Hamilton County - Indiana Safe-T on MARCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnCowboy

Has anyone noticed any Indiana traffic coming across the MARCS frequencies in SW OH? I could have sworn I heard Aurora, Indiana EMS traffic (especially after listening to them talking on their FM channel just minutes earlier) off the Lebanon site frequencies. I compared the freqs of Indiana and that Lebanon site but didn't see any similarities. Maybe I saw the wrong site? Looked at a few other sites in OH in the area too and didn't find a repeat.... Looked up the MOT #29392 w/IN and it labels it Dearborn Co. EMS... hmm, checking another MOT# that came up earlier that I couldn't find in MARCS and on Safe-T, labels it as Dist.42 dispatch... makes more sense since it sounded like PD traffic and on MARCS it labeled that #28560 as E. Liverpool health dept... will have to keep better track of the site/s that are slipping these IN numbers through.... guess till then can just lock em out.

jerk

LawnCowboy said:
Has anyone noticed any Indiana traffic coming across the MARCS frequencies in SW OH? I could have sworn I heard Aurora, Indiana EMS traffic (especially after listening to them talking on their FM channel just minutes earlier) off the Lebanon site frequencies. I compared the freqs of Indiana and that Lebanon site but didn't see any similarities. Maybe I saw the wrong site? Looked at a few other sites in OH in the area too and didn't find a repeat.... Looked up the MOT #29392 w/IN and it labels it Dearborn Co. EMS... hmm, checking another MOT# that came up earlier that I couldn't find in MARCS and on Safe-T, labels it as Dist.42 dispatch... makes more sense since it sounded like PD traffic and on MARCS it labeled that #28560 as E. Liverpool health dept... will have to keep better track of the site/s that are slipping these IN numbers through.... guess till then can just lock em out.
If Indiana numbers, proabbaly getting Control Channels or frequncies progammed as MARCS but used elsewhere in State, but picked up by your scanner in MARCS bank but licensed by Indiana. The tone groups should not match, so I say either CC pick up or Frequency pick up.
which are reused ferom one area to another.

Watch for the frequency being used on the scanner or place on hold to get the system id.
That should narrow it down.
AL

LawnCowboy

Sorry Al, didn't understand much of what ya said but think I get the jest of it... but didn't see any repeat Control Channels OR frequences between IN and OH MARCS on the tower site I believed it to be coming from....Will keep better track of it and try to respond back to this sometime.... and thanks Hoser, glad I'm not the only one...

jerk

LawnCowboy said:
Sorry Al, didn't understand much of what ya said but think I get the jest of it... but didn't see any repeat Control Channels OR frequences between IN and OH MARCS on the tower site I believed it to be coming from....Will keep better track of it and try to respond back to this sometime.... and thanks Hoser, glad I'm not the only one...
Yes, it was clear as mud. I guess the simplest thing is to watch the frequency that the talkgroup is stopping on or the scanner is stopping on and seeing what it is... and then going form there.

I have CC for Safe-T in my scanner and it picks up two CC's, one for the system I want in the area I'm traveling to, and the other for my local area which I do not want to receive.

But I am redoing my setup for that area to better separate.
If conditions are right, I can pick up two to three CC for MARCS in my area from 70+ miles away.

hoser147

Some of the traffic Ive got from the SafeT network were 60 to 70miles away North of Ft. Wayne and I was optimal conditions as I was also listening to other Dept.s that I usually dont get as well. It was just prior to a storm event and the extra traffic was a nice unwanted thing as the front was coming thru Northern Indiana at the time. Good Scannin Hoser

LawnCowboy

Ok, I figure it out. I think! I got some Decatur County, Indiana traffic a little bit ago which is a ways off from Cincinnati. Looked on the Decatur Control Channel sites and didn't find a matching frequency... then went back to OSP site I saw it come from... turns out, Lebanon as I thought before WAS the right site.

Lebanon, OH and Versailles, IN share a frequency/control channel. It is a secondary control channel for Lebanon and a primary control channel for Versailles... so next I thought about it and as I hit manual on my Pro-96 through my MARCS Bank, I saw Lebanon sites come up and the first one I came to was an INDIANA system ID A40B for freq. 868.3875.. hit manual again and I was on another control channel that shows the system ID as 6F16 - MARCS.... soooo, now this sheds light on the situation...

I'm guessing I can cure this problem fairly simply by rearranging my order of the Lebanon site frequencies??? Put the SHARED freq. at the end of the channels that I have listed for Lebanon? That way the scanner will first see the other freq. first and if Lebanon is on them, it will negate the other control channel because there won't be a skip/empty slot/non-motorola channel behind the others.... thus not hear Indiana traffic in my OSP bank!!?? correct??? and guessing then if the shared freq. is the last channel of the Lebanon site (the shared freq) and Lebanon and Versailles are using the same control channel, I will hear Lebanon since I am closer to that site!? You'd think with all the frequencies there would be a way that two sites close together like that wouldn't use duplicate control channels...

jerk

LawnCowboy said:
Ok, I figure it out. I think! I got some Decatur County, Indiana traffic a little bit ago which is a ways off from Cincinnati. Looked on the Decatur Control Channel sites and didn't find a matching frequency... then went back to OSP site I saw it come from... turns out, Lebanon as I thought before WAS the right site.

Lebanon, OH and Versailles, IN share a frequency/control channel. It is a secondary control channel for Lebanon and a primary control channel for Versailles... so next I thought about it and as I hit manual on my Pro-96 through my MARCS Bank, I saw Lebanon sites come up and the first one I came to was an INDIANA system ID A40B for freq. 868.3875.. hit manual again and I was on another control channel that shows the system ID as 6F16 - MARCS.... soooo, now this sheds light on the situation...

I'm guessing I can cure this problem fairly simply by rearranging my order of the Lebanon site frequencies??? Put the SHARED freq. at the end of the channels that I have listed for Lebanon? That way the scanner will first see the other freq. first and if Lebanon is on them, it will negate the other control channel because there won't be a skip/empty slot/non-motorola channel behind the others.... thus not hear Indiana traffic in my OSP bank!!?? correct??? and guessing then if the shared freq. is the last channel of the Lebanon site (the shared freq) and Lebanon and Versailles are using the same control channel, I will hear Lebanon since I am closer to that site!? You'd think with all the frequencies there would be a way that two sites close together like that wouldn't use duplicate control channels...
At least the pro-96 handles it better than the BCD396, but I've done it and had the same problem with other systems. If I don't turn off MARCS as I travel into Indiana the same thing happens.

AL

Status
Not open for further replies.