motorcycle patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

algier

osp is training area troppers to patrol 275 loop i-75 i-71 around cincinnati talked to 1 of them today while i was at a traffic light he said they where being trained by 1 of columbus motorcycle cops so be prepaired on seeing them around

CVPI4Ever

The Ohio State Highway Patrol uses the Harley-Davidson FLHTP-I Electra Glide

It started as a piolet program in the Columbus area but the plan was to expand Motorcycle Troopers state-wide.

Attachments

• cnpca7451-vi.jpg
    cnpca7451-vi.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 2,162
  • cnpca7451a-vi.jpg
    cnpca7451a-vi.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 3,074

kc8qch

NIce looking bike....Think they'll take offence if we call them "Panch"?

Also should make for some good listening on MARCS locally...

k9gunner

I noticed on 275 jut west of 75 7 of them stacked up stopping cars and handing out the 7's.

dgnagy

Troopers back on their Harleys; article in The Repository www.cantonrep.com

Troopers back on their Harleys

CINCINNATI Troopers are once again patrolling the Cincinnati-area's highways on motorcycles - the first time the Ohio Highway Patrol has used two-wheels to respond to accidents and chase down speeders in the region since the 1950s.

Highway patrolmen set out on Interstate 275 and Interstate 75 on Friday, spokesman Lt. Tony Bradshaw said.

Troopers started riding Harley-Davidson motorcycles in and around Columbus last summer, with state officials predicting that car accidents will be cleaned up quicker since the more maneuverable motorcycle troopers can weave through congested traffic and arrive on scene faster than patrol cars.

Troopers spent a month last year patrolling Cincinnati's highways on the Harleys, and data encouraged officials to make the trial program permanent.

With the new addition, the highway patrol has 16 motorcycles serving two metropolitan areas in Ohio.

Motorcycle officers made 3,257 stops throughout the state - including the Cincinnati-area - between June 1 and Sept. 30 last year. Of those stops, 843 people were given citations for aggressive driving-type infractions.

When the Highway Patrol first took to the streets in 1933, nearly all 60 officers rode motorcycles.

Harsh winters, safety concerns and the need to carry more equipment forced the patrol to abandon bikes for cars in 1956.

This time around, troopers have received a heavy dose of training and safety instruction. Officers will also receive leather jackets with the Harley-style fringe and chaps for the colder days, Sgt. Eric Widmyer said.

jerk

dgnagy said:
Troopers back on their Harleys

CINCINNATI Troopers are once again patrolling the Cincinnati-area's highways on motorcycles - the first time the Ohio Highway Patrol has used two-wheels to respond to accidents and chase down speeders in the region since the 1950s.
\SNIP

I wonder if using radar or Laser. In Indiana they use laser, hard to detect and hard to see the motorcycles on the left hand side of the road near the crash barrier. either way they will be hard to see when taking "pictures" which means for money for the State.

AL

CVPI4Ever

publicsafetyvehicles said:
Hey CVPI4ever,

You forgot to use the best of my (copyrighted) OSHP bike photographs in your post. This one shows the radio...
If you're a police officer or trooper, please disregard. If not, please ask before copying and cropping.

- Andy (publicsafetyvehicles at fotki)
I apologize for not knowing they were copyrighted. I wont post them here or anywhere else in the future. But I am missing something:

"If you're a police officer or trooper, please disregard. If not, please ask before copying and cropping."

So for "Joe Citizen" its not ok to use but if you are an LEO, its ok?

I got the pictures from the National Police Car Archives on their Ohio page
http://www.policecararchives.org/ohio/ohio.html

I have contributed pics to that site also.

Last edited:

CVPI4Ever

publicsafetyvehicles said:
Hey CVPI4ever,

You forgot to use the best of my (copyrighted) OSHP bike photographs in your post. This one shows the radio...
If you're a police officer or trooper, please disregard. If not, please ask before copying and cropping.

- Andy (publicsafetyvehicles at fotki)
I apologize for not knowing they were copyrighted. I wont post them here or anywhere else in the future. But I am missing something:

"If you're a police officer or trooper, please disregard. If not, please ask before copying and cropping."

CVPI4Ever said:

You're fine. I apologize for the inconvenience here, but a few of my pics have wound up in recent months on anti-cop websites and I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't associated with anti-cop / anti-gov websites.

Again, I SINCERELY apologize for any inconvenience here! I didn't realize that NPCA's photos weren't left-click "protected" as we both use the same online photo gallery / storage website. Since this is the case, please DO feel free to copy and paste as you feel necessary here.

Again, I apologize!

CVPI4Ever said:

You're fine. I apologize for the inconvenience here, but a few of my pics have wound up in recent months on anti-cop websites and I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't associated with anti-cop / anti-gov websites.

Again, I SINCERELY apologize for any inconvenience here! I didn't realize that NPCA's photos weren't left-click "protected" as we both use the same online photo gallery / storage website. Since this is the case, please DO feel free to copy and paste as you feel necessary here.

Again, I apologize!

k9gunner

mmartinfan said:
Lighten up Frances. Its not a picture of Paris Hilton crying here.
I wish I could send you green rep! LOL!!!!

I love when people open their mouth, only to insert their foot later.

Mylan

Feed Provider
Is that a real Gahanna patrol car in the background of the pic or what the heck is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.