state.

Dont get me wrong!!! Im not complaining.....just trying to understand why their talkgroup is staying alive on the site here.

jpryor

"University 1" and 2 are the UH Hospital helicopters in the Metro Cleveland area that Toledo Life Flight dispatches for. Maybe somebody down your way that has Trunker can check to see who or what radio is or keeps affiliating down on the Dayton site.

Can you hear them still right now?

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the UH info Jeff....at least that eliminates UC from the list of possibilities.

I've had MARCS turned off for the last few minutes as I have been reading/posting on here. Havent heard anything yet.

The Batavia post is hitting the Dayton site real hard right now. Go figure that one. They are in Clermont County with a TON of sites in between.....but it sounds like they had a pretty severe crash down that way a bit earlier....maybe someone from OSP around here has their MARCS radio on and is at home listening.

If I hear the Life Flight TG in the next few minutes, I will post again and let you know.

Thanks!!

dwelty

Premium Subscriber
Lifeflight, Careflight, and Dove Flight

For what its worth, Thursday morning, I heard Toledo Lifeflight talking to Careflight dispatch on 462.95 that they were passing thru on their way to Cincinnati Childrens Hospital and woth Careflight advise there dispatcher of there location. Also, last week ago on Saturday 5-19, Careflight was requested to go to Bradford to pickup a shooting victim and no Careflight helo was available, so Dove Flight from Indianapolis was called, 25 min ETA. Due to the long ETA, they had Doveflight go to Upper Valley in Troy and meet the squad at the helipad. Dove flight had never been to UVMC and had some trouble finding UVMC. After picking up the Patient, they then flew to Miami Valley.

FPO703

University 1 is University MedEvac 1 based at Geauga County Airport in Middlefield.
University 2 is University MedEvac 2 based at Akron-Fulton Airport in Akron. University 2 used to be based at Lorain County Regional Airport until recently. Supposedly this move was made because of more flight requests out of the Akron/Canton area. Ironically enough, Metro Life Flight 3 is based at Aultman Hospital in Canton. So, the Akron/Canton area is pretty well covered.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
I figured it out

It turns out that Careflight Communications (now called CareCom) has a MARCS radio now. They have the TG's for the other helicopter services in their radio at MVH. Over the weekend, I heard the MVH dispatcher talking to MedFlight's dispatcher about a flight.

At least that explains the tower affiliation. If anyone hasnt seen the Database update yet, MVH is using TG 38032. No helicopters heard here yet, just dispatch.

Coincidentally, TG 38032 is also listed for Careflight on the Dayton TRS. They also have TG 38000 listed. I put TG 38000 in my 396 for MARCS and havent heard anything yet. I have never heard traffic on either of the TG's on Dayton's TRS.

LPROB00

Premium Subscriber
Careflight

Just a funny tidbit. Last Friday afternoon around 1730hrs I heard Careflight starting to be dispatched over Post 57's Dispatch TG and then it quickly ended. Still learning how to use the radio I suppose. Make you wonder who they are all able to communicate with at MVH and aboard the helicopter?

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Interesting you mentioned that......

I have heard some "whacky" transmissions like that too. On the new Careflight TG Saturday, just as the transmission ended, Post 29's main TG came through for a few seconds, then stopped.

On the way home from work tonight, I heard the Cambridge post come across the "68 side" of the Post 57 TG.

Go figure......

jbdx241

I live in Huntington WV and about 90% of Huntington Healthnet and medflight is on MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.