Help With Scanner Purchase Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackRider

Greetings...I'm looking to purchase a scanner pretty soon (either online or a Black Friday special) and I'm not sure if I should start out with a digital scanner. I live in Warren county in the Hamilton Township/Maineville area (near Kings Island). The first reason I'm looking at purchasing a scanner is so that I can pickup some of the communications during air shows (especially the Dayton Air show). So that pretty much means I'll be buying a hand held unit. Secondarily I would like to be able to pickup local police, fire and such. There's not a whole lot of info about this area in the database so I was hoping there might be somebody who is familiar with the area who can help me out. I'm guessing that such a small area right now hasn't gone digital but I want to make sure there isn't anything scheduled to switch over in the near future. I would rather go cheaper on my first scanner but then again I don't want to have to look at another scanner to quickly.

Thanks for your help!
Ken

xusmarine1979

Welcome to the club. I own a Pro 96 which recieves digital. For your area I think the Pro 97 should do you well. I don't own any Uniden radios so someone else should be able to help you out there. I think they're about $200. Then there's the Pro 528 and I think they're between $150-$200... If you still think that's a little high you could always check the classifieds for the website. You'd probably find a great deal on a used one.

Last edited:

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Ken,

I live in northwestern Warren County. All agencies in Warren County use the trunk system.
It is analog and easy to track with any trunktracking scanner. There is still some VHF/UHF use by public safety/service its all listed in database here.
I do suggest you purchase a digital scanner if you wish to listen to the Ohio State Higway Patrol or any other state agencies.
The MARCS system is current analog but uses digital voice. Also if you venture in to neighboring Hamilton County
at all and want to listen you will need a digital scanner and Butler County will have a countywide digital system online in early 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.