USAF Thunderbirds active now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
I'm listening to 141.85 AM and hearing the Thunderbirds scout out landmarks for their upcoming performance at the Dayton Air Show.

subclavius

Thanks! I'll keep a lookout on that frequency on my IC-R2 until I can get my BCD396T fixed. The air show is coming to Cleveland pretty soon.

What's your opinion on the IC-R20? The R2 is my first Icom and I am very impressed with it's build and durability, but the damn things a bear to program or operate on-the-fly without the owner's manual handy. I assume it isn't as much of an issue with the larger models because of the full keypad.

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
I have an R20 and don’t use it much. I prefer the AOR AR8200MKIII. The R20 display is a bit nicer, the construction a bit more solid & battery life longer. That being said it does not seem to be as sensitive as the 8200 or as versatile. I wouldn’t sell my R20 but I would not grab it fist on the run either.

BigJimbo

Premium Subscriber
I like my R-20, but you are correct. It is a monster to program. I have made a few attempts at it, by hand and with the software and havent had good results. The full keypad makes it much easier to use in the field and dual watch is great. Having the high-end of the 800 Mhz range blocked is not a plus at all, but the built in recorder is awesome. I have recorded several interesting events with it and it works great.

The Lithium Ion battery is excellent. It lasts better than 16 hours. Sensitivity is somewhat of a toss-up. I've heard the R-5 can out do the R-20, but it is supposedly even more difficult to use.

Of all the equipment I have, I must admint that the Yaesu VX-7R is the hottest little receiving radio I have ever had. It flat-out smokes all the other gear I have for receiving signals on conventional frequencies. I can have all of the rigs you see on my signature running side by side and the Yaesu will pull something in that none of the others will hear.

If I had to grab one going out the door in a hurry, it would be the 396. Make sure to check out the Monix page for all the T-Bird freqs. They are all correct after listening to them Thursday and Friday. I did hear some ground traffic on UHF today too.

Status
Not open for further replies.