Ohio Noob: Wilmington area...first "modern" scanner suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinTheMule

Hi. I've been lurking around the forums a bit and have a few questions about my local systems.

I was leaning towards a BCT15 for my first modern base/mobile (will be used 95% base). From what I've gleaned, the Wilmington PD (Clinton Cty) are on the Ohio MARCS digital system...is that correct? In that case, I guess I need a digital trunk tracking scanner like the BCD996.

I don't want to "overbuy" right outta the gates, so any local people with advice would help.

Thanks,

Kevin

KevinTheMule

fordcobra04 said:
Actually, City of Wilmington/Clinton County is on a EDACS system. This is the information for the Clinton Co. system.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=1381

A BCT15 will work just fine for what you need.

Thanks Ford,

What is this line, then from the link below?:

359 Wilmington (Clinton) 867.48750 867.88750 868.28750*

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=901

Again, I'm a noob to the modern trunking systems...be they analog or digital, so I'm sure my questions are basic.

I'm in the Clinton/Warren/Clermont area and mainly want to monitor Police/Fire/EMS and maybe some air traffic. Is there anything local (or will there be in the near future) that you think I would need a digital scanner for?

Thanks,

Kevin

mdulrich

Feed Provider
KevinTheMule said:
What is this line, then from the link below?:

359 Wilmington (Clinton) 867.48750 867.88750 868.28750*

Those are the frequencies used for the Clinton County site on the MARCS system. A MARCS site being in a county have nothing to do with the local agencies in that county using the MARCS system.

Mike

KevinTheMule

Thanks Mike,

I guess my most important question is this: will I be missing anything major if I choose to get an analog scanner for my first? Since finding out that most of my surrounding counties are analog, I think the only thing I'll be missing is OSHP...can you guys think of anything else that would make buying a digital worth it for someone just entering the modern era of the hobby.

An additional question: If I do decide on an analog scanner the base/mobile option I had in mind is the BCT15...If I go the handheld route I was thinking the BC246T...will an external antenna provide equal reception results for me?

Thanks again,

Kevin

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Personally I would get a digital scanner UNLESS Clinton County is the only thing you want
to listen to. Wilmington (Post 14) is the District HQ for OSP District 8, they are pretty busy.
If you ever venture into Cincinnati/Hamilton County and want to listen you will need a
digital scanner, and Clermont County as well.
Depending on where you live you may be able to hear the Wright Patterson AFB system which now runs digital voice.

If you still want to stick to just the analog systems, then the Pro-97 is very effective low cost scanner for Clinton County.
You could also monitor the DHL LTR system at Airborne with it.

I know the Clinton County system is a rather low proflie system and does not extend much beyond the county borders.
I don't receive it mobile until I get around Caesar Creek.

KevinTheMule

radioscan said:
Personally I would get a digital scanner UNLESS Clinton County is the only thing you want
to listen to. Wilmington (Post 14) is the District HQ for OSP District 8, they are pretty busy.
If you ever venture into Cincinnati/Hamilton County and want to listen you will need a
digital scanner, and Clermont County as well.
Depending on where you live you may be able to hear the Wright Patterson AFB system which now runs digital voice.

If you still want to stick to just the analog systems, then the Pro-97 is very effective low cost scanner for Clinton County.
You could also monitor the DHL LTR system at Airborne with it.

I know the Clinton County system is a rather low proflie system and does not extend much beyond the county borders.
I don't receive it mobile until I get around Caesar Creek.

Here's what I was thinking: For my base unit, which will be used 95% in my basement office I was thinking the BCT15, which will keep me covered on almost everything in local law/Fire/EMS...as well as DHL air traffic...excluding OSHP. I'm kind of strapped for cash now, so I need to think lean as far as outlay at this point...in my future plans I see a 396 as a handheld unit...in my thinking, monitoring the OSHP is more important when I'm on the roads as opposed to when I'm here at "paranoia command central" lol. My future uses for a handheld will also include horse camping at state parks, horse shows, etc.

I guess now that I type it all out...what will a base unit give me that a good digital handheld won't? Should I just suck it up and buy the 396? I'm assuming I can connect an external antenna to the handheld just like I would the BCT15 yes?

-Kev

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
KevinTheMule said:
I guess now that I type it all out...what will a base unit give me that a good digital handheld won't? Should I just suck it up and buy the 396? I'm assuming I can connect an external antenna to the handheld just like I would the BCT15 yes?

-Kev

You can hook up an external antenna to any scanner, handheld or base.

Status
Not open for further replies.